Author Topic: Revel's  (Read 26320 times)

lonewolfny42

Re: Revel's
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
Where in the world did you find that photo Chris?

Maybe the AVA forum.....  :rofl:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 09:28:35 AM »
Bob....you could build these....

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
psst...

Where in the world did you find that photo Chris? Priceless. I wouldn't be surprised though if it did in fact have medicinal properties. I will ignore the illusion allusion to speaker cables as being beneath your dignity and experience  :thumb:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

shep

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 09:54:45 AM »
Thank you sir. T'was written in unseemly haste.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2011, 10:16:37 AM »
How about a nice vintage model....here's a pair for sale...

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1300998569&/Mirage-M3-

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »

Is that V1 or V2?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »

Is that V1 or V2?

The Super-V. A step up from the V-1, this all open baffle design uses a coaxial upper driver and a pair of or SW-12-16FR servo controlled woofers below. This speaker has 97db sensitivity, is an easy 8 ohm load, and can play flat to 20Hz with a -3db down point in the teens. It is sold as a kit and includes EVERYTHING but the cabinets for $2,495.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »
I have heard Revel's F series, Salon's and Ultima's.  If 2 people stood in front of the Revel's with large sheets of foil and walked around in circles in front of the drivers, the person listening may get a similar effect as what I've heard from Vandersteen 2's and 3's I've heard.  I just don't 'get' that sound.  There must be some magical setup for them that I haven't heard... because they just sound confused in every way to me (imaging is weird, dry-sounding overall, one-note bass).  In contrast, the Revel's just sound good out of the box, anywhere you put them.  They sound better when you put more time into the setup... but they start out pretty good.  But, where's the Nervosa in something that easy? ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Bigfish8

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2011, 05:24:51 PM »

Is that V1 or V2?

The V2 is a speaker I very much want to hear.  I understand that Danny is having problems obtaining flat pack panels and may be the reason the speaker has not been more popular.  Philistine just completed a pair of V1's and he claims they are incredibly musical.

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 06:53:18 AM »
Do the Super V and V1 use the same coax?

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
The Revels are truly awesome. Weeks later and they left an impression. They are some performers!
M
Its cool ndude.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
I was researching F52 and remembered this old thread.

Revel has introduced the replacement for Performa line, called Performa3.
http://www.revelspeakers.com/Products/Details/223

The list price is $4500 for the F208 pictured here, which is close to the F52 which had 3 6" woofers. There is also a baby floorstander called F206 with 2 6" woofers for $3k.  There will be an F308 model coming in the future which will have three 8" woofers for $6k. More info

Soundstage preview

Video about the line:
Video

The new line is making older models available on AudioGon. There is a pair of F52 for local only sale nearby me in Charlotte. Lots of praise on this thread has me considering it. I checked with Revel, there have been no changes to F52 since first released.   It uses all iron core inductors, the Performa3 uses a mix with aircores on series coils, steel on shunts (supposedly "not in signal path.") I'd need more amp power.

The new Harmon CEO (installed after Sidney Harmon sold the company a couple years ago) has moved Performa/Performa3 mfg from USA to China and Ultima2 production from USA to Mexico. :(  That explains the prices cut in half.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:31:16 PM by richidoo »

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 05:22:50 PM »
The mid and woofer look like SB Acoustics. http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/sb-acoustics/

Offline richidoo

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2012, 07:16:36 AM »
The mid and woofer look like SB Acoustics. http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/sb-acoustics/

They do look like SB...  Revel says they make drivers from scratch, but I doubt they maintain a driver factory of their own. Especially now with the drive to reduce cost.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
Is Kevin Voecks still designing these?
I really enjoy listening to music.