Author Topic: Anybody else going to AKFest 2008?  (Read 9016 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Anybody else going to AKFest 2008?
« on: May 02, 2008, 06:07:44 AM »
Subject says it all.  I'll be there starting tonight and be in the David Michael Audio room most of the weekend.  Drop by if you're going to be around.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Anybody else going to AKFest 2008?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:49:10 AM »
OK.  Short report...

AKFest was a good time.  Much smaller than RMAF and the rooms were a bit challenging but overall, a nice show.  It was about double the size of last year and is expected to grow even more next year. 

The room we were in was from David Michal Audio in Royal Oak, Michigan.  Exemplar tube CD player, Belles 2 chassis preamp, Belles 75W Class A monos and the newest Harbeth 40.1 speakers.  While not the ultimate in detail ( and a bit too much speaker for that small room), the midrange was absolutely gorgeous. Very nice imaging under difficult conditions.  On Sunday, David brought the baby Harbeths and just blew everybody away.  A 4" sealed woofer 2 way that was doing high 40's pretty well in-room and absolutely disappearing into the room.  Soundstage was exceptional.

The other treat for me at the show was listening to Jim Salk's new OB design driven by Frank VanAlstine's new differential amp/preamp.   Got to listen to the same setup with the HT3's in the next room over.  My personal opinion, the new OBs absolutely stole the show.  Very big and bold sound, easy to listen to, good imaging, and just generally effortless to listen to.  I didn't get to spend a bunch of time in there as I had room duty all day both days but this is something that very much fits my personal tastes.

I listened to the Ushers upstairs with the Audio Space 805 bases monos and preamp.  Surprisingly good, tight controlled bass for a tube amp (or any amp for that matter) yet still all the nice attributes of tube amplification.  From what I heard, if it was a solid state amp on them, they'd likely have been a bit bright on top for my taste but certainly one of the best rooms at the show.

Bryan 
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Anybody else going to AKFest 2008?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:53:40 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope it was successful trip for you and Glenn.

Your comments match my impression about the new Harbeth 40s at RMAF. All the Harbeths blend into rooms very well, maybe the leaky cabinets.

Thanks Bry