Author Topic: My preamp search...  (Read 24248 times)

mgalusha

Re: My preamp search...
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 04:50:10 PM »
Mundorf,, Hmmmmm,, 8) I'm a habitual tinkerer :shock:

Yeah but there is so little room in there I had to use the "standard" Mundorf caps. These are 17mm in diameter and even to get those in I had to bend the ground buss a bit. Still, they are already better than the Illinois Capacitor caps there were in there, the main improvements being more natural highs such cymbals and triangle with more decay with a more natural sound. The other area which I noticed right away was better harmonics, more body to a piano, more wood in a violin etc. These are only about $4.00 or so each.

mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 07:08:20 PM »
This one was modded by Bill's guy Tutay. But I don't remember what's inside.  But not Mundorfs.  Circuit tweeked a little too.

mgalusha

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 07:43:31 AM »
This one was modded by Bill's guy Tutay. But I don't remember what's inside.  But not Mundorfs.  Circuit tweeked a little too.

Very cool, I'm sure it sounds great. Very nice little preamp.

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »
It sounded great when I got it from Rich,, and now even more so since I put in some NOS tubes,,a Genelax rectifier,tungsram e80cc and a siemens 12au7 silverplate. :D

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »
Aw c'mon George!  The STOCK tubes are the GREATEST 12au7s IN THE WORLD!  :lol:  If you ever wanna sell those you know who to call..... ;)  Then if I can find two more I can build the GREATEST AIKIDO IN THE WORLD!