Author Topic: Sharing top notch recorded videos and music.....  (Read 26598 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
    • Reference components
Re: Sharing top notch recorded videos and music.....
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2019, 10:35:49 AM »
Here is a link to an excellent percussion recording, with discussions, using various techniques and from 1 mic to 5 mics.

This is a pretty good test for stereo image, dynamics, ambience, sound stage etc. It will also help those who wish to make their own recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPPhmyBIi6k

I thought I would add one more, a comparison of three saxophones. I find the sax is close to, if not the most difficult instrument to reproduce. Interested in your opinion of this short recording.

Thanks Steve for the link on drums.
With my modest ambiant music set-up
it sounds fantastic, especially with two or more microphones.
For the saxophone, on my system, it sounds terrible...
Thanks anyway.

Guy 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6piLLc8ivqE

cheers

steve

Thanks for your input Guy. That is a pretty neat video pertaining to drum miking.

I have always heard the piano is the most difficult instrument to reproduce, and it might be true overall due to its wide frequency range. But I have found it extremely rare to find an accurate, natural recording of a sax.
Unfortunately, ~50% of the music trek is the recording portion, which we cannot control.

cheers
steve
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:38:15 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (retired, owner, EE, SAS Audio Labs)
"V" Very Low Capacitance ICs
SAS Audio Labs Test Phono Stage
SAS Audio 11A Tube Reference Preamplifier
SAS Audio Labs 25 W Triode Reference Monoblocks
2 way test Spkrs, 28 - 20khz  -3db (28hz)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »

I have always heard the piano is the most difficult instrument to reproduce, and it might be true overall due to its wide frequency range.

It is not only the wide frequency range but also because the piano is actually a percussive instrument and as such it also has very sharp attack speeds and fast rise times are always difficult to record and reproduce.
Remember, it's all about the music........

Nola Boxers
Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
McIntosh MC 275
ARC SP-9
VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Sumiko Blue Pt. Special
Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Bluesound Node/Pioneer DV 563A
DigiBuss/TWL PC/MIT Cable

Offline steve

• Audiologist
    • Reference components
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2019, 06:14:26 AM »

I have always heard the piano is the most difficult instrument to reproduce, and it might be true overall due to its wide frequency range.

It is not only the wide frequency range but also because the piano is actually a percussive instrument and as such it also has very sharp attack speeds and fast rise times are always difficult to record and reproduce.

Excellent point Tmazz, and thanks for bringing that that to our attention. Your informative comment brought to remembrance an article years ago, I think from an audio magazine, that attack time (rise time) is very important to believing that one is listening to a live instrument. Of course transparency and other aspects come into play, but rise time is crucial. 

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:17:21 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (retired, owner, EE, SAS Audio Labs)
"V" Very Low Capacitance ICs
SAS Audio Labs Test Phono Stage
SAS Audio 11A Tube Reference Preamplifier
SAS Audio Labs 25 W Triode Reference Monoblocks
2 way test Spkrs, 28 - 20khz  -3db (28hz)