Author Topic: Albums/Artists You Would Like to See Reissued on 45RPM 180g vinyl  (Read 14359 times)

lonewolfny42

Re: Albums/Artists You Would Like to See Reissued on 45RPM 180g vinyl
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 08:35:57 PM »
When a tiny shred of respect is too much to ask for...well I think it's time for me to go away for a while.

Later...

That's a bad attitude Jerome...you did this on AC....and now on AN.... [-X

Rich had the right answer...."...it's a discussion forum."

jsaliga

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 03:37:35 AM »
That's a bad attitude Jerome...you did this on AC....and now on AN.... [-X

Get your facts straight.  I left AC over a problem I was having with a moderator who was unfit for the job.  I'm not the only one.  Seems to me there are a lot of AN members who had problems over at AC.  Do you really want to dredge that up over here?  Bringing that up was bad form.

But you are right about one thing.  I have left other forums too.  Some I post to sparingly and others I am no longer active on.  I tend to not take any crap because, quite honestly, I don't have to.

For anyone wondering why I reacted so strongly to Bob's post I will try to explain.  The off topic post in this situation is an effective form of censorship.  Here is how it works.  I already knew when I started this thread that not many people are lining up to spend $50 for a audiophile LP.  But I buy them, and I buy a lot of them (I have about $12,000 invested in them).  So people who might be interested in building a library of 45 RPM LPs on AN might be very small...perhaps I'm the only one who even cares.  On the other hand, there is a majority of people here who think that $50 for a record is a waste of money (funny that these are some of the same people who think that $20K for an amp is a good value).  So I start a thread that will appeal to very few people, and knowing that I try to establish the scope of the discussion in the original post.  Some one who thinks the records are waste money chimes in and now the topic has been surreptitiously changed to overpriced audiophile LPs.  And I have seen this happen countless hundreds of times over the years on various forums.  So the original topic is squelched and those who wanted to discuss it have been effectively silenced.  Way more people have something to say about overpriced audiophile LPs.  The censorship is usually unintentional but the effect is the same as censorship that's deliberate.  Respecting the OP's wishes is important so that the few that might be interested in a topic can have a voice and an outlet to talk about what is important to them.  If not enough people are interested then the topic will die rather than get derailed by people who think that their off-topic post is more interesting than what the thread starter had in mind.

Though it is really no one's business but my own, I was planning on taking a break from posting here and not leaving -- but maybe I should give that more thought.  What I do know is that there are way too many stressful things going on in my life right now to enjoy posting here.  It certainly wasn't fun to have one of the few threads that was of some personal importance to me run off the rails like this.  It seems some of you won't let it go, and I won't let go. The dispute is probably more interesting to you than the actual subject matter the topic was intended to be about.  Everyone likes a good fight, few seem interested in building a library of 45 RPM LPs.

If anyone has something to say to me then be a gentlemen and PM me.  I'll answer you when I have time.  If you want to take cheap shots at me publicly on the forum then I'll defend myself here and it can get as ugly as you want to make it.

This thread is effectively dead, and no good can come from a protracted spat between me and other members.  It should probably be locked.  But that's just my opinion.

Rich had the right answer...."...it's a discussion forum."

No he doesn't...Gene gets it when he said "It's a discussion forum that needs to be respectful of any parameters the OP lays down as applicable to HIS thread."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:08:30 AM by jsaliga »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 05:55:12 AM »
It probably would be best if this thread were closed, or deleted.

This can only end in tears

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

evan1

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
I have to agree with Jerome. I was ready for this to happen when I read his original post . No offense guys.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
 Boys boys c'mon now. I own several 45 reissues. To my ears they are better than the 33 reissues. I will bring some to our Sept. AudioSyndrome meeting.
  I agree that $50 may be steep but think how many times you will listen to it. I'd rather pay $50 for an LP than $150 to see a live performance for 2 hours.
  Now can we be one happy family again  :thumb:

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
No posts are deleted, nobody is asking anyone to modify their comments, so there is NO* censorship here, other than that proposed in the OP.

Nobody owns a thread, and there is only one set of rules that everyone must obey.
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2860.0

*edited to add the word NO
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:58:26 AM by richidoo »

jsaliga

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »
No posts are deleted, nobody is asking anyone to modify their comments, so there is censorship here, other than that proposed in the OP

Correction.  I never said that people could not express opinions that audiophile LPs were a waste of money.  I only asked that they not put them here in this thread.  People were certainly welcome to start a thread about the value of audiophile LPs and there would not have a been a problem.  I might have even enjoyed such a debate.

I never had the impression that I "owned" this or any other thread.  I believe that as a general guideline people should try to keep their posts on topic out courtesy to the person who started the thread and to others who might be interested in the topic.  I thought I was pretty clear about what the topic was.  If you are suggesting that this doesn't matter then I don't know what to say.  I guess anything goes.  Does that mean that just because I think a lot of expensive gear is a waste of money that I should come to the equipment threads and try to run those topics off the tracks?  I don't post there because my comments would not contribute anything meaningful or positive to those topics.

