Author Topic: Get Together / Headphone Listening Party - Sunday, December 14th, 2015 1PM-9PM  (Read 26641 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Everyone,

I had such a good time hosting the get together this past Saturday, I'm already planning the next one.

This next get together, I'd like to primarily focus on headphone based listening and all the gear we use to enjoy our head-fi based music systems.

So the official date for the meet is Sunday, December 14th, 2014 from 1PM - 9PM at the latest.  Location will be at my place in South Durham, NC close to The Streets at Southpoint Mall.  

Lots of folks on head-fi.org and a few here and there asked for a Sunday date as having this last meet on Saturday was the main reason conflicting with why they couldn't attend.  So set your calendars for Sunday the 14th and make arrangements to come hang out and socialize.  Significant others and families are welcome.  It doesn't have to be a bunch of dudes salivating over electronic goodies :)  My 2.5 year old son would appreciate a playdate if that is the only stumbling block to keep you from making it.

jtwrace has already committed to coming back for this event and is bringing his stack of Auralic components.  So for those interested in hearing the Auralic Aries streamer, Vega DAC, and Taurus amp, it will be in attendance.  He's also bringing his Mr. Speakers' Alpha Dogs for those that haven't had a chance to hear that model.

Sol is also likely coming if he's not on call.  He's got a couple cool designs he's built up, including a little class A headphone amp that he'd like more opinions on.  So far, everyone that has heard it has raved about it.  His brother liked it so much he did up a couple raw circuit boards for Sol to be able to build a few easily for locals if they liked it.  As we all know, Sol is big on the concept of high end sound on a budget and getting maximum value.  So it's not pricey stuff he's playing with.  His i15 integrated amp that we listened to until nearly 3AM Sunday morning at the recent get together was ridiculously good for what it costs to build it...

As for what I can add to the party, I need to confirm with the distributor, but I should conceivably have a few of the first production run of Unison Research's new SH DAC/tube headphone amp in my hands by then.  So that will be in addition to the gear that folks were listening to yesterday:

Headphones:
Audeze LCD-2 Bamboo and Rosewood, LCD-3, LCD-X, and LCD-XC
Fostex's new TH-500RP, as well as TH-600, TH-900, and T50RP with modifications
Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD700, HD800, IE800, Urbanite XL, and Momentum Over Ear

Headphone specific DACs & Amps:
PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC can feed any of the headphone amps
Abbingdon Music Research (AMR) DP-777 tube output DAC
B.M.C. Audio PureDAC DAC/balanced headphone amp
Bakoon Products HPA-21, HPA-01 battery powered current drive headamps - I might have HPA-01M mobile version as well if they get into production in time.  I pre-paid/pre-ordered some and I think I'm scheduled to be the first in the USA to get some :)
iFi Audio's complete lineup including Nano iDSD & iCAN, as well as the Micro iDSD that everyone is raving about, Micro iUSBPower, Micro iDAC, Micro iCAN, Micro iTube, Micro iPhono, Mercury, Gemini, iPurifier, etc.
Fostex HP-A4, HP-A8C, and HP-V1 battery powered portable amp with tube driver
Red Wine Audio Signature 16 with single ended headphone amp built in
Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC/balanced headphone amp

Cables:
- WyWires RED Series headphone cables and adapters as well as other cabling in their Blue and Silver series
- Tellurium Q interconnect cabling and power cords including their top of the line stuff
- iFi Audio cables mentioned above (Mercury, Gemini) as well as included cables with their gear like those with the iRack w/ cables
- Custom made headphone cables using high end cable manufacturers' wire that is cut and built into custom headphone cables for my own listening pleasure.  Everything from Furutech to some commerical stuff that I cut up and converted...

I can't make any promises, but I could have a few other surprises by then as well if all the paperwork lines up and they ship me stuff to evaluate...........

If anyone is interested in stopping by to socialize and meet the group, please just PM me here or shoot me an email (sales at nightanddayaudio dot com) so I can give you directions and get an accurate headcount to make sure there are enough snacks.  

You're welcome to come listen to anything that is here.  This is *NOT* a sales event at all.  It's a social gathering to listen to gear you otherwise might not get to hear and an opportunity to socialize.  There will be *zero* sales pitches at this event or me initiating anything of the sort.  Come eat my food (or bring your own to share) and listen to my (and others') gear.  If you have something you want to share with the group, by all means bring it along.  We'd all love to listen to it and compare how it sounds with the rest of the stuff here.  That's one of the perks of these listening parties is getting to hear things and then hear things head to head against one another that you often wouldn't even get to do in an audio show environment.  There's no replacement for getting to see, touch, and listen to something and even getting to compare it directly with the competition.

