Author Topic: New To Balanced Audio- I Have Some Questions- Opinions Wanted  (Read 3658 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
New To Balanced Audio- I Have Some Questions- Opinions Wanted
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »
Hello Fellow Nervosians,

Tomorrow I am receiving a new amp/preamp combo that will include balanced ins and outs. I am replacing an integrated... My CD player also has balanced outputs.

I currently have no XLR cables- so I am debating about how to configure this system. Add 20-25 foot speaker cables into the mix.

If I use a ~12 foot XLR connection to the new amp, I can place it close enough to use 8 or 10 foot speaker cables.

Is there an accepted wisdom on whether interconnects or speaker cable length affect sound more?

Short question- long speaker cables, or long balanced cables?

I know trial and error are part of the proce$$, but I am trying to get a head start. I don't want to cut the Kimber 8TC on a whim.

Equipment if it matters in the decision process:

Bryston BCD-1 CD player
Bryston 4BSST2 amplifier
Bryston BP26 preamp with separate power supply

Thanks for any replies- I am sure I'll be back with more questions...
Jim

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline woofersus

• Certifiable
    • East Street Audio
Re: New To Balanced Audio- I Have Some Questions- Opinions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
Long balanced cables and short speaker cables.  The IC's carry a much lower level signal, so resistance is much less of an issue, and they will have better noise/interference rejection characteristics as well.
Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »
Long balanced cables and short speaker cables.  The IC's carry a much lower level signal, so resistance is much less of an issue, and they will have better noise/interference rejection characteristics as well.

Noise rejection is what balanced cables do best, which is why the are the overwhelming choice for carrying long runs of low level microphone signals.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 05:40:11 AM »
I agree for a balanced connection the balanced IC's are the ones that should be longer. That's what they are designed for anyway.

But for a normal RCA connection I think the jury is out. Some go one way, some the other. I personally think short IC's and long speaker cables are the way to go when using normal RCA's, until the speaker cable length gets above 20'. Then it really doesn't matter because you will be losing signal either way.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:40:27 AM »
  Jim the Bryston gear loves balanced configuration. The Bryston balanced ICs have a wonderful syngery with their gear.
    A longer balanced IC might be considered from Pre to amp, a short IC [ one mtr.] between CDP and Pre. Speaker cable length can be shortened as desired. The balanced IC will lower the noise floor and give you more of what you like already.
   Have fun trying. 
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
I'm sure that this topic has been debated over and over in countless places, but here's a link to consider...???

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/knowledge/long-interconnects-or-long-speaker-cables-which-are-best

Enjoy!

"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L