Censorship is not asking people to exercise a little discretion or restraint, or start another topic.  But derailing a thread, one that seems to be important to only a few, is a form of censorship and you can't explain it away or dress it up as something else.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:42:08 PM by jsaliga »

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 10:00:17 AM »
Here's a few more...

Phineas Newborn Jr. - The Great Jazz Piano of Phineas Newborn Jr.

That's funny, I had never heard of him before and just yesterday picked up one of his CDs at the Crack House. It was an album called "Solo Piano" that was originally issued on Atlantic and reissued on CD by 32 Jazz. I have done really well with other 32 Jazz releases on both  a musical and SQ basis, so I figured I would try this one base solely on my prior experience with the label.

I had not had a chance to listen to it before I saw Phineas had made Jerome's wish list, so I quickly threw it on. Can't tell you if it is as good as the particular album Jerome was talking about, but I can say I was not disappointed. It turned out to be a nice CD.  :thumb:

...and now back to the thread (for something completely different)...

Phineas Newborn - Please give me someone to Love! is my recommendation for a 45 release! I have it on 33 1/3 RPM (Japanese Import)

Hey tmazz - I'm almost sure you heard this LP at my house. He was a great jazz pianist with a unique style...

Enjoy the music & don't get caught up in the senseless BS (even though unintended!),
Pete  :thumb:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
 I only asked that they not put them here in this thread.  People were certainly welcome to start a thread about the value of audiophile LPs and there would not have a been a problem.  I might have even enjoyed such a debate.

I just went back and reread your original post and saw your request to not clutter the thread, etc. I guess I didn't read every word you wrote the first time through, since this part was buried in the middle somewhere. I got the gist of what you were saying and jumped immediately to your list to see what you were looking for.

I'm sorry I pulled this off topic for you.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

evan1

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 12:47:06 PM »
Thanks for manning up Bob. Now like Pete says lets get back to the thread. :thumb:

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »
No posts are deleted, nobody is asking anyone to modify their comments, so there is NO* censorship here, other than that proposed in the OP.

Nobody owns a thread, and there is only one set of rules that everyone must obey.
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2860.0

*edited to add the word NO

Richidoo - just re-read the rules! You are da best! I love this place. Thanks to you & others for making AN happen!

Gracias,
Pedro
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

jsaliga

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »
Jerome -

Is there a central listing of what IS on 45rpm/180g today?

None that I am aware of, no.  Classic Records, Analogue Productions, and Music Matters has issued the majority of 45 RPM 180g LPs on the market.  But Mobile Fidelity, Warner, and Rhino have also released a few each.

For Classic Records see...

http://www.classicrecords.com/search.cfm?code=45&order_by=

But this link is not a complete list.  I have several Classic Records titles on 45 RPM that do not appear here, such as Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit, and Johnny Hodges and Duke Ellington - Side by Side.  If there is a complete list of Classic Records 45s I don't know where to find it.

For Analogue Productions reissues on 45 RPM 180g vinyl see the following link.  There you will find the Fantasy 45 series (100 titles, all of them released but many of them already sold out), the Blue Note Series (so far 50 titles either in release or scheduled for release), The Verve Series (25 titles slated for release but none available yet), and the Impulse! Series (25 titles, with about 18 of them in release and the rest scheduled for release).

http://analogueproductions.com/index.cfm?do=search&LabelID=4085

Analogue Productions has also released a couple of 45 RPM boxed sets, such as The Complete Bill Evans Riverside recordings ($599) and The Miles Davis Quintet: The Great Prestige Recordings ($300).  They also offer a boxed set of Kilbreth's Wagner Ring cycle ($750).

For Music Matters see the following link.  This is my favorite 45 reissue series and I have every single title released to date.  A number of them are sold out.

http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/html/archive.html

There is also ORG (Original Recordings Group), which has a small catalog of 45 RPM 180g jazz and classical music titles.  At $59.95 their titles are the most expensive of all of the 45 RPM reissue labels.  I have generally been favorably impressed by their releases but a couple have disappointed me.

http://originalrecordingsgroup.com/htm/index2.htm

--Jerome
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:18:08 PM by jsaliga »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
Well, since my interest is BN, Verve and Impulse I guess I'll start with Analogue Prod.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »
If Blue Note is your thing then be sure to check out Music Matters in addition to Analogue Productions.  Music Matters titles come in heavy laminated gatefold jackets with B&W photos from the sessions on the inner gatefold.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
Just looking through those catalogues makes me crazy..I want them all!

I would love to see some Bach cantatas, maybe some Resphigi and some Richard Strauss on 45.
But the nature of these big works might make it difficult to press at 45. I would buy Also sprach Zarathustra at 45 but it would mean too many record changes because of the speed(I think?) Tone poems don't lend well to breaks in music.
The Cantatas could be done though!
We have a dearth of good Bach on vinyl it seems, unless Jerome has some inside info :thumb:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:00:39 PM by topround »
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.