Author Topic: WHY and What are you Listening to?  (Read 8098 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: WHY and What are you Listening to?
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2020, 07:44:29 PM »
Jackson Berkey did another classical album for American Gramaphone called Sunken Cathedral. If you like Ballade, you should check that one out as well.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Benz Micro Glider
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint/Denon 2910
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cable

Offline S Clark

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2020, 07:51:49 PM »
Yep, I've got it.  You're right, it's another good one. 
“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends.” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2020, 06:19:58 AM »
This joyous cover of Yes' Close to The Edge, done by Richie Castellano and friends.  They are not pros, just interested fans and pretty talented musicians.  Yes themselves, in all of the various incarnations of the band, have not sounded this good in many, many years.  Love this.

https://youtu.be/aG-x1VbHRFg

Offline S Clark

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2020, 08:22:57 PM »
Junior Mance Trio at the Village Vanguard on Jazzland Records.  Jazzland was a side label for Riverside. 
This is a 1985 Original Jazz Classics (OJC) pressing.  One of the nice attributes of the OJC pressings is that they had access to all the mastertapes of Riverside, Prestige, and Contemporary... so their reissues are close to the source and not some BS cd knockoff. 

Junior Mance is one of the pianist that played with everyone in the '50s, and developed a busy, bluesy style... a love child of Fats Waller and Oscar Peterson.  Just got my copy in the mail.  This a big sounding trio of high quality jazz. 

“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends.” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline S Clark

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »
Here's another guy who played with everyone... Rocky Boyd, saxophonist.  He logged time with Johnny Griffin, Philly Jo Jones, Pete la Roca, Max Roach... even toured with Miles for part of a year. 
Here he is with Kenny Dorham, Ron Carter, Pete la Roca, and Walter Bishop in his only album as leader.  On Jazz Time JT0001- yep Jazz Times' first lp. 
Found a 1961 pressing at the local record store for $15.  My buddy that runs the store has finally started looking up values of unknown jazz on discogs, whereas for the last decade he simply put $2 on everything other than Miles, Getz, Coltrane, or Bird.  Fortunately, he just looks at average price and doesn't check by record #, so first pressings go for the same price as repressings. 
This is worth looking up if you are a fan of K. Dorham.

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2021, 11:42:48 PM »
"Una Furtiva Lagrima" (A Furtive Tear), an aria from Donizetti's opera, 'The Elixir of Love'. Explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Una_furtiva_lagrima

I am comparing the Italian tenors Caruso, Bergonzi, and Pavarotti's renditions on Spotify. While some argue that Caruso's or Bergonzi's are some of the best versions due to depth of interpretation, there is really nothing like the effortless delivery (IMO) that Pavarotti brings to it. His runs at the end showcase his technical prowess by singing the last notes pianissimo to fortissimo seemingly in one breathe!

There are so many more versions mentioned here: https://medicine-opera.com/2010/12/una-furtiva-lagrima-a-bakers-dozen/ for opera fanatics.

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2021, 09:04:46 PM »
The Sisters of Mercy Floodland album.

I've been a Sisters fan since I heard 'Walk Away', but this second album is the one that got me, hook, line and sinker.

With dark, deep symbolism, esoteric lyrics, a pounding guitar and drum machine-based sound, and of course, Eldritch's deep-baritone voice that sounded like nothing I've heard before or since. This is the album that made me a fan of gothic-rock music.

I have this on original LP and reissued CD.

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2021, 09:32:52 PM »
"Una Furtiva Lagrima" (A Furtive Tear), an aria from Donizetti's opera, 'The Elixir of Love'. Explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Una_furtiva_lagrima

I am comparing the Italian tenors Caruso, Bergonzi, and Pavarotti's renditions on Spotify. While some argue that Caruso's or Bergonzi's are some of the best versions due to depth of interpretation, there is really nothing like the effortless delivery (IMO) that Pavarotti brings to it. His runs at the end showcase his technical prowess by singing the last notes pianissimo to fortissimo seemingly in one breathe!

There are so many more versions mentioned here: https://medicine-opera.com/2010/12/una-furtiva-lagrima-a-bakers-dozen/ for opera fanatics.

I’m quite inexperienced in this area, but Pavarotti is, by far, my favorite. My mother spoke of Caruso and I’ve listened to him. But I had not heard of Bergonzi. Might be time to search Tidal and Qobuz :thumb:
ICEpower 1200as2 amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Auralic Aries Mini & Mojo Audio lps
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS