Author Topic: Free Qobuz 3-Month Trial  (Read 30119 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Free Qobuz 3-Month Trial
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2019, 07:43:54 PM »
Qobuz is a cluster fuck right now . I realize it's beta but....
Lots of it not working.  Compared to Spotify it's louder just like Tidal.
Making it tough to compare. Very limited library. They got work to do.
We'll see, if I keep it or just go to Tidal ( cheaper) or stay with Spotify.
I only stream for new music.

It must be a small subset of the library just for the US Beta. I got a trial account at the audio shows this fall. That trial is a full working account on the British site and the library available to me is much better that what I can get in Tidal. Perhaps it is limited because they still have not worked out US licensing rights, which is I suspect why the US launch has been pushed out in the first place.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2019, 08:00:54 AM »
  My concern with streaming is sound quality. Does Qobuz upsample 44.1 to 24/192 ? Has anyone directly compared to a CD played with dedicated transport ? Or compared to a ripped CD to a server. The only thing I stream is WBGO and WQXR and sound is good but not like a CD.

charles
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:02:32 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 08:55:40 AM »
  My concern with streaming is sound quality. Does Qobuz upsample 44.1 to 24/192 ? Has anyone directly compared to a CD played with dedicated transport ? Or compared to a ripped CD to a server. The only thing I stream is WBGO and WQXR and sound is good but not like a CD.

charles

Qobuz streams on what ever the native resolution that they get from the labels.  If they got redbook you get redbook, if the original is 24/96 you get 24/96.  If they received 24/96 and your subscription is only for redbook they downgrade the original to redbook using dbpoweramp.

Edit: Charles, you can sign up for free trial for both Tidal and Qobuz.  You can compare it on your own and make a decision if it is something that works for you or not  :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:04:46 AM by shadowlight »

DRN

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2019, 06:50:58 PM »
Interface much better today at launch.
Library opens up.
As you say they stream whatever native resolution they get from the labels.
I'm cheap so I am in the HiFi kevel.
It sounds good but not as good s my CD trans DAC level.
More listening to be continued.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2019, 07:34:33 PM »
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Its good, but not as good as the best possible sources. But it is good enough to provide me with significant musical enjoyments, especially given the fact it allows me to have access at my fingertips of all kinds of music that I otherwise would not be able to try without buying it blindly. That to me is on its own enough reason to subscribe.

But certain;y when I do find an album that really speaks to me I will search it out on the best possible physical medium, which in my house usually ends up being vinyl.

I don't know of many people who would be inclined to get rid of their record and/or CD collections just because Qobuz was around, but the service sure makes a great overlay on top of you existing physical collection.  :thumb:

Let the games begin!!!   :dj:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2019, 08:13:13 AM »
There is a big improvement in SQ going from HiFi to Studio plans. That said, I do find that HiRes files played locally sound better. However, no complaints here I can live with the SQ and the ability to expand my musical horizons  :-P
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

DRN

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2019, 10:55:06 AM »
Just dumped it, not worth the extra$$.
Might go back later when more organized.
May also try "god forbid" Tidal again.
I should leave well enough alone. :duh