Author Topic: StereoMoJo Dac Shootout  (Read 12101 times)

Offline mboldda1

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: StereoMoJo Dac Shootout
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »
So the EE minidac kicks butt, no surprise there, and it's been upgraded to handle USB input better, (though at a bump in price and loss of volume control).
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
  At our AudioSyndrome club  meeting featuring the EE DAC the tubed version won out hands down. Was it the Digital cable used ? the transport ?
  These shootouts are helpfull but moot. Are golden ears proved the opposite. Why ? system content, room, etc.
   The ONLY way to find out is audition one IN YOUR HOME. Helpfull as the shootouts are they can be misleading.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mboldda1

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »
from the review:

For those of you who think that blind shootouts are a waste of time, we at Stereomojo understand that there are flaws inherent in a single blind test, just as there are in any type of evaluation. We believe that the best test is your own ears in your own home in your own system. As with any test or review, this should be used as just one piece of your overall buying decision. We do NOT recommend that you go out and buy anything based on these tests. We think the more honest and unbiased information a buyer has, the better equipped he is to make important decisions and this is just another source of information.
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
Intersting, since I own the EE and Lukas brought a Lampizator (exact spec unknown) to my last Rave, unexpectedly and very much appreciatedly.

I thought the Lamp was much better than the then-stock EE. Even after my op-amp swaps I doubt it could touch the Lamp, which I though sounded juuust right, as Goldilocks says.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
I'll be curious come September when we come out with a MK2 version of the MiniMax DAC.(DAC+1)

Here are some of the details.

1. Sabre ES9018 DAC chip
2. A Sync USB 32/192
3. Dual power transformers separate digital and analog
4. improved tube output stage
5. improved PSU
6. improved signal input section with high frequency relays/resistors module
7. Tube/SS outputs selectable
8. Socketed output opamps
9. improved S/N level

No volume control.

Price will be $1100
 Pre-order price will be $998 for the first 100 DAC's.

I had a Skype conference with Alex yesterday and he was saying that him and the other engineers have been working on the high frequency modules for about 3 months now and getting the boards all set to accommodate all the upgrades. Size will be a bit bigger to hold all the extras

Should take the DAC to another level. I know Alex had a prototype running around to a few of his friends, Vincent who runs Vintage Sounds in HK and also Tim who is president of the Hong Kong Audio Tube Club and they were very impressed . We'll see where it goes :)I love the journey :thumb:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »
Sounds great!! Thanks for improving an already good player.

Offline Face

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 11:10:04 PM »
I'll be curious come September when we come out with a MK2 version of the MiniMax DAC.(DAC+1)

Fully balanced output by any chance?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 04:56:20 AM »
Bill the original is quite good. Anxious to hear the improved version. My favorite feature is the invert polarity switch. Second is the option of tubes. pricing is really fair as well. Best of luck.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 04:56:43 AM »
Intersting, since I own the EE and Lukas brought a Lampizator (exact spec unknown) to my last Rave, unexpectedly and very much appreciatedly.

I thought the Lamp was much better than the then-stock EE. Even after my op-amp swaps I doubt it could touch the Lamp, which I though sounded juuust right, as Goldilocks says.

FWIW

http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/LAMPUCERA/CD%20DAC%20Lampucera%20lampizator.html
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Bunky

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »

Here are some of the details.

1. Sabre ES9018 DAC chip
2. A Sync USB 32/192
3. Dual power transformers separate digital and analog
4. improved tube output stage
5. improved PSU
6. improved signal input section with high frequency relays/resistors module
7. Tube/SS outputs selectable
8. Socketed output opamps
9. improved S/N level

No volume control.

Price will be $1100
 Pre-order price will be $998 for the first 100 DAC's.

I had a Skype conference with Alex yesterday and he was saying that him and the other engineers have been working on the high frequency modules for about 3 months now and getting the boards all set to accommodate all the upgrades. Size will be a bit bigger to hold all the extras

Should take the DAC to another level. I know Alex had a prototype running around to a few of his friends, Vincent who runs Vintage Sounds in HK and also Tim who is president of the Hong Kong Audio Tube Club and they were very impressed . We'll see where it goes :)I love the journey :thumb:
Hey Bill,keep us posted as to when the new units will be available.what op amp will come stock with the mk II version ?.....WCW III
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:08:41 AM by Bunky »
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Bunky

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
  At our AudioSyndrome club  meeting featuring the EE DAC the tubed version won out hands down. Was it the Digital cable used ? the transport ?
  These shootouts are helpfull but moot. Are golden ears proved the opposite. Why ? system content, room, etc.
   The ONLY way to find out is audition one IN YOUR HOME. Helpfull as the shootouts are they can be misleading.

charles
Hey Charles,I slightly prefer the tube output over the solid state even with the LME 49990 op amps in place so you and your friends are not alone in that regard. ;)
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline JLM

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
Good news for an owner of a stock EE DAC (have no interest in uber expensive components). 

No worries for me regarding the new EE DAC as I still spin CDs, use the AES/EBU connection, and use the volume control (as I don't have a pre-amp).

stringdriventhing

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 08:44:14 AM »
Hey Bill C., if you cast your eyes back this way let us know if the new EE DAC will support integer mode playback. Those of us who have forsaken CD players in favor of embracing computer-based media servers are all excited about the positive reports of SQ improvement with integer mode enabled audio players - Pure Music 1.8 and Audiovana. Thanks, String

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »
Hey Bill C., if you cast your eyes back this way let us know if the new EE DAC will support integer mode playback. Those of us who have forsaken CD players in favor of embracing computer-based media servers are all excited about the positive reports of SQ improvement with integer mode enabled audio players - Pure Music 1.8 and Audiovana. Thanks, String

Haven't heard from you in a while. How goes the amp hunt?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables