Author Topic: HDMI vs RCA cables  (Read 5341 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
HDMI vs RCA cables
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:17:05 PM »
Was having trouble with my cable box. The guy shows up and the first thing he does is rip out the HDMI cord that came with my Bravia and installs some real cheap rca cables. Of course he takes the HDMI with him to as my wife quotes him "trash em". Does separate wires (three video and two audio) trump an HDMI. I'm going to get better cord. Which way should I go.

Thanks
Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Re: HDMI vs RCA cables
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:22:41 PM »
Does separate wires (three video and two audio) trump an HDMI. I'm going to get better cord. Which way should I go.

HDMI doesn't (by nature, or architecture) do anything any better than any other type of cable. If you're happy with the video and audio, then I'd say you're finished.

The HDMI was created to save the big companies from us little people from pirating their copyrighted content via "HDCP" (high definition content protection). In layman's terms, HDCP has the ability to make two perfectly good pieces of equipment not work with each other because they're different version of HDMI/HDCP and they won't "Handshake".

Having three RCA cables works just fine, because there's no "handshake" from a source component to the next component in the chain asking it if it has the ability to pirate what's being displayed.

All things being equal, you're fine. Of course he could have dorked up the installation by using RG-59 as opposed to RG-6 (but I doubt he even carries RG-59 on his truck anymore), or in any other countless ways a cable guy can halfass your cables. He could also have used the $0.99 red and white cables for your audio. Those are like the free ones you get when you buy a cheap DVD player.

How's the picture and audio quality compared to what it was?

Bob (HDMI hater)

Offline dflee

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:04:58 AM »
Already running decent cable from the box to the stereo for the audio section. Have a decent silver cable 75 ohm so I was thinking about getting a better cable to replace the crap the cable guy installed. Your thoughts please.

Thanks
Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:32:41 AM »
   OK no laughing Radio Shack for the TV. When watching video the brain cannot focus on audio and video at the same time. So no super dupper IC is needed. If using for audio only yes by all means experiment.
   You will get more improvement with a power cord and isolation transformer then any IC. The only place that will make a difference is with a sub. Try coaxial for the sub and be happy or solid core wire.
    Why not try RCA for audio out of cable box not TV. Use HDMI for video only [ mute TV ]. Have fun.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
Was having trouble with my cable box. The guy shows up and the first thing he does is rip out the HDMI cord that came with my Bravia and installs some real cheap rca cables. Of course he takes the HDMI with him to as my wife quotes him "trash em". Does separate wires (three video and two audio) trump an HDMI. I'm going to get better cord. Which way should I go.

Thanks
Don

Hi Don

Does your cable company send a 1080P signal by any chance? The reason I ask is that my old cable company Optimum/Cablevision would only send signals up to 1080I or 720P. This would allow me to use the existing Component cables I have and use analog ICs for the sound from the cable box to the TV. At the time that saved me money vs having to buy an HDMI cable new even at their cheaper prices. I also did not care that I had 5 cables instead of 1 cable. Due to the limitation of cablevision there was no difference video wise with HDMI vs. the 5 analog cables.

Also to Rollo's point about the power cables and ICs for your TV and/or cable box. A +1  :thumb: for that recommendation. I did change the power cord to a DIY VH based power cord and plugged my TV into a Tice Power block. Definite improved picture to me.

Offline dflee

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 05:38:05 PM »
Audio ics go directly from the cable box to my pre with Morrow cable. Tele speakers are unlistenable (I'm spoiled) since I've done this. Only thing from the cable box to tele is the three analog ics. Tele is plugged into my Richard Gray 400 and is a definite improvement. I am experimenting with a panamax into the RG 400 for the stereo and will be trying the stereo directly into the same outlet as the RG at a later date. Would love to have Pete make me up an sc for the tele some day.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
HDMI vs RCA is the same as comparing digital verses analog. AFAIC, your cable dude ripped you off by taking the HDMI cable w/o YOU first comparing the 2 sounds for yourself! I mean how hard is it to compare some musical audio channel like Palladia using the 2 formats? I'll tell you right now your HDMI sound will soundly tromp RCA cables on that channel. Why? Cuz with HDMI, you'll be getting Palladia's Dolby Digital sound, something you'll never get using RCA patchcords. Plus if you have a digital surround receiver, you'll get 5.1 Dolby Digital that will stand alone against any RCA which can only provide inferior PCM analog stereo from a superior digital audio source.

The reason this thread caught my attention was I just had a similar comparison but using a digital coax/component video cables verses a HDMI from a DirecTv DRV. I found that the HDMI picture was not only superior to analog component video cables but the HDMI sound was even better than a digital coax, both coming out of the same source.

So at the very least, you should have had the option to hear both and choose for yourself,,, that's a given IMHO.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »
Robin has a good point. I wasn't thinking about the different formats we're forced into using by selecting different in/output jacks.

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
I'd be looking around to see what else he might've taken.  :rofl:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:34:07 AM »
HDMI vs RCA is the same as comparing digital verses analog. AFAIC, your cable dude ripped you off by taking the HDMI cable w/o YOU first comparing the 2 sounds for yourself! I mean how hard is it to compare some musical audio channel like Palladia using the 2 formats? I'll tell you right now your HDMI sound will soundly tromp RCA cables on that channel. Why? Cuz with HDMI, you'll be getting Palladia's Dolby Digital sound, something you'll never get using RCA patchcords. Plus if you have a digital surround receiver, you'll get 5.1 Dolby Digital that will stand alone against any RCA which can only provide inferior PCM analog stereo from a superior digital audio source.

The reason this thread caught my attention was I just had a similar comparison but using a digital coax/component video cables verses a HDMI from a DirecTv DRV. I found that the HDMI picture was not only superior to analog component video cables but the HDMI sound was even better than a digital coax, both coming out of the same source.

So at the very least, you should have had the option to hear both and choose for yourself,,, that's a given IMHO.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Good input Robin and good to see you posting here again.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.