Author Topic: Just put Vcaps in my pre! WOW!  (Read 19515 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Just put Vcaps in my pre! WOW!
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
Chris,
No not yet.
I guess I have something to look forward to. :thumb:
Mike

Oh yes you do. If "you" hear his system remember I warned you. Don't do it Mikey I know you there will be Nervosa of the first order :rofl:. 8 Watts and dem horns will "F" you up. You were warned.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
Chris,
No not yet.
I guess I have something to look forward to. :thumb:
Mike

Oh yes you do. If "you" hear his system remember I warned you. Don't do it Mikey I know you there will be Nervosa of the first order :rofl:. 8 Watts and dem horns will "F" you up. You were warned.

charles

Sir Charles,
I put my high power 8 watter SET monoblocks (Western Electric 300B with Tungsol 6sn7 round plate drivers & WWII Sylvania 6sn7wgt input with Tango iron) on my vintage Tannoy dual concentric system... I have 3.5 watt SET monoblocks on my 104 dB horns now... 8 watts way too much power on the horns...heh, heh... :lol:

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 03:18:07 PM »
The V Caps are very special, I use them in my EL156 monoblocks, expensive but in the right circuit they do everything better then the others I have tried.

Triode Pete, Have you tried any other 12AU7's in your DAC? The reason I ask is in our MiniMax preamp they sounded ok but when I threw them into our monoblocks they were horrible.Just a suggestion but you might want to try some Raytheon blackplate square or D shaped getters in there. Yes, I do consider myself an authority on 12au7's. :rofl:
Happy New Year
Or if your looking for a little warmth with killer vocals and body to wood instruments I highly recommend the RCA blackplates 1950's vintage, sometimes they can be over the top though on an already warm system but seductive is the tone.
 Peace to All,
 Bill

Bill,
Thanks for the recommendations on the 12AU7's (I'm a newbie on the 12AU7's but consider myself somewhat of a 6sn7 & 6sl7 guru)... been happy with the clear tops, much better than than the stock Chinese tubes that came with it... was looking for some Telefunken smooth plates awhile back though... I also have a single GE USAF-6189 chrome top with grey plates & a single RCA CRC-6189 chrome top with black plates (since they're singles, I didn't try them... maybe I should?)...I wouldn't consider my system warm, but dynamic and accurate... horns really sound like horns! The RCA blackplates would seem like a good synergy with my system...

Thanks again,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 06:35:53 PM »
Pete,
 I was a vintage Tannoy man for many years, would love to hear that Tango iron with those 300B's and primo 6SN'7's :thumb: That's right up my alley :drool: What Tannoys you have? just curious. I went thru many stages from gold12's to silver 15's, to Churchills. Was so carried away as I had the original blueprints for the Tannoy GRF Professional cabs and met an old engineer in my area that worked for JBL, and Altec and in his years he probably outfitted all the local theatres back in the day with speakers he would build. He had so many templates for folded horn speakers in his basement. Well over 200 and he was a genious. He built the pair I use to have using some rosewood veneer. They were gorgeous. I always wondered why they were so hard to move around. When I crated them up the shipping weight for the pair was 960 lbs. :rofl:
 I have some photos around here of the building process of the speakers. A work of art to say the least. It took him almost 9 months to build .
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
Pete,
 I was a vintage Tannoy man for many years, would love to hear that Tango iron with those 300B's and primo 6SN'7's :thumb: That's right up my alley :drool: What Tannoys you have? just curious. I went thru many stages from gold12's to silver 15's, to Churchills. Was so carried away as I had the original blueprints for the Tannoy GRF Professional cabs and met an old engineer in my area that worked for JBL, and Altec and in his years he probably outfitted all the local theatres back in the day with speakers he would build. He had so many templates for folded horn speakers in his basement. Well over 200 and he was a genious. He built the pair I use to have using some rosewood veneer. They were gorgeous. I always wondered why they were so hard to move around. When I crated them up the shipping weight for the pair was 960 lbs. :rofl:
 I have some photos around here of the building process of the speakers. A work of art to say the least. It took him almost 9 months to build .

