Author Topic: Don Sachs Tube Preamp and Amplifier  (Read 11656 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Don Sachs Tube Preamp and Amplifier
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2019, 07:47:09 AM »
Hello, Don.

Thanks for posting the pic! That's sweet looking. Is the preamp in Jim's (Blueone's) system?

Does this newest version not have gain controls, or are they still an option? I really like my ability to dial down the gain.

I won't have an opportunity to do it this year, but I think I'm going to ship my Model 2 back to you for an upgrade next year - perhaps in April. Let's see....Polish caps, rectifier tube change, etc. to bring it up to 'top of the line' status.

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X DAC III STD
dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE DAC w/Jupiter Caps
Don Sachs Model 2
Don Sachs Kootenay 120 KT88; Nuprime ST-10
TWL loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUSS
PI Audio USB cable
Mac Mini

Offline dls123

Re: Don Sachs Tube Preamp and Amplifier
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »
HI
Sure, send it whenever and I can improve it.  I have dropped the channel attenuators and gone to relay input switching because I can shorten the signal path by at least a foot.   Inputs go about 3-4 inches to the relay/attenuator and then only about 5 inches down to the preamp section.  The attenuators are not needed unless you need a balance control.  I worked with Arek to dial this khozmo version in such that the taper is perfect for this preamp, pretty much for any amp and speaker combo.   THere is only one resistor in the signal path for any volume setting on each channel.  Essentially like no volume control at all, except that you have one:)

cheers,
Don