Author Topic: Electricity/cables/Ear  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Electricity/cables/Ear
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:55 PM »
This is probably the only place i would be able to post this with out getting flamed. Here goes, its the most interesting paradox how people associate hearing with measuring electricity output in audio. IOW, how a measuring tool like an osilliscope can be mistaken to be a proper measuring device to evaluate  how a human ear hears and interprets sound.

Its imo that we don`t hear electicity at all. What we hear are all the devices in combined affect at the output. I am talking about everything from the source to the speakers.  All the caps, resistors, wires, transformers, speaker materials, speaker enclosures and materials  included that makes all the components work.  We can not hear electricity, so when we use an oscilliscope that shows an output of identical wavelength and it sounds different. Its obvious that electricity has nothing to do with what we hear, because we don`t hear it.    :lol: 
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Face

Re: Electricity/cables/Ear
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
Brass sounds like ass and plastic belongs in toys.   :thumb:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 04:45:52 AM »
finally some common sense

Werd you have come full circle my friend :thumb:

Nicely said

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 07:12:47 AM »
I like that. When you think about it, the audio system and the hearing system are completely different systems; one is metal, fiber and data, the other flesh and consciousness. The former is merely a machine designed and optimized to serve the latter. Any logic that claims the system is a valid entity on it's own separate from the ears is misguided. They are just doing it like a puzzle to achieve low distortion on their oscilliscope for the pleasure of winning the rubiks cube.  It never translates into listener pleasure or sales unless the low distortion allows the mind to more easily slip out of sound awareness and into music awareness. We don't hear low distortion. Just like we don't see darkness, or taste water. We hear sounds and we listen to music or stories or whatever feeds the mind.

There is virtue in the technical art of experimenting with different topologies and reducing distortion. That is a lot of fun. But it is a different hobby to music listening. Like engine tuning is different than driving.

To take it a step further, I believe that we only hear the sound as a means to listen to the content of the sound.  As long as there is not some gross distortion that distracts the mind from relaxing into pondering the meaning of the content then it will naturally slide into alpha state to become more and more aware of what the music is doing, rather than what it sounds like. Our point of awareness changes from, "that sounds clear," to, "the singer moves me." An emotional connection is made. It has little to do with the gear, except not blocking the emotional flow. High distortion amps like DHT often create intense emotional connection as do paper drivers, oil caps and transformers, all contribute pleasurable distortion. I think music lovers can easily overlook minor distortions because they are very practiced in zoning into the music vibe. But some people are very sensitive to the minor distortions and require more distortion to cover over the objectionable electronic perversions common in value priced gear. Either softer with euphonic distortion, or more expensive to eliminate the distortion and allow more of the edge without the pain. A talented audio designer can achieve extremely low distortion while retaining the musicality at a low price. There are few of these left anymore.

There is a threshold that is different for everybody, where the accuracy and detail of a very low distortion system can stimulate the hearing sense to such a degree that it prevents the awareness from shifting into alpha state, and hold it in active beta state with consequent adrenal stimulation; audio thrills are fun. Over time an addiction to the detail and power can form, and the listening act is only for the pleasure of hearing. It prevents sliding into semi hypnosis and getting into the music. Music is chosen that has no depth, just sonic fireworks, or sounds beautiful. Eventually boredom comes, and empty wallet. Time to rest and back off on the resolution add some distortion.  The audio engineer who doesn't understand how the mind perceives music as opposed to sound will not see this, thinking no distortion is acceptable, and they will not produce pleasurable circuits, or make money, except from those who buy into their technical or marketing spin.

I often think about the perception of sound by the brain and the mind. Thanks for starting this thread, Werd.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 08:36:24 AM »
As an engineer, I firmly believe that whatever it is that causes one system to give us goosebumps and another to leave us flat emotionally can be quantified and measured, but as of now we just don't know what to look for..... maybe some day. [-o<

To look at this from another perspective, a hammer is a great tool and you can use it along with a well engineered design to build a solid and well constructed house. But it takes something beyond the cold hard engineering and science to make that house a home.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 12:03:14 PM »
Thanks everybody for the  :thumb:

"To take it a step further, I believe that we only hear the sound as a means to listen to the content of the sound"

I believe the naysayers love it and feed off the audiophile meaning of sound. Although we do hear sound, i think its easier to get attacked if we refer to it as sound. Since all the psychobabble associated to the misconception of hifi use sound as their word of choice.  I think its a mistake we all use by talking about it in these terms. If we bring the whole conversation to our ballpark and talk about it terms of musical instruments. It shuts them down in terms of naysaying. Improvements let me hear livelier guitar or cleaner cymbals. They really are put on the spot if we refer to the reverb on the guitar as more apparent. They can't retort or naysay when we do this. Only because they really don't understand what we are talking about or even try to figure it out.

"It prevents sliding into semi hypnosis and getting into the music. Music is chosen that has no depth, just sonic fireworks, or sounds beautiful. Eventually boredom comes, and empty"

I love that, i would buy bose if i didn't listen like this. there would be no reason to spend any money at all if i couldnt obtain a meditated state. I encourage anybody to read Sri Chimnoy and his lessons on meditation to obtain a singularity in focus. It will improve your understanding of meditation and how to get there. Its isnt that hard at all.

when listening to music being in a state of hypnosis/meditation lets me hear improvement or changes in my gear. Its really in this state that makes it feasible. I can understand why people don't care about hifi or spending money since they basically listen in a normal state of casual listening. Thats ok since 90 percent of my listening is like this. but when i do sit down late at nite this is where the money comes in. Improvements cost money and make for a better musical journey. I spent almost 20 k for that 10 percent of listening pleasure only since its phenomenal and worth it.....

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:25:08 PM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 02:50:03 PM »
Maybe this guy can quantify sound in an organic way.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Werd

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »
Maybe this guy can quantify sound in an organic way.

woot!!! .. free dl's
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,