Author Topic: Zu Definition 2's - My New Speakers  (Read 17472 times)

miklorsmith

Zu Definition 2's - My New Speakers
« on: October 19, 2007, 04:29:59 PM »
Two reviews of the 2's, specifically compared with my current speaks, the Definition Pros:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue33/zu_definitons.htm

http://www.zuaudio.blogspot.com/

I basically wound up with these speakers because I wanted full SET compatibility, the "single driver" sound, but big-time bass output too.  I have electronica and hip hop in the collection and if the speaks don't have big-time throwdown potential, they won't work for me long term.  These wrap all those goals into 1 square foot and look pretty darn modest, size-wise.

The new version promises a new filter network for the supertweeter which kicks in at 12 khz and a completely reworked cabinet.  The new cab is now rigid plywood with lots of internal bracing and has two different chambers for the 4 - 10" sub drivers per side.  The old version had a subenclosure for the main array, with the remainder of the volume committed to the sub drivers.  Now, there are three separate air-spaces and the subwoofer enclosures are something like a 3:1 ratio.

This is to "tune" the bass output to different reaches, similar to what DeVore is doing with "The Nines" and their two separate reflex ports.  I heard the smaller chamber might be tuned as high as 100 hz down to 50 and the larger goes from 65 hz down to 16 or so.  This last part wasn't from Zu, so it may be incorrect.

I hope it is true though - my biggest complaint about them has been that the 40 hz transition between the mains and subs is too low.  I currently use an in-line filter and the sub EQ to get the XO point to around 70 hz which works much better for me.  I'm excited to check this feature out.

The other main highlight is a fusion of the 1.5 and Pro - there are bass amps built in that can drive the subs off the main speaker leads like the 1.5, or there are separate terminals for the mains and subs if the user wants to provide their own amp and EQ.  Since I already have the amp and EQ I'll try it both ways and go with whatever works better.  I hope the internal amp is perfect, getting the Crown and EQ out of my rack would be great.

Check out the photos of the rear panel - there's a lot of junk going on.  There are three sets of speaker posts, an attenuator knob for the bass array, and an IEC input to power the onboard bass amp. 

Zu claims some day soon there will be some computer/internet connection functionality that will allow the user to e-mail their room response to them, it can be tweaked at the factory, and sent back to tune the room.  I have no idea how this will work but I'll be happy to try it when I get a chance.

OK, that's it.  Sorry for rambling but I'm excited, canya tell?   :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:36:49 PM by miklorsmith »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Zu Definition 2's - My New Speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:56:36 PM »
Definitely pushing the envelope and riding the cutting edge as usual Mike. It is great to have you sharing your adventures on AN. As you know, your Altmann adventure benefitted me greatly. But you forgot to tell us the most important feature - what color did you pick?? Please tell me you got the bright red... hehe    Having large driver speakers also, I know what you mean about the throw down factor - for me it means totally relaxed organ music and symphonies at any volume level, even WAY above live. Deep stereo bass is something I can't live without. I will read the reviews to find out more about the new Defs.
Thanks
Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 11:02:02 PM »
Actually, it's the same exact color I have now.  It's the dark red automotive paint you see everywhere.  The last go-round the full-gloss was like $1k extra so I got the satin finish.  This time, gloss is standard so it's gonna be struttin' the runway beeatch!  (Sorry, little ho-down throwdown street speak fo' dat friday nite bidniss)

Yah, the "no significant musical information below 40 hz" crowd is jus' making excuses - there's a ton of it if you have da goodz.

Oh yeah, I have a little Patty B. going with the Altmann DAC, the SB, and my "old" speaks.  It's freakin' brilliant.  Weird, my upgrades used to be inspired by dissatisfaction.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:03:50 PM by miklorsmith »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 07:12:29 AM »
Actually, it's the same exact color I have now.  It's the dark red automotive paint you see everywhere.  The last go-round the full-gloss was like $1k extra so I got the satin finish.  This time, gloss is standard so it's gonna be struttin' the runway beeatch!  (Sorry, little ho-down throwdown street speak fo' dat friday nite bidniss)

Yah, the "no significant musical information below 40 hz" crowd is jus' making excuses - there's a ton of it if you have da goodz.

Oh yeah, I have a little Patty B. going with the Altmann DAC, the SB, and my "old" speaks.  It's freakin' brilliant.  Weird, my upgrades used to be inspired by dissatisfaction.

Good luck with the new speakers. A full range speaker in one box. Brilliant! There are still people who claim that a sub is not required. I say BS. The piano goes to 28Hz and the overtones lower. What about the low level info of the recording space and decay of the music. Are they kidding me. Even chamber music with a double bass. IMO once you hear bass done right there is no turning back. Long live deep bass.
   Kudos to ZU for their pursuit of the entire frequency range. Well done indeed.

rollo 
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Bigfish8

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:04:37 AM »
Mike:

Congratulations on the new speakers.  They certainly look beautiful in the pictures.  I am curious if they require biamping or is the map included inside the speaker to drive the bass drivers?

Ken

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 08:34:04 AM »
The Pros I have now require a separate bass amp and EQ.  There is no network at all for the bass drivers and they will run up to 1 khz without the EQ, which is WAY too high.  So, they have two sets of cable terminals behind the speaker.

The 1.5s have an internal bass amp and take a feed off the main speaker cables.  They have one set of cable inputs but also a bass attenuator and IEC power jack.

The new ones will let you do it either way - they have an internal bass amp but also bypass capability.  The guy I talked to who had the Pros and the 2s said bass is more impactful and integrated with the interal bass amp on the 2s than the dedicated amp and EQ on the Pros, which are already great there.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 04:06:42 PM »
...  little ho-down throwdown street speak fo' dat friday nite bidniss

Listen up kids - this is your brain on good, clean bass....     :lol:   

Sounds like candy apple red lacquer, designed to sex up the hotties on first glance. hehe

Amen brother

miklorsmith

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 01:11:09 PM »
Delivered - they're sitting in my car in the parking lot at my work right now.   I want to take them home so bad!!!   :D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
It's gonna be a long night of fun ahead!
Congrats Mike! Can't wait to hear all about them. I'm sure it will be several month process to dial them in and fall in love all over again.
Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 01:49:04 PM »
I'm ditching work early. . .

shhhhh

miklorsmith

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »

A little eye candy to tide y'all over.   :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 11:43:40 PM »
Looking good there Mike !!!
Enjoy your new Zu's.......and have a Happy Thanksgiving (I know you will.... :D/)

......................Chris

Bigfish8

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 05:50:26 AM »
Mike:

They are beautiful and thanks for sharing the pictures.  Please keep us posted on how they sound as you break them in.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ken

miklorsmith

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 07:33:53 AM »
I thought about you for the picture, Chris - of course.  It's now The Classic Pose.  Nobody does it as good as you though.  We DO have the best beer in the world here.   :D

The new speakers sound better than the old ones and they have 6 hours on them.   :shock:  I haven't even tuned the bass EQ.  Time to turn them on and play loud for a full week 24/7 while I'm on vacation.  If that isn't the best breakin possible I don't know what is.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 07:52:34 AM »
Hey, those pointy dust caps look cool!!  8)  Nice color too. 

Don't forget to press pause for some turkey!  Happy TG!

Rich