Author Topic: my very first piece of audio equipment  (Read 314 times)

Offline doug s.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: my very first piece of audio equipment
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 07:03:20 AM »
I was curious how good that Adcom pre was. Never had heard much about them. As to them tunas...I had a Revox back in the day. Pretty good as I recall, but the display developed a slight problem early on. Nonetheless, it was an easy sale. That also reminded me of the Tandberg gear that I was so interested in. Had their cassette machine for a while, which also reminded me of my B & O linear tracker, but now Iím drifting even more off topic...
tuna diversion.  ;)

i had two tandberg 3001a's.  good sonics and reception, but over-rated, imo.  some think they're "the best"; i have heard a lot that were better.  and few are as unreliable; and refurb is expensive.

re: revoxes, i presently have these:

all industrial strength, all w/great sonics and reception.  the a76 just a bit off the pace reception-wise.  i did rebuild the power supply on the b261 a little over a year ago, as it started to hum, but the parts cost me ~$60 shipped, and w/the detailed instructions, it took me about an hour to do.  not bad, considering it's almost 40 years old...

doug s.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 07:31:43 AM »
  Cool stuff Doug. I started with a Sony STR 222 ?? receiver and Fisher speakers. Then graduated to Sansui AU and TU tuner with Dalquist DQ 12 I believe.
   Then one day while doing a construction project across the street from Stereo Exchange walked in and wound up buying an AR SP3 preamp, and Byston 4B amp. The AR 3B blew up two days later. Returned it and bought a Klyne SK5A [ Never should have sold that]. One of the best SS phono stages to this day IMHO. The Mirage M3si and Maggie IIIAs Bryston gave way to a Classe DR25, then the KILLER amp. An AR DR250mk2 servo. 240W/ch with 32 tubes. 20 6550's, oye ! One of the best sounds I ever had driving the Maggies. Added a Ken Stevens CAT preamp and there was bliss for many years. Then the Pipedreams came along and took me to another place. That good.
  Today after numerous systems back to tubes and SET with 102 db single driver speakers. Looking maybe to get back to panels. Maybe Maggies again or Analysis Omega. Like those Botticelli panels but 89K, really. The smaller ones 56K.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt-Arion-Vinnie Rossi

Offline doug s.

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 07:55:48 AM »
hi charles!

and i think my mesa baron w/its 12 power tubes and 4 input tubes is excessive! 

i've never really cared much for the big panels - too diffuse and over-blown soundstage for my tastes.  the only panel i've heard that i liked was the original m/l cls - perhaps because it's curved, it doesn't sound so diffuse?  only problem is it won't really go over 85db.  even the mfr told me it wouldn't, even if i crossed 'em over to subs at 100hz.  otherwise i would have gotten a pair.

so, are the rethm's the "single driver" speakers you're listening to?  i also like single driver speakers, if they have support down low.  i need to get my oris 150 horns back in my system....

mark porzilli, the melos designer, also designed the pipedreams.  you should check out his latest - "the note" - got good reviews from show attendees this past year...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/laufer-teknik-note-loudspeakers-and-memory-player-transportdac

ya, mark is also responsible for the memory player...

doug s.
  Cool stuff Doug. I started with a Sony STR 222 ?? receiver and Fisher speakers. Then graduated to Sansui AU and TU tuner with Dalquist DQ 12 I believe.
   Then one day while doing a construction project across the street from Stereo Exchange walked in and wound up buying an AR SP3 preamp, and Byston 4B amp. The AR 3B blew up two days later. Returned it and bought a Klyne SK5A [ Never should have sold that]. One of the best SS phono stages to this day IMHO. The Mirage M3si and Maggie IIIAs Bryston gave way to a Classe DR25, then the KILLER amp. An AR DR250mk2 servo. 240W/ch with 32 tubes. 20 6550's, oye ! One of the best sounds I ever had driving the Maggies. Added a Ken Stevens CAT preamp and there was bliss for many years. Then the Pipedreams came along and took me to another place. That good.
  Today after numerous systems back to tubes and SET with 102 db single driver speakers. Looking maybe to get back to panels. Maybe Maggies again or Analysis Omega. Like those Botticelli panels but 89K, really. The smaller ones 56K.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »
  Yes the Rethm Saahana. They have a built in powered sub. -3db point is 20db. They LOVE 300Bs.  I agree about some panels but that combo of AR and Maggie was something to behold. Maggie voiced the IIIA with that AR amp.
Did not George Bischoff design the Memory player or was it a joint design ?
I'll check out the speakers.

charles
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt-Arion-Vinnie Rossi

Offline doug s.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 08:41:59 AM »
bischoff was the marketing guy.  porzilli is the brain.  same w/the pipedream (and scaena) speakers and the melos electronics
https://www.thememoryplayer.net/about-us

yes, i bet the saadhana's are something special.  the $4k entry-level bhaava's i heard in your room at the caf a coupla years back sounded better in the little hotel room than did the >$1m von schweikert/vac system in its huge room, imo.  talk about overkill!?!

doug
ps - i just now read that bischoff passed away in may of 2016   i spoke w/him on the fone years back, before i bought my ma333r preamp. rip george.

Yes the Rethm Saahana. They have a built in powered sub. -3db point is 20db. They LOVE 300Bs.  I agree about some panels but that combo of AR and Maggie was something to behold. Maggie voiced the IIIA with that AR amp.
Did not George Bischoff design the Memory player or was it a joint design ?
I'll check out the speakers.

charles
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:43:54 AM by doug s. »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »
  Going to take a trip up to Conn and hear them. There is a model for rooms with 7' Clg. hght. When I go will report back. Lee is a Genius. Still own his pair of 924 Pipedreams. Was thinking of firing them up again then I sat down to the Rethms and said Nah !

charles

Offline doug s.

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 11:01:48 AM »
we had this discussion before, charlie - i think you mean "mark".  who's lee, anyway? 

doug s.
  Going to take a trip up to Conn and hear them. There is a model for rooms with 7' Clg. hght. When I go will report back. Lee is a Genius. Still own his pair of 924 Pipedreams. Was thinking of firing them up again then I sat down to the Rethms and said Nah !

charles