Author Topic: Intergrated or Separates  (Read 23256 times)

Offline rodge827

• Seeking Help
Re: Intergrated or Separates
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
Gents,

I recently did a complete systems change from an all tube separate 300b SET and horn system to an integrated SS and monitor and sub system.

The integrated is an ATC SIA2-150 (msrp$4000.00) the first half of the watts are biased into class A and then moves into class A/B when needed. My monitors bottom out at around 100hz so the amp will never need to move to class A/B.

There were many reasons why I did the system change, but I can't say I'm unhappy. As with all audio systems there are trade offs and yes there are some notable differences between the two.

As for the ATC I'm very pleased with the sound and performance. Very open, involving, detailed, and without sounding cliche', it does have a tube like quality to it. I can't comment on the bass since that is handled by the dual subs.

I listen to a variety of music, classical, jazz, classic rock, and new age. The ATC delivers on all types with equal finesse, speed and when needed balls.

From someone who has gone from separates to an integrated, all I can say is that I comes down the listener, the system and their personal preference in sound.

Will I ever go back to separates?

Who knows, this is a hobby and nervosa can creep in at anytime.

Chris

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with ATC, just a hobbyest who is satisfied with their product. 8)

For those of you who are not familiar with ATC here are a some links:

http://www.atcloudspeakers.com.au/index.php/amplifiers/atc-sia2-150-integrated-amp

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/atc-sia2-150-478483/review?artc_pg=2

http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.php/2010/11/atc-sia2-150-integrated-amplifier-review/

http://www.avguide.com/review/tas-194-atc-sia2-150-integrated-amplifier

http://www.whathifi.com/review/atc-sia-2-150

My apologies in advance if posting links in this thread is a No-No. If so send me a pm and I will delete them.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
Alexander Hamilton

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »
 Het Rodge827 welcome aboard. Hope to see you posting more.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

steveashe

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 09:15:44 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on a Luxman L-550ax, should be delivered in 2 -3 weeks....great reviews on their L-550aII, this is evolution.  20 watts, all class A, should sound great with my Gallo Ref 3.5's. 
My plan is simply to simplify.  The Luxman has nice big meters, a MM/MC input, headphone jack (for my new, smaller condo with neighbors all around), funky switches and knobs and looks cool.  I can also get rid of cables, tubes and poundage which will be a benefit with a smaller living/listening room. 
Any of you guys have real world experience with Luxman stuff made over the past couple of years? 
I enjoy this site very much, hopefully will have time to post more one of these days...
Thoughts?
Steve

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 09:55:40 PM »
Hey Steve, good luck with the new amp.   :thumb:

For those who are not familiar with it here is a link to pics and further info:

http://analogaudio-mn.com/products/amplifier/integrated-amplifier/luxman-l-550ax-integrated-amplfier/

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 07:26:05 AM »
Congrats, Steve!  Happy listening!  :thumb:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

evan1

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 07:54:48 AM »

:thumb:

steveashe

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
Thanks for the nice words.  I'll certainly update the group after I've had a chance to listen; I'm listening to Bill Evans now, ("Turn out the Lights") through a "fill in" Linn Classik receiver until the Luxman arrives, sounds a bit "thin" and light but hey - it also sounds like music :-)
Steve

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »
Steve,
The Luxman should have a nice warm, musical sound... great Japanese company similar to the old McIntosh / Marantz companies...

Enjoy,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 07:36:24 AM »
 If i was tobuy an intergrated the Luxman line would be the first place I'd start. Built like a tank and a sensuous sound.
   They should mate quite well with the Gallo 3.5s. One pair of Interconnects and speaker cables, one less power cord makes a lot of sense to me. Enjoy !!!

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »
I used to go to a shop where they paired Luxman with Klipsch... Great synergy there.. I've used the lush->harsh mix for years with everything... tubey round gear gets my hard IC's and uber-detailed gear gets my round/soft IC's... etc. 

Even now I'm using a McIntosh 402 (kind of rosy) with Piega's (very detailed)...

Anyway, just realized I've been using the same standard for synergistic balancing I have for over 20 years... but have added many shades of gray to that balancing act. 8)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 08:35:51 AM »
I recently ditched my tube monos for a SS integrated. Works much better for how I listen. I like the SS sonic benefits more than the tube sonic benefits.  But tube v SS is off topic... I also like having one box with a selector and volume knobs. Kids can run it easily.

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »
Rich
Interested on which unit you got and are you still running your DIY speakers?

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
Hi Don,  I am using a 100W prototype amp by local designer Sol Samet. He designed the 150W Cary Audio SS amps that won the Perfect Vision product of the year back in 2004? I helped him voice it, so it suits my taste perfectly! ;)  We keep flapping our jaws about making a PCB so we can sell them - maybe it will happen someday.

Yes, I'm still using the Gravesen DTQWT-12 speakers, but I am just about to start building new sealed cabinets for the same drivers.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 05:43:40 AM »
I really like the retro look of the Luxman.

Retro, like back in the 70's and 80's (damn I'm getting old).
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
I really like the retro look of the Luxman.

Retro, like back in the 70's and 80's (damn I'm getting old).

They look Kenwood which is refreshing everytime i see one. I like those old kenwood receivers for looks.

What i like about integrateds is the hopped up sound you get from the pre and power both on one chassis. Hardwired and responsive. They have gotten better at thermal compression issues especially in class d with digital. Thats what i would look for in a tube integrated is thermal compression if i was looking at one. The solution i guess is seperates but you lose that responsive integrated sound. I liken it to active speakers in a way where the amps are right at the drivers. That kind of active improvement but in the pre/power stages.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,