Author Topic: WHY and What are you Listening to?  (Read 43035 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: WHY and What are you Listening to?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2020, 10:05:14 AM »
That's good stuff, Dave!

Nick, Erica Morini does a version of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto on the Westminster label that is top notch, and it's on you tube.  I don't think there is a stereo version, but it will give you an idea of what she can do (and give you a reason to put together a mono vinyl rig!)

I did find it. Beautifully played and I looked up the word “trill”. It appears that the trill is a bit of artistic license by the performer and the music is not written that way. Is that correct?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »
A trill is often written into the score.  I remember my Bach preludes had lots of trills written in... it's a zig zag line, much like a resistor symbol.

The trill is the first zig zag, the mordent is the one with the line through it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:46:08 AM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2020, 05:09:41 PM »
A trill is often written into the score.  I remember my Bach preludes had lots of trills written in... it's a zig zag line, much like a resistor symbol.

The trill is the first zig zag, the mordent is the one with the line through it.

Thanks, Scott. I’m getting quite an education on this site. I also just looked up the term mordent. It seems you may be a musician. If so, can you advise what instrument(s)? Also, if others are musicians, it would be fun to know that as well.
As to Morini’s trill technique, are you able to explain this or does one need to hear it to fully appreciate it? If true, it’s fascinating that Heifetz couldn’t reproduce her technique.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2020, 05:37:38 PM »
Great thread Scott, thank you. Just ran across this.
I've been scarce with audio forums recently, but look forward to pursuing this thread.
No doubt I've got something to offer, based on the requirements on post #1, but let me catch up first.....
Love threads like these!

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2020, 05:39:12 PM »

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2020, 08:15:19 PM »

Thanks, Scott. I’m getting quite an education on this site. I also just looked up the term mordent. It seems you may be a musician. If so, can you advise what instrument(s)? Also, if others are musicians, it would be fun to know that as well.
As to Morini’s trill technique, are you able to explain this or does one need to hear it to fully appreciate it? If true, it’s fascinating that Heifetz couldn’t reproduce her technique.
Nick
If you look at the music, the note on the top line with the trill and mordent notation is what's on the sheet, but the notes in the bottom line is how it's played.  A trill plays the main note, the note above, and the main note again in the time allowed for the single note.  The mordent plays the main note, the note below, and the main note again in the time allowed for the single note.  If that doesn't make sense, see the video.
Yep, I played piano for several years before girls and football distracted me to other endeavors.   Here's a slightly verbose explanation of a mordent and a trill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1Kzb1tmHQ

Dave, that's a great video... but anything with Keb Mo gets my approval.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:02:04 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »

Nick
Yep, I played piano for several years before girls and football distracted me to other endeavors.   Here's a slightly verbose explanation of a mordent and a trill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1Kzb1tmHQ

Dave, that's a great video... but anything with Keb Mo gets my approval.

Very helpful to actually hear demonstrated. Interesting also to learn about ornaments, upper and lower mordants, diatronic trills, etc. Thx
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2020, 02:59:39 PM »
"The Jazz Messengers"   Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Donald Byrd, Hank Mobley, and Doug Watkins
This 1956 recording was usually named the second of the dozens of "Jazz Messenger" records.  The early groups were co led by Blakey and Silver and were active in searching out young talent on the way up.  On this lp, Hank Mobley and Don Byrd were the new guys just getting known. 
Byrd's trumpet and Blakey's drums are always upstage, but Mobley's mellow, smooth sax is what draws me in.  Silver shows he can be subdued and still be creative.  This is just great jazz.  Only recorded in mono for the purist, but available in fake stereo. 
When looking, I found I had two early copies of this.  I know I picked these up for about $5 or less... and it bizarre what this stuff goes for now.
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2020, 05:46:00 PM »
"Money Jungle"  Blue Note  85129  French pressing from the 80's
Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach
So much of the perception of Duke is his work as a big band leader, but this is a more intimate and modern sound.  Most are newly written by the Duke, and are just more modern than his swing work.  In a trio, no one gets to hide, no one gets to slack off... everyone gets heard.  But when your trio includes Mingus and Roach, that's just not a problem. 
If you think the Duke is just old school, listen to Fleurette Africaine.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vUHaSB1adI
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2020, 05:47:33 PM »
"Money Jungle"  Blue Note  85129  French pressing from the 80's
Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach
So much of the perception of Duke is his work as a big band leader, but this is a more intimate and modern sound.  Most are newly written by the Duke, and are just more modern than his swing work.  In a trio, no one gets to hide, no one gets to slack off... everyone gets heard.  But when your trio includes Mingus and Roach, that's just not a problem. 
If you think the Duke is just old school, listen to Fleurette Africaine.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vUHaSB1adI

Oh, and I like the French DMM pressings.  Collectors turn up their noses, and I think the sonics are great.  Not going to shell out $300 for a first pressing. 

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:49:25 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2020, 07:18:43 PM »
Sting "A Touch of Jazz" 
I love Sting; I love jazz. 
I don't own this ...   yet.  But having just found it on youtube, I'll find a copy soon. 
Ok, he doesn't hit every song out of the park, but he bats at least as well as Ted Williams. 

Take a listen to Elton John's Come Down in Time at 36:43.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCFO8wLgZPo&t=56s
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2020, 07:36:28 PM »
MORE STING! 
If you haven't heard or seen the musical "The Last Ship", it's Stings autobiographical tribute to growing up in the shipyards of England.  Some of it is good, some mediocre, some absolutely sublime. 
This has been taken off youtube for a good while, so take a listen while it's up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbMY9lf58FA&t=2041s 
If your attention span begins to waver go to 28:10 for "Technical Arrangement" , a duet that can move me to tears when the mood is right.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:46:18 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2020, 10:36:58 PM »
MORE STING! 
If you haven't heard or seen the musical "The Last Ship", it's Stings autobiographical tribute to growing up in the shipyards of England.  Some of it is good, some mediocre, some absolutely sublime. 
This has been taken off youtube for a good while, so take a listen while it's up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbMY9lf58FA&t=2041s 
If your attention span begins to waver go to 28:10 for "Technical Arrangement" , a duet that can move me to tears when the mood is right.

No, I wasn’t aware and I did jump to 28:10. Some beautiful and meaningful tunes thereafter. Thanks for posting.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2020, 05:56:31 AM »
I'm sure many of you know we lost one of the greats yesterday, the jazz pianist McCoy Tyner.
He created so much beautiful music, both on his own, and with Coltrane.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:53:56 AM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »
Jackson Berkey "Ballade" on the American Grammaphone label.  Most know the label from the Mannheim Steamroller recordings (of which I'm not a fan), but they take the productions seriously and produce high quality recordings and pressings. 
This is a compilation of Debussey, Rachmaninoff, and Satie short pieces that very well recorded.  If you've got the speakers, you can put the concert grand convincingly in your living room.  It's hard to get the lower octaves and the reverb of a big grand right, the this recording does.
And on top of that, the performance is romantic and personal... enough to make you listen to music you may be very familiar with. 
AND..... vinyl copies are cheap.  Not often can you find quality for the price of a hamburger and fries. 

Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub