Author Topic: JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 6C33-B Class A SET integrated  (Read 22239 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 6C33-B Class A SET integrated
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »
i am considering trying one of these with the 93.5 db Silverline Sonata's.Six Moons gave a favorable review of this amp and the reviewer did not have a problem driving a 91 db pair of Devore Fidelity loudspeakers with it.the Bravo 2.3 also had good reviews from Soundstage including a reviewers choice award. i think i can pull off driving the Sonata's with a 18wpc SET amplifier. does anyone here have a opinion about this ? thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 6C33-B Class A SET integrated
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »
My guess is that it will be borderline for symphonies, but fine for mildly compressed jazz, or highly compressed rock/pop stuff. 6C33 makes a lot of current so mild impedance dips to 3ohms should be OK if the transformers are good. If it is a cheapo Ebay type amp usually the transformers are the first thing compromised making speaker matching harder.

My 24W sepp 300B amps were loud enough on compressed music for the 90dB Ushers. But on less compressed stuff the dynamic peaks were weak, so I had to crank in more feedback for that. Those amps are not strong enough for Shane's Harbeth 40.1, which is an easy load but low sensitivity.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »
  My speakers are 94db and using an 18W SET. I see no issues other than what Rich mentioned about the Trannies. Money back before 30 days ? If so give it a go man.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:09:14 AM »
Bunky, I thought you picked up a Niteshade amp not too long ago. Glad to see the Nervosa is still strong in you, young Skywalker!  :rofl:
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »
Bunky, I thought you picked up a Niteshade amp not too long ago. Glad to see the Nervosa is still strong in you, young Skywalker!  :rofl:

Its the SET curse. Oh yes once bitten the SET Vampire appears, oh my !!

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:30:01 AM »
Also Bunky is AN's unofficial tube amp reviewer.  :thumb: 
So many tube amps, so little time!   :thumb:

Offline Bunky

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
Oh yes i am still very smitten with the NS-40 but i do very much like SET amps. Blair Has a 40 wpc + SET amp design on the back burner for me just as soon as i give the word in fact we discussed this amp while the Crimson Red Pearl paintjob was still drying on my brand new NS-40  :rofl:.you would have to spend a considerable amount of money to get a better push pull than the NS-40. Blair is very talented Man. :thumb:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21:27 AM »
Oh yes i am still very smitten with the NS-40 but i do very much like SET amps. Blair Has a 40 wpc + SET amp design on the back burner for me just as soon as i give the word in fact we discussed this amp while the Crimson Red Pearl paintjob was still drying on my brand new NS-40  :rofl:.you would have to spend a considerable amount of money to get a better push pull than the NS-40. Blair is very talented Man. :thumb:

40W ????? SET. Got my attention. Parallel SET ? My next SET will be a 300B based Parala ll with either a 6550 or 6SN7 driver. Not sure of the Trannie yet, though. Audio Note, Lundhal, Bartolucci, NOS. An outboard choke regulated power supply. Tube rectified of course.
   "What a day for a day dream. what a day for a day dreaming boy"

charles
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:04:28 AM by rollo »

Offline Bunky

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 04:14:50 PM »
i just sent payment for the Bravo 2.3 maybe i can get it by the weekend  :)
-- Frank Zappa

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »
Pretty. Do you think it might drive my 83db inefficient Apogees?  :wtf:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
I hooked it up 45 minutes ago and ive been listening to Roger Waters Amused to Death   :drool: it sounds even better than i imagined driving the Sonata III  :thumb:
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »
That was fast! When you get an itch, you don't mess around! 

Sounds like it's gonna be a late night....

Offline Bunky

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
Hey Rich, the one in the photo that you kindly provided is the earliest version with the wood deck surrounding the tubes. they replaced it with a 3/8" lexan deck over the black paintjob with red lettering marking the tube positions.it was a very scary proposition placing a piece of wood that close to a 6C33-B  :duh as hot as those babies run  :shock:. the bass is excellent as are the mids and the treble has a nice sparkle to it.call it class A SET with testosterone  :rofl:
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 06:59:03 PM »
call it class A SET with testosterone  :rofl:

Good synergy!  You found one of those magic combos