Author Topic: Meet the HAL Magnetar open baffle planar speaker  (Read 6952 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Meet the HAL Magnetar open baffle planar speaker
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 05:03:30 AM »
I will be picking up the first pair of the Magnetar open baffle planar speaker baffles on Monday.  Should have the planars installed and ready for some listening soon after that.

Stay tuned to this thread for updates.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 08:13:28 PM »
The production style Magnetar planar open baffles have arrived. 

Installing the drivers and wiring.   Then some pictures in the room.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 08:15:25 PM »
Thanks for the updates, Rich 👍
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 09:35:57 PM »
Rich it's sad that we will not be able to hear these at CAF this year, but I can understand why you would be doing RMAF instead.

But hopefully, being a fairly local you will be able to make to the show as an attendee and we will be able to get  together with a bunch of other AN members as I know a number of folks are hoping that things are safe enough for us to gather there. One of my favorite parts of the shows is getting the chance to meet face to face and hang out with some of the folks I spend time chatting with here during the rest of the year.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 03:45:03 AM »
tmazz,
If you are fairly local, a listening demo of the Magnetar's at my place is always a possibility. 

It will be ready for visits after my final vaccine the end of April and the listening room redo that is going on now.  Hopefully by June things will be getting back to more normal.

As part of this, I have a new Ottlite in the listening room for UVC cleaning of the area, as new technology is providing continuous not harmful to people cleaning capability.   Will be ones in my work areas and these will go to the shows as well.

Keeping everyone safe in this new era is going to take some thinking, but it has also brought new items to face the challenge.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 08:41:18 AM »
I am on Long Island, so while a 5 hour drive to the DC area is doable for a weekend event like CAF, it isn’t really a practical drive for a day trip, but thanks for the offer.

Keeping my fingers crossed that CAF will be a practical reality this year and we can all meet up there.

BTW, for anyone who is interested in this year’s CAF, the Rockville Hilton is taking reservation right now for that weekend with room rates that are cheaper than the show special rates from last year. And you can cancel the reservations up until, two days before you arrive, so there is no risk if the show does go down as planned. I’ve got my room reserved just in case and I know a few other ANers who have done the same.

Like the Boy Scouts say, Be Prepared.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:42:53 AM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 12:07:17 PM »
Very nice.  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 04:33:57 PM »
The first production style pair of the Magnetar open baffle planar speaker built and wired up for listening trials.

The dspNexus 2x8 is doing the DSP crossover for the speakers and the Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblocks with modified gain will drive the planars directly.  Using 18in of Analysis Plus Clear Oval 14 awg speaker cable to the amps.

Will be using the GR-Research/Rythmik Audio servo sub array for below 250Hz crossover to the Magnetar's.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 05:47:21 PM »
The first production style pair of the Magnetar open baffle planar speaker built and wired up for listening trials.

The dspNexus 2x8 is doing the DSP crossover for the speakers and the Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblocks with modified gain will drive the planars directly.  Using 18in of Analysis Plus Clear Oval 14 awg speaker cable to the amps.

Will be using the GR-Research/Rythmik Audio servo sub array for below 250Hz crossover to the Magnetar's.

Glad I clicked on the enlargement...that looks great, Rich  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 05:58:27 PM »
Nick,
Thanks!  Been a long gestation period!

The fun part is the DigiBUSS from Dave arrived today!  That will provide clean AC power to the system! :thumb:

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 04:06:23 AM »
The listening room redo beginning with the Magnetar speakers setup on Pangea 32" stands.  The Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblock amps sit on the rear of the baffle.  Will use a 3x12 configuration of the GR-Research OB servo subs with a single Rythmik Audio HX300-12OB servo amp.

The dspNexus 2x8 is the entire front end for analog and digital sources.  It will also do RIAA phono EQ with a flat gain preamp in front. 

Will be setting up my updated Oracle Delphi MKI table for use with the modified DSA Phono One preamp that provides flat gain with balanced outputs to drive the ADC's in the dspNexus 2x8.  The SME Series III arm with Shure Ultra 500 phono cartridge with Shure Micro Ridge stylus.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 09:00:28 AM »
The listening room redo beginning with the Magnetar speakers setup on Pangea 32" stands.  The Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblock amps sit on the rear of the baffle.  Will use a 3x12 configuration of the GR-Research OB servo subs with a single Rythmik Audio HX300-12OB servo amp.

The dspNexus 2x8 is the entire front end for analog and digital sources.  It will also do RIAA phono EQ with a flat gain preamp in front. 

Will be setting up my updated Oracle Delphi MKI table for use with the modified DSA Phono One preamp that provides flat gain with balanced outputs to drive the ADC's in the dspNexus 2x8.  The SME Series III arm with Shure Ultra 500 phono cartridge with Shure Micro Ridge stylus.

Very nice setup including your phono.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 06:02:53 PM »
Thanks Nick!

Got the HAL MS-6 Music Server and dspNexus 2x8 setup and trying out the Magnetar DSP crossover with the new baffles and new monoblocks.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2021, 06:13:48 PM »

Rich, you need more stuff  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 06:32:13 PM »
Dave,
LOL!!

Rich