Author Topic: Replace my MACs?  (Read 8730 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Replace my MACs?
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
So, I just bought a pair of Maggie 3.6s and since I'm in the mood to spend mo' money, I'm thinking if the maggies deserve better than My Audio Cables aka MACs
Please tell me that they don't.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

lonewolfny42

Re: Replace my MACs?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:49:13 AM »
I just bought a pair of Maggie 3.6s...

Congrats Emil.... :thumb:

.....so...when's your Rave... :rofl:

..I'm in the mood to spend mo' money..

Good....you'll be helping out the economy... 8)

I'm thinking if the maggies deserve better than My Audio Cables aka MACs...

Maybe....

Can you borrow other brands from your friends....to try.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:20:46 PM »
Chris
 Sometime next month

Maybe a cable shootout?
    --Ice Cube

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:54:25 PM »
Check out Wireworld interconnects.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »
I would get used to what you have now first.  Position the speakers, get the logistics worked out, tweak what you have, etc... Get used to it.  THEN move into finding the right cables that bring out what you like/want in your new system.

Just my opinion..
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:41:01 AM »
I would get used to what you have now first.  Position the speakers, get the logistics worked out, tweak what you have, etc... Get used to it.  THEN move into finding the right cables that bring out what you like/want in your new system.

Just my opinion..

That makes too much sense. i could never do that :)
    --Ice Cube

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 09:31:13 AM »

Just my opinion..

A good opinion it is. Maggies require time to set up right. Tweeters on the inside or outside. Distance apart, distance from rear wall and finally toe in. it can be frustrating unless you have an experienced Maggie setup guy.
  I owned mine for years thought they were perfectly setup. One day Scott Markwell Harry Pearson former setup man came over for dinner. when we went down to listen after a few minutes he said " can I move the speakers around" Well he did and the result shocked me.
  I can offer the same advice now so if you like I can come over and help. Cabling is the final touch as well as the resistor for the tweeter and separating the crossover from the speaker. Using the proper gauge speaker cables will as well add to the mix. Then room treatment. Maggies love a dead rear wall with diffusion at the rear and side walls.
  Anyway good luck with your purchase, ENJOY!!!!!

charles
SMA

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »
It's not just Maggies, it's 'speakers' that take a while to get setup. Just when you think you're done, you wonder if there isn't a little too much bass resonance.  Or is the imaging right? Toe-in? Etc.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 10:35:49 AM »
It's not just Maggies, it's 'speakers' that take a while to get setup. Just when you think you're done, you wonder if there isn't a little too much bass resonance.  Or is the imaging right? Toe-in? Etc.

Carl,

While I agree with you that all speakers will benefit from a careful set-up, I know where Rollo is coming from. In my experience, in addition to just not sounding their best, Maggies can get downright cranky if you don't place them exactly where they want to go.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
and then re-position them, and then tweak them again, and again, and again, and then have some friends come over and move them once more or so, and then come back the next day and re-measure and re-tweak them again ... etc.

... until you finally decide they sound pretty good, sit back with a nice beer or two, get up to go to the bathroom and bump into one panel moving it off it's perfect pinppoint position and have to start all over again.

Just sayin'

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »
and then re-position them, and then tweak them again, and again, and again, and then have some friends come over and move them once more or so, and then come back the next day and re-measure and re-tweak them again ... etc.

... until you finally decide they sound pretty good, sit back with a nice beer or two, get up to go to the bathroom and bump into one panel moving it off it's perfect pinppoint position and have to start all over again.

Just sayin'

...or just be sure get up before you've had so many beers that you mistake the Maggies for the bathroom door.  :rofl: :beer:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 08:12:20 AM »

Just sayin'

Oh you Apogee guys  :rofl:. I agree unless one knows how to properly set them up.  :thumb:

charles
SMA

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »

Just my opinion..

The Maggies have to ALSO settle/break in first, won't they?  So, the recommendation seems reasonable.  Well.... Emil's in the mood to get everything new :lol: (can't blame him!)..... Get all done soon :thumb:, so when the rave comes next month, our ears really will be perked up! :beer:

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »
Hi Emil

sorry to bump an older thread but I was looking through stuff in the forum. Did you ever replace your MAC cables? If so what did you replace it with? What are your thoughts on both sets of cables?

The reason I'm asking is I currently have MAC Velvet cables but was thinking about trying DH Labs BL-1 Series II cables made with Switchcraft ends to replace them. I'm not experiencing any problems with the MAC cables. I just got curious about the DH Labs cables because of discussions I had with other audio enthusiasts.

Thanks

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »
I tried some DH Labs power cords some time ago. Very dark sounding IMO.

You may want to ping Triode Pete about his power cords. Very nice indeed.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.