Author Topic: Just put Vcaps in my pre! WOW!  (Read 19517 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Just put Vcaps in my pre! WOW!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 08:16:31 AM »

Emotive Audio Sira preamp

No date yet for March Rave, I hope I can come up. Thanks for the invite Syndrome.

The best coupling caps I have used so far are the Jantzen Superiors, break in was easy, price is moderate. But they are no teflon.

shep

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 08:43:38 AM »
Jentzen superior S my favorite too Rich. Very even handed and not expensive. Sure there is seriously better but the prices go up accordingly. Just for the fun of it, I priced two Deulands for my speakers...600$! I paid about 70 for the Jentzen.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 08:52:33 AM »
Duelunds are interesting, nobody I know has taken the plunge, yet...

shep

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »
It's a big plunge! Are they worth it? probably and if you have very deep pockets. In the same league as kitting out an amp with Treasure tubes.

Deton Nation

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 10:39:17 AM »
VCaps Suck!
:)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 02:01:42 PM »
Is "" in V-cap for Vampire ? As in money sucking or just sucking ?  :rofl:  :duh

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »
It's a big plunge! Are they worth it? probably and if you have very deep pockets. In the same league as kitting out an amp with Treasure tubes.

Not that deep Shep. Replaced two .47 and two .1 V-caps in my Amps . Very happy with the results over Auri caps. Some things are just worth the money sometimes. In this case and you guys know me about bang for the buck they deliver everything I read they would. It was like buying new mono blocks for a lot less money.  Took a shot not knowing the result in my amps and not disappointed one iota.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »
I am a big lover of teflons and have tried them in a number of places. Yeah, they are pretty special, but they don't work equally well everywhere. They must be used appropriately, just like any other type of cap. They are great in my preamp as a coupling cap (in and out) and they work great bypassing caps in my speakers tweeter crossover. They also worked well as cap bypasses in my phono stage.

But they didn't work on my mid/bass drivers crossover (too much energy coming through screwed it up), and they didn't work by themselves in my setp up device, where a single .1uF cap is needed. The balance there was too much toward the top end and lean sounding over a Sonicap II, which has a nice rounded tone and extension as well.

Enjoy,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 12:12:04 PM »
Is "" in V-cap for Vampire ? As in money sucking or just sucking ?  :rofl:  :duh

charles

I'm sure you're just goofing Charles but just incase you really don't know what the V stands for, it's for the cap's developer, Chris VenHaus of VH Audio.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 08:29:40 AM »

charles

I'm sure you're just goofing Charles but just in case you really don't know what the V stands for, it's for the cap's developer, Chris VenHaus of VH Audio.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Having some fun Robin. Bob good call. As coupling caps that's where they shine. A major improvement over the Auri caps that were standard in the amp.

charles

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 07:33:53 AM »
Just curious... what were the original caps the OEM had in there? Why didn't the manufacturer (Emotive Audio) use V-caps?

How will the preamp measure with the new caps?

Did the preamp sound bad with the original design? Just curious....

Hey topround - nice to listen with you at AudioDen & nice to partake with you at John Harvard's BrewHouse last Saturday!

Hope your son's tube amp kit works out... Don't let him give up (remember Edison's 99% perspiration & 1 % inspiration)

Happy New Year,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
Pete,
The original caps were motor run caps, and they sounded really nice. The Vcaps were(are) an upgrade. He did not install them initially because they are so expensive(750$) .
I was looking for a little more openess and air. The Vcaps do that, and so much more. Very happy with the upgrade, also installed some Vampire Gold over copper RCA jacks and some WBT Nextgen Silver RCA jacks.
This was not a random choice of caps, the designer knew what these caps would do and uses them extensively in his more high end gear. Very happy I did it.

Great to hang with the LI boys as well!! Great beer, cute waitress, not a great waitress, but she was easy on the eyes.
Sorry I missed the 2nd showing of the ARC gear, would love to have heard an A/B again.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »
The V Caps are very special, I use them in my EL156 monoblocks, expensive but in the right circuit they do everything better then the others I have tried.

Triode Pete, Have you tried any other 12AU7's in your DAC? The reason I ask is in our MiniMax preamp they sounded ok but when I threw them into our monoblocks they were horrible.Just a suggestion but you might want to try some Raytheon blackplate square or D shaped getters in there. Yes, I do consider myself an authority on 12au7's. :rofl:
Happy New Year
Or if your looking for a little warmth with killer vocals and body to wood instruments I highly recommend the RCA blackplates 1950's vintage, sometimes they can be over the top though on an already warm system but seductive is the tone.
 Peace to All,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

lonewolfny42

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 10:16:59 PM »
Mike....

Did you get to hear Pete's system ? It's VERY NICE !!! :thumb:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 03:39:52 AM »
Chris,
No not yet.
I guess I have something to look foward to. :thumb:
Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.