Author Topic: RMAF 2009  (Read 20572 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: RMAF 2009
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »
I would like to hear about Legacy Focus HD speakers, and Channel Islands new D200 mk2

Did anyone wander into the Feastrex / Lotus Group room? I heard that Joe Cohen has a new open baffle speaker called Granada with digital crossover and twin 12" drivers per side, it was driven with Pass F5s.
Thanks!
Rich

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »
I would like to hear about Legacy Focus HD speakers, and Channel Islands new D200 mk2

Did anyone wander into the Feastrex / Lotus Group room? I heard that Joe Cohen has a new open baffle speaker called Granada with digital crossover and twin 12" drivers per side, it was driven with Pass F5s.
Thanks!
Rich
Rich....

The good....
Feastrex / Lotus Group room...very good. I didn't know about that Granada speaker,
but I met up with Robert (Ridge Street Audio) and asked him what was sounding good. He said "I've heard the best speakers here, now I can go home...check out the Lotus room with the Granada speakers". A few others mentioned that room as well. So Capt. Humble and myself went for a listen, it wasn't on my list.
Nice speaker...very open...good bass...smooth, with plenty of detail. Funny thing...in the larger hotel room that they were in, they had to disconnect one of those woofers....it was putting out too much bass.
If you get a chance....check it out.

On the other hand....in a larger "show" room - Mezzanine level...the Legacy speakers didn't sound good at all.
They had two systems set up....I forgot what electronics ???....but the sound was very veiled...not clear at all. I've heard them sound better in the past.

Channel Islands new D200 mk2....very good match with the Von Schweikert Uni 3's. Good gripe on the speakers....I played a number of tracks....sounded very good to me. A plus.....Dusty is a great guy...always friendly and helpful. I liked it.

I know that some of you were fortunate to attend RMAF and are probably recovering from a fun weekend.  I would appreciate your comments about two of the rooms: 1) GR Research VH-1's and VH-2's with the Dodd Battery Powered Equipment and 2) the Salk Room if you heard the HT-4's.

Ken...

Man....was I tired on Monday when I finally got home....lots of running around there....but I had a great time.
Danny's room (GR Research)....once again...full acoustic treated room makes a difference. Plus....his new speakers ROCKED...really.
With the Dodd battery powered amp and preamp for highs....and the PLATE AMPS running
the woofers...great bass...open sound...he played a few cuts from the 2006 Rave Cd - he had it on his computer... tunes sounded excellent.
Since its a kit speaker....$2,500.00 for the deal....seemed a very good deal if you could build it.

Salk Room....The prototype HT4....which I think will have a new name later...it really still is undergoing changes, and is not a full product yet (as Jim mentioned to me).....sounded OK. The setup....speaker too close together (on Friday - first day)....and other speakers close by....not the best way to listen.
I'll reserve comments till its a done deal....but from past listenings....I like the HT3's.

The one speaker that I keep thinking about....and I did listen in about 50 rooms with Jeff...was the speaker from Oz (Australia)...the Lenehan Audio... the ML1.
"Flagship standmount monitor. Incorporates stressed 1/8th inch steel plate clad enclosure made of high density fibreboard. Xover uses huge hand wound aircore inductors. run in on music and fully hand tuned."
Its tiny....but what a sound....one of the best small speakers that I've ever heard....really.

They were using Monarchy Audio gear....
 http://audiofest.net/2009/exhibitors_profile.php?gbID=914&Sid=255074d62782a422a9247c5eb58eee4c

Full sound....good bass (and its a tiny speaker)....good detail....smooth....I enjoyed the four tracks from the latest Rave Cd. When I first got to the room, Jeff and myself were the only visitors....so I increased the volume a bit to see how well they would do...that did bring others into the room....and at the end, those present agreeded....a very good speaker. So I guess my hearing is still in fine shape.... :rofl:

All in all....a fun RMAF...that went real fast.

Chris

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:40:34 AM by lonewolfny42 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the info Chris!  Good to hear the CIA amp has potential.
Link to Lenehan Audio Speaker:
http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/index.php
$3200 shipped to US.   Looks very interesting.

Did you hear the little Gallo strada system?

shep

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 09:30:17 AM »
The "Radiant Ebony" version of that Lenehan speaker is really gorgeous. Sounds like a winner and the price is very fair for all the thought and technology in it. Unfortunately shipping from OZ is $$$$.

Bigfish8

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
Ken...

Man....was I tired on Monday when I finally got home....lots of running around there....but I had a great time.
Danny's room (GR Research)....once again...full acoustic treated room makes a difference. Plus....his new speakers ROCKED...really.
With the Dodd battery powered amp and preamp for highs....and the PLATE AMPS running
the woofers...great bass...open sound...he played a few cuts from the 2006 Rave Cd - he had it on his computer... tunes sounded excellent.
Since its a kit speaker....$2,500.00 for the deal....seemed a very good deal if you could build it.

Salk Room....The prototype HT4....which I think will have a new name later...it really still is undergoing changes, and is not a full product yet (as Jim mentioned to me).....sounded OK. The setup....speaker too close together (on Friday - first day)....and other speakers close by....not the best way to listen.
I'll reserve comments till its a done deal....but from past listenings....I like the HT3's.

The one speaker that I keep thinking about....and I did listen in about 50 rooms with Jeff...was the speaker from Oz (Australia)...the Lenehan Audio... the ML1.
"Flagship standmount monitor. Incorporates stressed 1/8th inch steel plate clad enclosure made of high density fibreboard. Xover uses huge hand wound aircore inductors. run in on music and fully hand tuned."
Its tiny....but what a sound....one of the best small speakers that I've ever heard....really.

They were using Monarchy Audio gear....
 http://audiofest.net/2009/exhibitors_profile.php?gbID=914&Sid=255074d62782a422a9247c5eb58eee4c

Full sound....good bass (and its a tiny speaker)....good detail....smooth....I enjoyed the four tracks from the latest Rave Cd. When I first got to the room, Jeff and myself were the only visitors....so I increased the volume a bit to see how well they would do...that did bring others into the room....and at the end, those present agreeded....a very good speaker. So I guess my hearing is still in fine shape.... ROFLMAO

All in all....a fun RMAF...that went real fast.

Chris

Chris:

Thank you for the response.  I know you had a great time out there!

Ken

lonewolfny42

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
Thanks for the info Chris!  Good to hear the CIA amp has potential.
Link to Lenehan Audio Speaker:
http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/index.php
$3200 shipped to US.   Looks very interesting.

Did you hear the little Gallo strada system?

Sorry Rich....didn't make it to the Gallo room....heard their larger speakers awhile ago...good for HT.

As for the Lenehan speakers....they have a special I see...
"After placing an AUD$ 275 deposit you have 10 days to wait before shipping when you will need to pay the remaining AUD$2475."

Current exchange AUD$2750. = $2,480.24 USD ....(FREE FREIGHT FOR RMAF SHOWGOERS).

Ken.....Had such a good time, its very hard to get back on track....that was my vacation.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 09:13:26 PM »
Thanks for the correction on the price Chris, that's much better!