Again, please PM or email me with any questions, as well as to confirm your attendance for the event.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:40:32 PM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline stereofool

I'm in  :drool:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Me too. Thanks!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
I will do my best to drop by again... I'd like to hear if the Urbanites break in more... or maybe just get another pair of Momentum's in the over-the-ear variety...
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
I plan to be there!  Probably on the earlier side since my sweet family has other plans that evening.

Offline hometheaterdoc

Excellent!  I'm trying to work on some additional goodies...  we'll see if I can pull it off in time...

I'm ordering up some extra apple camera connection kits to have here for folks that don't have the right connections with them when they come to demo.... I had everything for android devices since that's what I'm using... but didn't have extra apple stuff... will have that fixed by the time the get together rolls around... sorry about that for last time :(

Shane Sangster

Offline jtwrace

• Seeking Help
Looking forward to it.   :thumb:

Offline hometheaterdoc

T-minus 6 days and counting!

If you're going to be in town, come on by to have a listen to some of the cool headphone stuff currently available... it looks like a few cool things coming along from attendees in addition to what I've got spread out throughout the first floor of the house :)

I'm going to try to have a few laptops setup and ready to go for anyone that forgets their music...  try to remember a flash drive, memory stick, portable hard drive, etc. at least :)

Again, please PM, email or phone me to get the particulars and to RSVP so I know you're coming.  Thanks!

Shane
Shane Sangster

Offline hometheaterdoc

Well I got some cool toys here on time at the last minute and others didn't quite make it because of shipping issues....

I put this post up on head-fi the other day, but worth re-posting.... if you are within driving distance and interested in headphones, come on by and check it out....  there will likely be some stereo stuff as well since a couple folks coming are interested in checking out Devialet and discussing it with attendees that have heard it...

anyways, here are the details:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743538/raleigh-durham-nc-triangle-social-event-listening-party-sunday-december-14th-2014-1pm-9pm/15#post_11120711

{snip}

there's always lots of little things with these kinds of events that you always forget until right before the event...

I did get an extra couple apple camera connection kits (including lightning to USB)  so folks can stream from their phones to these various devices... some folks at the last event wanted to use their device but didn't have the right connections.  I'll be able to handle those oops moments on both android and apple now...  if you haven't already, make sure you grab the Onkyo HF player on apple devices and the USB Audio Player Pro app on adroid devices... my current favorites for outputting high rez files to external USB DACs...

Stations as I see them now (at least to start before folks start swapping stuff around):

Station #1:
- jtwrace's guest of honor table featuring all Auralic stack (Aries, Vega, Taurus)

Station #2:
- PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC
- Oppo 83SE for those needing to spin disks
- Bakoon HPA-21 current headphone amp
- Red Wine Audio Signature 16 integrated amp with headphone amp added
- WyWires Silver Series USB cable
- Tellurium Q Black Diamond ICs
- PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator

Station #3:
- Abbingdon Music Research (AMR) DP-777 DAC
- Oppo 83 for those needing to spin disks
- Bakoon HPA-01 current headphone amp
- (not making it now since it didn't arrive tonight - removing SPL Phonitor Mini from list)
- WyWires Silver Series USB cable
- Tellurium Q Ultra Black or WyWires Blue Series ICs
- PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator

Station #4: "The Existing Desktop Options"
- B.M.C. Audio PureDAC DAC/headphone amp
- Fostex HP-A8C DAC/headphone amp
- Fostex HP-A4 DAC/headphone amp
- Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC/headphone amp
- PS Audio P3 Power Regenerator

Station #5: "The New Desktop Options"
- Unison Research SH DAC/headphone amplifier
- PS Audio Sprout DAC/phono/integrated amp/bluetooth/headphone amp

Station #6: "The iFi Audio World & other portable solutions"
- iFi Audio's "little big rig" consisting of Micro iUSBPower, Micro iDAC, Micro iTube, Micro iCAN
- iFi Audio Micro iDSD (although being portable that might wander around the house)
- iFi Audio Nano iDSD & Nano iCAN
- Fostex HP-V1 tube battery powered headphone amp
- various iFi Audio USB cables and included ICs, stock power supply stuff and some WyWires RED adapter ICs

I figure the headphones can float around to various stations with cables being swapped as necessary where balanced connections versus 1/4" jacks are offered.  I'll put some out at each station to begin, but they will likely shift around.

Anyone who brings stuff along, we'll figure out the best way to integrate it into a specific station to make it all work together...

Let me know if there are any questions about any of this.
Shane Sangster

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Once again, it is just to far away of any of us AudioSyndrome guys to join you.  :(

Hey, when BobM gets a place in the Raleigh area we can all come down and crash and with him whenever there is a NC G2G.  :D
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline hometheaterdoc

You guys are always welcome if you were to make the trek :)

As is typical for me, I'm up late doing things at the last minute... A certain 2 year old wasn't really in favor of Daddy spending time while he was awake today doing stereo stuff (other than to turn on the music so he could listen with me :) hehe)

Just a couple last minute FYI's for those coming over:

- I've had a couple hard drive failures tonight mucking around with trying to have an audio PC setup at each station.... I guess some of my machines were more delicate than I realized....not sure I'm going to have things repaired and drives re-built in time for all stations...  will do my best.  I might be calling in the morning, Carl, to pull some stuff from your house ;)

- parking when you get here.... if everyone shows up that has firm RSVP'ed, it's well over 40 people now and very close to 50.... since there are some that are only coming early and some that are only coming late, it should be well spaced, I think.... I do have tentatives from at least 30 others... soooo, a couple things to keep in mind....  my neighborhood has a lot of "no parking" signs up to discourage residents from leaving cars parked out on the street in front of their homes.  For the purposes of this event, you can ignore those signs.  You won't be towed unless you block things up so bad that cars can't even drive down the street.  If there is no spot open on my main street, keep into the neighborhood and use any of the other streets of my neighborhood.  My apologies on not having a lot more spaces available.  If you are at all unsure of your parking spot, please just ask me when you arrive and I will help you figure it out.

See you all in 13 hours :)
Shane Sangster

Offline stereofool

Once again...thanks to Shane & Melissa...& Ryan for allowing us to hi-jack 'Daddy' for hours  :thumb:!

A lot of the headphones sounded great, but for me I enjoyed catching up with some of the guys, most of all.

Somewhere in the future I may have to investigate some of the possibilities with the iFi micro/nano components. I'm not much of a headphone guy, but if I get stuck without access to a decent system, then  that may be an option that I can live with.

Great to see so many audio buddies, today!

Everyone have a wonderful Holiday Season  :D!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

Thanks Steve, it was great to see you too. Merry Christmas!

Thanks to Shane and Melissa for surrendering the house again to the audiophile horde.

These were headphone audiophiles, a different kind of enthusiast. I really enjoyed meeting some new audio friends and learning a lot about a different technology. There is a lot to learn, and Shane has become a real expert.

I was very impressed by the Audeze LCD-XC and especially Audeze LCD-3. I've never heard a headphone sound like that. The iFi DAC/amp deserves credit for the incredible sound.

I also loved the Woo WA7 tube headphone amp/dac playing into Audeze LCD3.  The Aurelic Gemini was another highlight with gorgeous class A solid state amplifier and DAC built into a sculpted headphone stand.

Am I ready to be a headphone guy? Hmmmm....  

It's almost midnight on a Sunday night. I would like to listen to music right now but I'm the only mouse stirring.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
I had a bit of a time constraint and an agenda.  I wanted to make sure I listened to the HD700's so I could rule them out.  I wanted to like the HD650's because they're in my budget.

I also wanted to listen to more of the ifi stuff.. and see if I could just get away with enjoying a 2nd pair of Momentums for home listening.

Instead I came away loving the HD700's with a Fostex tube amp.  Dang.  That's way more than I wanted to spend.. double in fact. 

The Nano with a Burr-Brown chip and a pair of Audio Illusion? (not right, need correction) giant cans were also among the best I heard.  However, I think part of that is because the isolation was so high... There were a LOT of folks at this meet... and a LOT of gear to talk about, compare, etc.

The open-ear design still requires a quiet space, and a tolerant partner... because they hear your music... or whatever... sounds like you're listening to your iphone speaker to them... which I would find annoying... we will see.

I learned I definitely like the Sennheiser house sound... and I do not care for the ifi for my sound tastes.. but boy is that a tasty package... with the charging option, DAC, volume, etc.. great deal.

This was quite a busy event and I'm glad I got to hear and compare as much as I did.  It was a pleasure meeting some of the new guys.  Too bad we had to disable registration at AN right at this time... would've been nice to have them join.  But the Russian spammers got us.
Hope the new folks have some patience... I think we need to get through a few days before we can open it up again.

I also hope Shane gets his site running soon.  I know that's been a roller coaster ride...  But he's got some great enthusiasm going around this hobby... and there seems to be a good crowd interested in this kind of thing at this time in the market... I wish you a lot of success, Shane.

Thanks as always for the insane amount of work that must've gone into this... days of work pre and post event... I hope you get a chance to relax and get some family time.  I know how tough it is to do something you're passionate about and balance it with family time.

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Damn, I didn't get nearly enough time there yesterday before I had to scoot for family obligations.   There's a whole lot more to headphone listening than I ever considered (or thought I ever wanted to know).  Be that as it may, the iFi Micro DSD DAC/amp I picked up recently from Shane has seen lots of duty in more ways than I can count - and not just with headphones!   But all those sexy headphones, amps & DACs, and that Auralic in particular, sure were interesting.  

But, as always, the best part was great catching up with a few folks I haven't seen in way too long as well as meeting a number of new faces.  A big thanks to Shane for hosting and to Shane's better half, Melissa, for putting up with all of us - particularly this close to the holidays.