Author Topic: EE DAC arrived, G2G 8/8!  (Read 28088 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: EE DAC coming soon
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »
To my ears  and Alex Yeung's ears,we like the AES/EBU input best.
 From worst to best. USB,toslink,coax,BNC,AES/EBU. Of course I could be wrong, thought I was once but I was mistaken.

I should have sent along a couple of 12au7's, I know Rich likes our stock tube, but my favorite so far has been a Siemens Silverplate 12au7.Keep in mind though I run EL156 monoblocks and glorious midrange with warmth is what they do best so the Silverplate just adds to the sparkle. If I was running SS amps the silverplate might be to much. I think Carl is still running the McIntosh so the silverplate would be the ticket there also.

Hope you have some 24bit/96kHz music on hand.

Later guys and Thanks,
 Bill

Hey Bill,

I was just curious, do you have any idea if the ESS that your are getting the Sabre DAC chips from is the same company that built speakers using the Heil Aitr Motion Transformers in the early 1970s? From that I remember the font used in the ESS logo is similar to the font used by ESS, the speaker company (it of course has been a long time since I have seem the speaker company's logo, but from what I remember it is not all that disimilar. Just wondering if it might be the same company.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 12:49:04 AM »

Bigfish8

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:10 PM »
Carl:

I would like to attend your DAC comparison if I am in town (uncertain at this time).  If I am available I would be willing to bring along The Tranquility and DB Audio Labs USB Cable but it is USB Only. 

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
The DAC has arrived and is working perfectly! Thanks, Bill!  :thumb:
First impression is very good.. looking forward to hearing how it shapes up with some hours.

Ken, I'm still not 100% on the date.. I do have it narrowed down to either 8/8 or 8/15... sorry I can't commit yet.. just working out all the details for a lot of travel, work, projects, and so on..
Also, YES.. I would like to have a 2nd good USB cable.  Right now it is plugged in with a cheapo.  I have worked out how to switch devices fairly quickly at the PC but I'll need someone at the preamp to change inputs.

So, system is on 24/7 now.. as I listen a room away.. I can definitely hear a difference from the Scott Nixon.. not as soft and rounded-off.. but not super harsh either.. nice!

-C

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:30:28 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 04:59:02 AM »
Damn, neither of those dates work for me.   Norah Jones tickets on the 8th and taking my daughter to college the following weekend.   Anyone else notice how life is really getting in the way of this hobby?   ](*,)

Offline tmazz

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:45 AM »
Damn, neither of those dates work for me.   Norah Jones tickets on the 8th and taking my daughter to college the following weekend.   Anyone else notice how life is really getting in the way of this hobby?   ](*,)

I hate it when that happens.  :?

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 07:07:12 AM »
Try having 2 or 3 hobbies and a life.. That'll keep you busy. ;)
I have a very high respect for you guys with children. 
Mike, I hope your daughter has a wonderful time.. let her know I wish her the best of luck..
-C

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
To my ears  and Alex Yeung's ears,we like the AES/EBU input best.
 From worst to best. USB,toslink,coax,BNC,AES/EBU. Of course I could be wrong, thought I was once but I was mistaken.

I should have sent along a couple of 12au7's, I know Rich likes our stock tube, but my favorite so far has been a Siemens Silverplate 12au7.Keep in mind though I run EL156 monoblocks and glorious midrange with warmth is what they do best so the Silverplate just adds to the sparkle. If I was running SS amps the silverplate might be to much. I think Carl is still running the McIntosh so the silverplate would be the ticket there also.

Hope you have some 24bit/96kHz music on hand.

Later guys and Thanks,
 Bill

Hey Bill,

I was just curious, do you have any idea if the ESS that your are getting the Sabre DAC chips from is the same company that built speakers using the Heil Aitr Motion Transformers in the early 1970s? From that I remember the font used in the ESS logo is similar to the font used by ESS, the speaker company (it of course has been a long time since I have seem the speaker company's logo, but from what I remember it is not all that disimilar. Just wondering if it might be the same company.

Tom

Tom,
 Now your bringing back some memories that were recessed. I had the Heil Air Transformers back in my youth and had forgotten I even owned them. Of course the amplification I used back then probably did not do them justice :lol:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline tmazz

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 08:13:26 PM »
Bill,

Believe it or not they are still in production. Chris (Lonewolfny42) put up a link to their web site a few posts earlier on this thread. A real blast from the past!

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
August 8th
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »
OK, mark your calendars!  The hottest G2G is scheduled for August 8th.. super easy to remember 8-8.  ;)

2:00 PM sounds like a good start time to me.  If others have a preference, let's hear it.

-C

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: EE DAC arrived, G2G 8/8!
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
Since that is a Sunday, any time is good for me...well, not 10:00PM  :roll:.

Just let me know if you want me to bring the Raysonic...or anything else audio or 'cookie' related  :lol:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
I think everyone loves your cookies, Steve... It wouldn't be a G2G without them! 
I'll let you know on the Raysonic.. thanks for the generous offer.

So far I am only aware of my own DAC and the EE.. Are others coming?

-C

Bigfish8

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 05:00:59 PM »
Carl:

My attendance next weekend is up in the air and weather dependent.  One of my customers is holding a fishing tournament on Monday, August 9th.  If the weather is predicted to be acceptable I will be on the Eastern Shore next weekend to fish in the tournament.

I certainly hope to be able to attend and will let you know.

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 06:27:35 PM »
I'm in. Should be fun!

I am deciding right now which transformers to buy for my DAC. If it's done I'll bring it.

manaox2

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »
I'm new to the forum, close by in the area and would love the opportunity to hear a professional DAC using tubes and the Sabre chip. My current DAC is the Buffalo24 (Sabre ES9008 chip) kit by TPA and plan to upgrade soon to the ES9018 in my own DIY kit.

Plus, its always nice to make more acquaintances in the hobby which some might argue the real fun in a G2G is. :)