Author Topic: CAF2017 Head count  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: CAF2017 Head count
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 07:55:21 AM »
Well I'll be.......

Two guys who have written off audio make the trip to CAF :thumb:

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »
Nice to get some pics and updates on the show. Thanks guys
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »
Hey @Nick, I only took a few with my iPhone the rest were mental pictures.

Hello @Emil, life may get in the way, but music will always be my passion. I leave this iPod running all day for my cat and for background music.  ;-)

You never know, Phil Lam may invite everyone for a revival. 

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:22:19 PM by Levi »

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
Finally, the winner of the best of show.  Subjective and personal.  😜👍

Ahhh, the jbtrio room... Quite nice, I must say... & the best hospitality around!!!

Thanks to all for visiting my two rooms (Room 316 with BorderPatrol & Volti) and in the large Frederick Room (with GT Audio Works, Pass Labs, Acoustic Signature TT (Fidelis AV) & Sound Insights).

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/CA Maestro II
Vinnie Rossi Signature L2 Preamp, w/ DAC & phono stage
Innuos ZENith Mk. 3 Server
BorderPatrol P20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
PI UberBUSS
TWL Loom

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
I'll second that. A bit better with the AQUA DAC, :-P oh Joey where art thou ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt-Arion-Vinnie Rossi

Offline doug s.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
Finally, the winner of the best of show.  Subjective and personal.  😜👍

are those the new horning euphrodite pm65 nwb's?  damn; i missed them.  if they were anything like the euphrodite's i heard in a big room  at caf in silver spring a couple years ago, i understand your feelings.  i wish the vendors/distributors would list all the stuff they're displaying...

other speakers i heard and liked, and would consider owning, (i really have a somewhat difficult time at shows listening to components other than speakers), were the german physiks borderland iv's (the only really expensive speakers that i'd like to try in my own rig), the volti rivals (i'd actually like to try their up-model vittora's, also expensive, which i have heard previously), the tekton double-impacts, the pure audio project's, the rethm bhaava's.  i was exceptionally impressed with the tektons and the pure audio projects, considering the prices.  and also the rethm's, if a bit more expensive, tho not outrageous.

speakers i liked but wouldn't consider owning include the tad evolution ones, marco serri arena's (both too expensive for what they are, imo, at ~$30k & ~$40k), and the quad s2's - really nice, but i don't have a use for any more nice & reasonably priced monitors - i am flush; w/a pair of kef ls50's, proac tablette 8 ref sigs and custom kit made & upgraded dillon acoustics ego's.  i wanted to hear the ~$70k marco serri venezia's, but they weren't playing when i was in the room.  (and the room was too small for both the serri speakers, imo.); the daedalus apollo 11's - really nice, but too expensive for me; if i were to spend that much, i'd want something that strikes me as spectacular - like the german physiks, or the volti vittora's or the horning euphrodite's, for example.

from what i heard of the voxativ ampeggio, i would like to hear it in a more appropriate room; it sounded tolerable in the room it was in; which i found amazing.  i queried the rep why they would show a $30k speaker in such a room, and he said it was simply too expensive to get a better room.  imo, just stay home, then; if you cannot set up a $30k speaker even half-properly, why bother?  altho i am certain i could have set up both the speakers (the other being an aer-driver dipole) he was demo'ing a lot better than the way they were set up, which may have made the experience a lot more enjoyable.  altho, for the price, what i'd really like to hear is the voxativ 9.87 system, which i have read about; it's my kind of system - full-range driver on top, w/integrated active powered sub for the low end.

things i heard that make me think "meh": the emia electrostats - no dynamics, meh soundstage, meh low end; the von schweikert ul11's - meh soundstage, so-so resolution, ok dynamics: $1M system - seriously, and this is all you could do?;  the charney audio companion mkii's - congested sound, so-so soundstage, hard midrange & treble, muddy low end; the gt audio works gta3r planar/ribbons w/the sound insight si 600 open baffle servo sub woofers - meh soundstage & dynamics, thick bass (which surprised me, considering the six 12" servo dipole subs per side); the tad micro evolution ones - complete room overload/mismatch - i suspect this was about the worst case of making a decent speaker sound like total crap.  unless there was a contest to see how shitty you could make a really nice speaker sound!  8)

if i didn't mention something, either good or bad, it means i probably missed it.  i ended up staying significant amounts of time in the rooms i really liked, especially when i was allowed to listen to the albums and cd's i brought.  ;)

doug s.

Offline doug s.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
ah, one last edition; i forgot to mention the carver room.  i think if the ribbon/midrange driver towers were properly crossed over to some decent stereo subs, instead of the single flat-panel carver/sunfire subrosa sub that was being used, it may have actually sounded nice, if you were sitting far enough away.  talk about boomy thick muddy incoherent low end...

doug s.

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
Hey Doug, I am not sure which version of speaker were those.  I will ask Joe.

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
Ahhh, the jbtrio room... Quite nice, I must say... & the best hospitality around!!!

Thanks to all for visiting my two rooms (Room 316 with BorderPatrol & Volti) and in the large Frederick Room (with GT Audio Works, Pass Labs, Acoustic Signature TT (Fidelis AV) & Sound Insights).

Cheers,
Pete

Hey Pete, you were a great host likewise.  Thank you.

Turn back time: 2005 at Richard's Audio Rave.

Offline doug s.

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »
Hey Doug, I am not sure which version of speaker were those.  I will ask Joe.
hi levi,

not sure if you're referring to the carvers, but afaik, they are these:
http://www.bobcarvercorp.com/als

the included sub ($3k additional, for a second) is this:

http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=27

i'd be wanting to get $3k off, and be getting my subs elsewhere - just mty opinion, of course, but i think the sub that comes with - the "subrosa"- truly sucks.  and, for speakers like that, a pair of subs is mandatory.  strangely enough the guy demo'ing them made a point to say how you only needed one.  weird.  for subs for this (or any) speaker, i'd be seriously looking at something like a pair of the new rythmik fv18's or fv25hp's - truly outstanding servo-controlled hi-output low distortion performance.  (retail $1700 and $2500 shipped.) expensive, yes, but not absurdly priced like many "audiophile" subs.  and considerably less expensive than the $3k subrosa's  in smaller rooms, their other offerings also seem quite capable.  or, for $200 more than the subrosa's, go completely nuts and check out the jtr captivator 4000ulf's.  check out the data bass list for nice reviews, w/extensive measurements of many subs:

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems&type=0

doug s.

ps - i also forgot to mention the $62k speakers i heard in the laufer teknic room - another room way too small for the speakers.  but at least they were set up in a somewhat acceptable manner.  i think they're some new sunny cable model.  nice sound; possibly fantastic, in the right room.  but $62k?  not for me, not on my budget...

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
Thank you for the link.   :thumb:

How about $1,000,000.00 for the VAC setup ?   That's right, I would be expecting "golden" sound.   :rofl:

Offline doug s.

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 08:43:52 PM »
levi, as you may have noticed, i was suitably underwhelmed by what i heard in the vac/von schweikert room.  from your comment, it seems i'm not the only one who didn't "get it".

and, now i realize you must have been referring to the horning's, re: "which model".  i know the euphrodite's i heard a few years back were older models, and they were one of the best speakers i've ever heard anywhere, anytime, any place, any price...  i am on the lookout for a bargain on a used pair of horning agalme's.  ha!

doug s.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 03:42:52 AM »

Awwww. Look how young Bob and Pete look.

Time waits for no one.......
    --Ice Cube

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 03:45:00 AM »
Thank you for the link.   :thumb:

How about $1,000,000.00 for the VAC setup ?   That's right, I would be expecting "golden" sound.   :rofl:

I see the problem already. They didnt use cable elevators. They're just laying on the carpet for Christ's sake
    --Ice Cube

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 06:15:42 AM »

Well said Emil.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They have some headphone rooms at the show but those in-ear monitor were hard to audition.  The best and most expensive once had to be molded to your ears.  However, I really liked my Westone W60 in-ear monitor, a 6-balanced armature drivers with 3-way crossover.  It retails for approximately $1,000 +/-. 

Loved the dynamic full-range sound connected to an iPhone 6 plus.  They are Perfect for the subway commute and not so great for cycling or driving.  Once installed deep in my ear canal, the whole world just gotten much better in my opinion.  Instantly!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:30:49 AM by Levi »