Bill,
That's pretty exciting stuff (folded horns with Tannoy drivers)! Mine are 12" Monitor Golds in Custom Built Cabinets by MusicSeeker. The gentleman (David Meraner) who designed the custom cabinets is a rocket scientist engineer who is in his late eighties now. He actually has measured data from my actual rubber surround drivers (see http://44bx.com/tannoy/Tannoy_ts.html#anchor49307). He also measured the bass response down to 26 Hz (with 12" drivers) in those enclosurers... that's what I was told... I'm currently limited by the size of the room (not big enough)... here's a couple pics of the Tannoy's (about 300lbs each - ~ size of a Klipsch Cornwall) & other stuff ... http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/view.mpl?UserImages=7549

Come on over for a listen  :beer:,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »
Thanks for the invite. Where do you live?
 Nice photos, I just sold my Khorns about 2 years ago. They were being used in our computer room and I found they were just sitting here being unused and one of my customers offered to buy them so I let them go. I wish I hadn't as I'm now using some vintage University cornerhorns upstairs although they don't have to be used in the corners. I believe the speaker was called a C6 and in 1958 before stereo this was sold for $538 which was a lot of money back then. They have a nice tone but the Khorns were more dynamic.

I just posted some photos of my main room in the gallery here although the photos are almost 2 years old and I have made some changes, now using a Tom Tutay Transition Audio design 12SN7 based preamp with some Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps :drool: seperate power supply using 6X5 rectifier.
 The speakers in the photos are the best I have ever owned. They incorporate the TAD 1601A woofers for the bottom end with a JBL2470 Martinelli version for the mid and a JBL 2404 for the tweet. Very dynamic, I guess I'm just a horny kind of guy :lol:

BTW, your Loesch preamp has some beautiful layout work
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »
Thanks for the invite. Where do you live?
 Nice photos, I just sold my Khorns about 2 years ago. They were being used in our computer room and I found they were just sitting here being unused and one of my customers offered to buy them so I let them go. I wish I hadn't as I'm now using some vintage University cornerhorns upstairs although they don't have to be used in the corners. I believe the speaker was called a C6 and in 1958 before stereo this was sold for $538 which was a lot of money back then. They have a nice tone but the Khorns were more dynamic.

I just posted some photos of my main room in the gallery here although the photos are almost 2 years old and I have made some changes, now using a Tom Tutay Transition Audio design 12SN7 based preamp with some Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps :drool: seperate power supply using 6X5 rectifier.
 The speakers in the photos are the best I have ever owned. They incorporate the TAD 1601A woofers for the bottom end with a JBL2470 Martinelli version for the mid and a JBL 2404 for the tweet. Very dynamic, I guess I'm just a horny kind of guy :lol:

BTW, your Loesch preamp has some beautiful layout work

Bill,
I'm located on the South Shore of Long Island (pronounced as one word: "lungisland") in Nassau County... come on over!... my photos in the gallery are old too... I have my equipment in a very solid Salamander 30 series Audio rack now, I put cathedral ceilings in my living room (listening room) with a 12 ft. peak (to let the K-horns breathe) and have a dedicated 20 amp service (with top secret 10 awg wire) to feed my flea power with Hubbel industrial 5362 outlets. System is dead silent at idle & scares the pants off ya when I put on a dynamic song! I put quite a few tweaks into the K-horns as well... nothing earth shattering but they ended up very musical IMHO...

Your main room is awesome... you do not get better new drivers than those Technical Audio Devices (TAD)!...and your JBL drivers must be scary good!!! I love good horns & I think nothing could change that for me. I very recently heard the new Maggie 3.6's with the brand new, top of the line, tube driven Audio Research gear. Yes, it was nice, very musical BUT I believe I would get bored with the sound after awhile. Good horns really take you there (aka Live Music)!

As far as my Loesch preamp, my buddy John Wiesner does not hand-build them anymore (too labor intensive with point-to-point wiring). I lucked out and bought the last one he made, his own personal one... to get a new one sanctioned by Art Loesch, you'll have to go to http://www.tempoelectric.com/preamp.htm, much quicker build time with circuit boards...

Take care,
Pete

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »
 Me too me too. Hey so when is the get together.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »
ok Pete, this is scary as I have the Well Tempered Reference for my vinyl. I would love to hear your system. Our taste's are very similar it would seem. If your ever in the Chicagoland area an open invitation is extended. :thumb:
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
ok Pete, this is scary as I have the Well Tempered Reference for my vinyl. I would love to hear your system. Our taste's are very similar it would seem. If your ever in the Chicagoland area an open invitation is extended. :thumb:

Bill,
Sounds great!  :thumb: Was in Chicagoland awhile back (~10 yrs ago). Loved it! Went with a "local" to Kingstown Mines, a local blues club to see Live Blues. Jimmy Withersbee played live with a "wireless" electric guitar! Came and sat at our table while playing the blues...never will forget that experience! A whole bunch of other blues acts took place... you had to get up & go to the next bar / stage to hear each act! What a blast! Love the blues!

Pete

Sir Charles - when are you coming over? You know the deal this time of year... only coached 3 basketball games today between the Jets game, J-E-T-S...Jets, Jets, Jets! One more game tonight at 7:30 PM...  :)

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS