Author Topic: for lovers of baroque opera  (Read 4351 times)

shep

for lovers of baroque opera
« on: October 17, 2009, 04:08:52 PM »
and the outrageous, awesome Cecilia Bartoli. Her latest on Decca is "Sacrificium". This is really out there someplace else. It's a fat and very scholarly diatribe against the practice of castrating boys to become castrati singers; somewhat morbid and shockingly detailed and several centuries late but I guess this must be something she's been ruminating since it's obvious she's the mastermind behind this project. At the same time it's a celebration of that voice and the music written for it. In any case Cecilia is in her element, mistress of same and pulls it off with total control and bravado and obvious gusto. I have the feeling, from her recent albums, that she putting in as much as she can before her voice gives out. She certainly doesn't spare it! I personally think she's the greatest singer/artist:interpreter of the age and once again she shows off her powers of expression and vocal prowess to greatest affect. If anything there's more passion in this album than in many of the previous. The music varies. Some pieces are show-case and others are simply ravishingly beautiful. The orchestra is splendid and the recording excellent. Get it while it's hot and give those speakers a workout!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:11:25 PM by shep »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: for lovers of baroque opera
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I keep reading the title of this and thinking it says 'for lovers of barbecue opera'..
I think that's the only way I'd go see an opera... is if there was a hog on a spit.  :lol: hahaha
Maybe one day..
I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »
 :? :rofl: :thumb:
I keep forgetting this is a redneck (as well as redbook) zone!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »
Yeah, I guess I was born 'red'... hard to take the country out of the boy. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:50:30 AM »
Good to know Shep.  Amazon won't be shipping my order until October 27th.  Have your heard the Altus?  From Moreschi you can kind of get a sense of what a castato could have done.  I still have to get used to counter tenor singing.  I can't imagine how I would feel if I heard a castrato in full power.

A votre sante,  :beer:
I am a nut.

shep

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »
my my, someone thinking about something other than burning meat on a spit! No I haven't. Counter tenors don't do it for me, although I respect their attempts. If you ordered Cecila's cd you are in for pure pleasure. 

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »
Shep,

Thanks for the insight. I am not a big opera fan, but based on your write-up I think I'll give this one a whirl. I found it in the on-line catalog from our local library system so  I reserved a copy. If is ends up being as good as you say it is I will order up a copy for myself.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

shep

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 05:42:36 AM »
Did you get it? WHat do you think?

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »
It was checked out so it took a while for me to get my hands on it, but it finally came in over the holidays.

Very well done. Nice sound and musically I find most opera annoying and bothersome after short while  :roll: ,but I actually listened to this one strait through.  :)

Good recommendation.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

shep

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 01:18:31 PM »
Nice!