Author Topic: 300B Mono blocks  (Read 731 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: 300B Mono blocks
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 07:49:07 AM »
  Personal use.  Thanks.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Mad Scientist, Swiss Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 07:49:56 AM »
Hey Charles. Sorry if I missed it but are you looking for a product to carry or just something to be best able to showcase the speakers.
I would look into 2A3 or 45 power. When I had the Usher D2 speakers (98dB with TAD horn), anything from 1.5 warts provided a great presentation. I loved the 45 amps I had with them.

Which one ?

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Mad Scientist, Swiss Cables

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio/Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 08:04:57 AM »
Hi Charles, while it's no longer available, it was the Welborne Labs 45 mono blocs.  If your only looming for something for personal use, maybe have someone custom build the perfect amp for your needs and preferences.
Design Engineer
Raven Audio
Purity Audio
Musica Bella
www.RavenAudio.com
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline doug s.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 12:08:13 AM »
don't forget the almarro a205a mkii.  while sep, not set, it's a killer amp at any price, and quite inexpensive.  the yamamoto a-08-s also has gotten rave reviews, at quite a bit higher cost; yet the folks at 6 moons said the almarro was in the same league sonically.  i've never heard the yamamoto; my a-08s has driven both my oris horns and coincident victory's beautifully.

doug s.

Offline rodge827

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 06:41:56 PM »
Radu Tarta at Simple Pleasures will custom build any amp you want. Would love to own his turbo 45 based on the 45b tube from EML.  Heís a great guy and has done some work for me on my preamp.

https://simplepleasuretubeamps.wordpress.com/
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
Alexander Hamilton

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 10:29:59 PM »
Hi rodge827,
Welcome to the forum!
Nick
ICEpower 1200as2 amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Auralic Aries Mini & Mojo Audio lps
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline doug s.

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 11:35:01 PM »
hey charlie, you should check out this guy's builds; seems he specializes in 45 and 2a3 amps; they look extremely high quality; with great quality parts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184366639061

and check out the seller's "completed items" - really nice stereo and monoblock amps, among other things:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/eclectic_electrics/m.html?item=184366639061&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

doug s.

Offline doug s.

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 01:39:44 PM »

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 07:27:29 PM »
this looks like it might be another contender:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649638432-yamamoto-soundcraft-a-010-western-electric-vt-52/

review:
https://6moons.com/audioreviews/yamamoto11/1.html

eye candy:

doug s.

Iíve always wanted to listen to one of these in my system. But sadly, I canít ever recall having had a speaker efficient enough to be driven by something like a Yamamoto.
ICEpower 1200as2 amp
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 12:09:04 PM »
  Thanks Guys. Lots to choose from. Leaning towards a 300B or 45. Tektron has cauht my attention. Roger and Doug really appreciate your suggestions.

charles

Offline doug s.

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 12:28:41 PM »
Iíve always wanted to listen to one of these in my system. But sadly, I canít ever recall having had a speaker efficient enough to be driven by something like a Yamamoto.
the coincident victory's i had, at 97db efficient, really *were* (and still are, imo) excellent speakers.  then, there's my oris horn set-up, that i really should drag out of storage and put in the main system, now that i have a 26x38 room...  but my piega p5 mkii ltd's, driven by the mesa baron, sound great, and i'm lazy these daze...

i have quite a few amps that will drive the horns exceptionally well, including separate amps for the custom lascala bass bins that have 15" pro-audio fostex woofers in 'em.  amps range from 3 to 10 wpc...  never tried my 45wpc audio mirror set's w/them...

doug s.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
    • Reference components
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 03:15:59 PM »
  Other than Border Patrol and Audio Note any suggestions for Rethm Saadhana speakers at 100db ?

charles

Charles, have you considered Pro Musica's 3rd generation upgrade to the Stereo ST-70? After you audition
one of those amps, you won't want a dht amplifier, and I have audition both 2nd, 3rd generation
and dht amps for some 20 years. Pro Musica blows them away in every catagory including "in touch with the music". Dan has both 2nd and 3rd generation amplifier with his LS3/5As, Harbeths etc and virtually nothing touches them.

Just something to check out, if you can find one, if you get a chance.

steve
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 03:24:14 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (retired, owner, SAS Audio Labs)
"V" Very Low Capacitance ICs, 40pf 1 meter
SAS Audio Labs Test Phono Stage
SAS Audio 11A Tube Reference Preamplifier
SAS Audio Labs 25 W Triode Reference Monoblocks
2 way test Spkrs, 28 - 20khz  -3db (28hz)

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 08:52:00 PM »
  Other than Border Patrol and Audio Note any suggestions for Rethm Saadhana speakers at 100db ?

charles

Charles, have you considered Pro Musica's 3rd generation upgrade to the Stereo ST-70? After you audition
one of those amps, you won't want a dht amplifier, and I have audition both 2nd, 3rd generation
and dht amps for some 20 years. Pro Musica blows them away in every catagory including "in touch with the music". Dan has both 2nd and 3rd generation amplifier with his LS3/5As, Harbeths etc and virtually nothing touches them.

steve

Steve,
Did a search and couldnít find anything on a Pro Musica ST 70 mod. Can you provide a link?
Nick
ICEpower 1200as2 amp
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
    • Reference components
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 10:06:18 PM »

charles

steve

Steve,
Did a search and couldnít find anything on a Pro Musica ST 70 mod. Can you provide a link?
Nick

Pro Musica retired, or the guys at least separated some years ago. Difficult to find an amp, Dan found one just a few months ago and immediately snapped it up. So it may be very difficult to find one since few sell theirs.

Don't mean to be a jerkish, just that if you find one, and it works, buy it. Even if a transformer is bad, you may be able to find a used tranny to repair it.

My amps were more accurate, but I never had a descent chassis that looked good and could reliably ship, nor nice looking trannies. That is why I mainly stuck to pre-amplifiers. UPS is nortorious for damaging products, FedEx seems a little better.
DHL was by far the best when they were around.

cheers

steve

Steve Sammet (retired, owner, SAS Audio Labs)
"V" Very Low Capacitance ICs, 40pf 1 meter
SAS Audio Labs Test Phono Stage
SAS Audio 11A Tube Reference Preamplifier
SAS Audio Labs 25 W Triode Reference Monoblocks
2 way test Spkrs, 28 - 20khz  -3db (28hz)

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 11:39:59 PM »
Steve,
Did another search and found this. Canít say Iíve ever seen an ST 70 look this good. The only time Iíve really suffered severe damage from shipping was with Fed Ex. Beautiful speakers I returned to manufacturer were pretty trashed. Had them insured and Fed Ex paid claim promptly.
Nick

https://audioxpress.com/news/the-dynaco-st-70-series-3-tube-amplifier-is-now-finally-shipping
ICEpower 1200as2 amp
Border Patrol SEi dac
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS