Author Topic: Fuse upgrade  (Read 13215 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Fuse upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
I'm not bashing it. I just don't trust it to be superior to a genuine Bussman. They use the hype code word "nano" with no technical explanation of what I am buying. The package them in individual plastic boxes with foam inserts, special stickers and gold plate, and it still only costs $5. I'd sooner buy the gold plated genuine Bussman fuses without the nano hype from UK. But that wouldn't give me the ultimate fuse because it is still an aluminum Bussman fuse like the stock fuse I already have.  So I would rather buy Synergistic Research fuse from American company that I know and trust and who explains why it is worth $80, or a SINE fuse from Germany where their TUV agency must quality test every export product.

Why would I spend $80 instead of $10? I seek value, not a quick thrill or just quenching my curiosity. If fuses matter, then I want the best fuse there is, it's only $80 for such a huge claimed improvement. $80 is worth that, if it's true. And I wouldn't consider buying any upgrade fuse if I thought for a minute that there was a change that my equipment would pop it.

DaveC

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
I just checked and the fuse I used in my DAC is a Create Audio. It is not a ripoff, it did make a noticeable improvement, but I have not compared it to other "high end" fuses.

If I were to buy fuses without worrying about cost I would definitely go with Furutech, their products perform great across the board.

DaveC

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »
Also, here's two very positive reviews for Create fuses:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1362021741&&&/Create-Audio-luxury-version-nano-fuse-Tw

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/lar/3.html

I wouldn't assume something like this would be a poor performer just because it costs a lot less than their competitors... we all know the value for money in hifi audio is nebulous and there's a lot of snake oil and unreasonable markups. It's the same with cables, a 10x markup is par for the course... There's a lot of cables made by Neotech's parent company for cable companies who add a zero to the end of the price they pay, all they are doing is marketing a decent cable at an unreasonable markup, with a lot of marketing fluff and snake oil added to justify the exorbitant price. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for the fuses, and Create is offering a similar product to everyone else, just without the unreasonable markup.

Unless you compare Create to others, it is just speculation...

And the POV that every audio company offers a similar value for the money, and that you pay for what you get, is simply enabling that sort of unethical behavior and unreasonable profit margins.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:05:57 PM by DaveC »