Author Topic: for those with too much cash lying around  (Read 6616 times)

shep

for those with too much cash lying around
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:36:54 AM »
 http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/psc/1.html  :D I'm sure it sounds divine, as well it might.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: for those with too much cash lying around
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/psc/1.html  :D I'm sure it sounds divine, as well it might.

Sounds like an interesting idea. It's a shame that it had to come to fruition at a time when silver is selling at its all time price peak.

After reading the 6moons articles I had the following thoughts:

1) For most of us, $42K for a cable is an insane amount of money. For those who can afford it, God bless, I'm sure you will enjoy them and I wish you well. But I can assure you that there won't be any $42k cables in my mancave anytime soon (unless of course that dollar and a dream thing works out for me.  [-o< ) What would be nice though is if they could get some more use out of that new CNC machine by  making a similar type cable out of copper that would hopefully be a bit more within the budget of the average audiophile. (That of course is assuming that a copper based design still sounds good, which may or may not be the case.)

2) While the review uses all  kinds of superlatives when talking about the SQ of the cables it never says as compared to what. I would like to know what his starting point is. Saying that something is way better than an Audioquest King Cobra is one thing, saying that it is way better than a JPS Labs Aluminata is a whole other ballgame.

3) Maybe it is the fact that is is not engineering, but simplified techno-marketing speak, but I was really bothered by the way they kept going on in the article about how the extra detail in the cable was due to its lowered resistance allowing more of the details to come through. To me this just doesn't seem to make sense. Pure resistance is linear with respect to frequency, so while a higher resistance might attenuate a signal more, to would not distort it as the information should be exactly the same, just at a slightly lower level (which can easily be compensated for with preamp gain adjustments.) Now if the combination of the cable geometry and the materials lowers the capacitive and inductive losses in the cable that is a very good thing since neither of them is linear with respect to frequency and therefore they both cause signal distortions. Any of our other engineering types have any thoughts on this?
That said, while I may be an engineer at work, I am an audiophile and a consumer at home. If something sounds good, I don't have to understand how and why it does, I'm just happy that somebody else took the time to figure it out and I can reap the benefits and enjoy the product.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »
I'm sorry, but $42,000.00 for cables is F___ing insane!
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
How much for cash?.... :thumb:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:39:43 PM »
I like the reptile scale outer skin.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
Maybe I do a 1/2 meter?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:01 AM »
   For 42,000 just hardwire the suckers and bypass all the connection BS. Its time for a new standard in connections for audio.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:41:31 AM »
The $42,000 price point is not so they can sell a few of these and make a bundle. It's so they can say they have a "statement" product, which almost nobody can verify performance on. Then they can justify asking larger amounts on their other cords citing the "trickle down" research from their statement product.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »
The $42,000 price point is not so they can sell a few of these and make a bundle. It's so they can say they have a "statement" product, which almost nobody can verify performance on. Then they can justify asking larger amounts on their other cords citing the "trickle down" research from their statement product.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!! Apogees ?  :wtf: aa

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »

Additionally,  a big chunk of that $42,000 is going to pay for that CNC machine that from the sounds of the article as of now is being used for nothing other than making these cables. How many $42K cables can the realistically expect to sell and what percentage of the CNC investment does each one have to cover. I would think that they would be pretty big numbers.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
I hate to say it (but it's true)... the best connector is... "No Connector!"  :duh
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

jsaliga

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
It's so they can say they have a "statement" product...

And that statement would be something like "Damn, I can't believe we got someone to drop $42K on a set of our cables!"  :rofl:

--Jerome

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »
  Spot on Jerome.  8)

charles