Author Topic: Grover SX?  (Read 23277 times)

shep

Re: Grover SX?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
True but the printing keeps them at least the same (in my head!)

shep

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 08:18:29 AM »
Has no one anything to say about the SX??? I like them. Am I all alone?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 08:41:59 AM »
They weren't right in my system but I could see how someone would like them in theirs.  How's that? ;) Want more?
I have found the standard JPS ultraconductor 2 more to my liking.  I liken it to Kimber PBJ or any other cheap yet musical cable.  Not really a tone control but not really going to 'wow' you either.  When cables start 'wow'ing' me then they tend to take on a flavor.  Grover's have a flavor, much like the upper end JPS's.. In the end, I've decided 'bland' is my favorite flavor.

So that's all I can really say about Grover's latest... or JPS or any other cable.. They're very system dependent...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 08:54:19 AM »
I'm using an SX pair on my analog rig (EE Minimax phono pre -> Oracle DAC1000) and it seems to be a very nice match there - Sounds well balanced top to bottom and I think the SX is a step toward Carl's bland flavor - less of the top-end edge that the former SC cables had.   

shep

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 08:58:13 AM »
I don't get a "wow" factor. Pretty ballanced with a nice sense of width and excellent bass définition and general all-round-ness. Bland I wouldn't call it though.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 08:59:20 AM »
I don't need any added excitement in my system... so I look for balanced but on the laid back side.. or kind of 'bland' overall.

I think the SX IC's were a step in the right direction, better than the 'graphites' but I can't rember how they compared to SC or 'SC.' The all-white version are still my favorite for 'bland'.

BTW, The SX speaker cables were not bland.  They were believed to be 'broken' and were sent back to Grover.  Did those ever get 'fixed' and sent back to anyone to hear?  
I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »
I've not heard a thing, except from Grover, who wants me to hear them. By the way; does anyone here have an informed (or even totally imaginative) idea exactly why a given cable will sound so differently from one system to another?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »
I should clarify my post.... what I hear is not 'bland' (and if it was, that would be more a reflection of my system, not the cables ;-).  I was just coining Carl's phrase. 

What I hear is 'neutral' which is a step in the right direction relative to Grover's earlier ICs - at least to my ears.  I think they are very well balanced top to bottom and present an excellent wide and deep sound stage.  I think they have less of a tonal influence than their predecessors  :thumb:.  They still convey great detail, but I feel the top-end is a bit more refined.  So for those that felt the SC cables were too bright or etched on top, I think these might prove a better fit. 

AcidJazz

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »
I haven't really done any direct comparison with the earlier versions, I just threw the two pairs of SX into the system and forgot about them. In the interim I have been tweaking some other stuff, and assessing other changes in my system.
I am just about done with tweaks, so hope to give the SX ICs some attention. I think they are a tad warmer than the SCs, but won't swear by it.

shep

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »
When my cdp comes back, all done up for Christmas, I'll be able to get a better handle on all these cables I suddenly have in house. :?

Bigfish8

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »
Wow, the cable names become confusing. :duh  I owned two pairs of the "Graphite," upgraded to the "S," and then to the "SC."  Grover allowed me to try the SX cables and I really strained to hear differences from the SCs.  If they were better or worse I honestly could not hear a significant difference between them.  While I no longer have Grover's in my system I still believe they provide an excellent performance to price value.

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 05:54:03 PM »
There may be a lot of names in the last 2 years, but don't forget there were multiple versions within each name. I am aware of at least 4 versions of the new SX designation.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »
After placing my order for "upgrade" to Grover SX I asked Grover and he confirmed that he did have examples of his previous cable versions on hand.  I discussed with Grover by phone and e-mail my impressions on previous Grover IC versions up through Grover "SC" and "SCdot" and even particularly highlighted what I felt was pretty much an overall consensus that the Grover (S) "graphites" had exhibited the most "edge" or "grain" of all his designs and that the Grover (S) white/white were perhaps liked the best (detailed yet balanced frequency-wise and with perhaps the least edge or grain).
Grover acknowledged that some iterations could have been sideways moves or even a step backwards in some areas.

Grover sent me 2 pr. Grover SX with non-teflon dielectric and aluminum incorporated for audition.
These were very good and for first time I felt this particular version of Grover SX were if anything a tad on the "musical" side of the detail vs. musicality "knife edge" and might could be further tweaked to regain a bit more detail and extension while still remaining sufficiently "musical."  I conveyed my impressions to Grover.

On November 14 Grover e-mailed "...Sorry for the delay, I changed the Sx again so you'll be getting even better cables. ..."

On December 4, I finally received my order of 6 pairs 1-meter and 2.5 pairs 2-meter Grover SX ICs w/ RCAs. These are, as I asked for, an apparently "finalized" version with non-teflon dielectric and incorporating aluminum.
Grover's e-mail said "...these new cables are much more labor intensive. The good news is I don't plan any changes. "
These ICs were installed in my system and have been in use probably 6-8 hours per day since late on December 4. 
I find these to be "neutral" in frequency balance (very well balanced top-to-bottom) and to convey more detail and to be slightly more extended in the treble and with great bass definition, while still remaining musical to my ears in my system.
My impression is these also provide a stronger signal but with no increase in noise level.

In combination with the Grover SX speaker cables (with non-teflon dielectric and aluminum incorporated), I find the current Grover SX ICs to provide an excellent balance of detail and musicality and to be an excellent value.

shep

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 09:00:41 AM »
Ahh at last! Thanks for this update. I'm expecting a pair of these as well and will compaire them to the "last" SX (my head spins) and decide which to keep.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »
Thanks Roger! That's great news.

I must like the shrill edge, I enjoyed the graphites for the longest time. And I like Spectron with titanium tweeter, and I like B&W speakers, and in your face violin recordings ..... on and on...