Author Topic: Gary’s DIY and Tweaks  (Read 28013 times)

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
  • Insanity is doing the same Audio thing over & over
Re: Gary’s DIY and Tweaks
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2019, 10:16:59 PM »
It's been a long time commin (CSNY).
Remembered to get dowels at a hardware store a while back for my speakers.
My speakers have a 10" firing forward and a 10" firing rear, both active. so I wasn't sure
if the dowel tweek was going to work.
Got 1 1/4" so I could use the spikes as stops. Spikes don't touch the floor with about 1/4" play from the dowel.
Haven't been able to listen to music yet but gotta tell you what's goin on.
My wife has the multi disc cd player full of an audio book and has listened to the book for
a while now (28 discs) and I put the dowels in between her listening session. The narrators voice
became way more clear and pronounced. I've got the telly hooked up through the stereo and it has
made a distinguishable difference. Cleaner and more clear. Can't wait to put some music on.
Dowels are probably poplar wood (store didn't know) and cost me six bucks for four foot. Now I'm
wondering what other woods would do.
Thanks Gary.

Don

You’re very welcome. Let me know how music works for you.

Gary
Oppo 103, SSD drive
DIY ultra low capacitance power cords, ICs and speaker cables
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre
Primaluna Dialogue4 tube, Hegel H90 int amp
DIY speakers w/8” Rullit field coil FR drivers

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
  • Insanity is doing the same Audio thing over & over
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:43 PM »
 I thought I would throw this out there. I am the head of the Las Vegas Audiophile Society and we just had a meeting at my house this past Saturday. It was great, a great group of guys and it surprised the hell out of me what the star of the show was.

I had been using a small, cheap Schumann resonator powered by my BatCap batteries.  The  resonator made a difference but not a huge difference. I also use iFi Audio DC iPurifiers to clean up power from the batteries (Yes, batteries can make noise, from chemical reaction, etc.) on my LDR passive preamp and my Temple Audio Bantam Gold 12V Tripath amp.  For the meeting I used my tube amplifier so I wasn’t using my 12 V tripath amplifier, and so the DC purifier for that wasn’t being used.

I decided what the heck, and I put the DC purifier on the Schumann resonator. Wow! What a difference! Definitely noticeable when I turn it on and turn it off. Bass is fuller and more easy, a more “holographic” image, a better feel overall, all the good stuff.

At the meeting I talked about the resonator and I switched it on and off, and every person heard a definite improvement with it on. Amazing since a super good iFi purifier wall wart power supply and the resonator itself is less than $100. I ordered a pair and that made it even better.

Gary
Oppo 103, SSD drive
DIY ultra low capacitance power cords, ICs and speaker cables
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre
Primaluna Dialogue4 tube, Hegel H90 int amp
DIY speakers w/8” Rullit field coil FR drivers

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2019, 05:42:43 PM »
Oh crap... something else that I have to try.

Just when I think I am settled in and happy with my system......   :roll:   :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables