Author Topic: Muscle Amp Suggestions  (Read 27401 times)

miklorsmith

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:19:24 AM »
OK, not Big Muscle, say 100 - 200 wpc, non-Class D.

This would be a reference amp for non-hi-efficiency speaker evaluations.  I would like it to be of an accepted/proven design, by a prominent manufacturer, used.

Price could be flexible - If I found the perfect match I could see going to $2k (am I nuts?).  The purchase won't be immediate as I have other, more pressing needs that I already can't afford.  But, I like to have my cue out a ways.   :D

WEEZ

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 09:21:04 AM »
I'll 'opine' on this one :lol: ...but I'll stay away from brand names.. :wink:

Look for universal 'compatibility'. By that, I mean, the amp should be comfortable with low impedence loads (in case you review a 'difficult' speaker); the amp should have a usefully high input impedence (in case you're using certain tubed preamps with high output impedence(s); and the amp should be as tonally neutral as possible...the real trick :P  :!:

WEEZ

miklorsmith

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 09:36:37 AM »
Why stay away from brand names?  Carl suggested a Pass Labs X150 (great pick, btw).  I'm not so "up" on this category so any help is appreciated.

Thanks though, those are good tips.

Mike

lonewolfny42

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:16:34 AM »
Tubes or SS ?
I'd go SS....tubes do change over time, SS is steady.....and steady is what you need for reviews....IMO

Hey Don....Come on, what's your pick ? O'pine a little....:wink:

miklorsmith

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:22:44 AM »
For my purposes, SS definitely.  If I can be dissuaded from my hi-eff leanings, maybe a big tubey would be in my future.  I wouldn't hold my breath though.

lonewolfny42

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:32:57 AM »
Quote from: "miklorsmith"
For my purposes, SS definitely.  If I can be dissuaded from my hi-eff leanings, maybe a big tubey would be in my future.  I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Having all three...tubes, SS, Digital, would be perfect....a nice variety. 8)

WEEZ

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 10:33:16 AM »
Mike, how big is the listening room?

miklorsmith

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 10:46:19 AM »
Basement room, concrete floor with heavy padding and carpet on the floor, 26X17X9, but acoustically bigger than that.  It has a stairwell next to the left speaker, a closet on the left wall, and a bathroom and large bedroom off the rear wall.  The room is pretty well treated (though not "pretty"  :D )  Overall, the room is very nice but HUNGRY in the bass.

The listening spot is a little less than halfway into the room.

WEEZ

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 11:06:27 AM »
Well, since Chris coaxed me a little :shock: ....

8-[

Of all the amplifiers 1) that I have heard; and 2) that fall within the criterea I mentioned above; and 3) are all solid state, (not hybrid)..I would consider McCormack or Belles (Power Modules).

WEEZ

Black Sand Cable

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 11:33:40 AM »
Although they normally don't get mentioned in "High End" audio discussions, I'm a huge fan of Parasound. I have owned amps that cost 2 and 3 times what the average Parasound is worth.....and I always go back to Parasound.

Great power, high current, built well, designed well (John Curl) and a great company to deal with.

I currently own three - HCA-1500A's and one HCA-1000A and it would take one hell of an amp to make me ditch the HCA-1500A's and like I said I have tried my fair share.

So my two cents, take a look at the HALO A 21 as it just might surprise you. If you can free up some more cash, look at the HALO JC1 mono blocks. At 400W into 8ohms, power will not be a problem with the JC1's!

Black Sand Cable

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »
I forgot to mention one thing and that is there is actually one amp out there at the moment that has me intrigued but isn't yet available.

Which one you ask? Many moons ago Bill from Morningstar Audio informed me about some mono blocks that EE has coming down the pipe. I'm not normally a fan of mono amps (I have run my Parasound HCA-1500A's as 630W mono blocks and didn't like it...at all)  but these have me intrigued and if the price is right I may just try them out.

I'm also a fan of Butler Audio and have been after two - TDB-5150's but I don't have $6590.00 just laying around! Why two you ask? I'm a fan of vertical bi-amping and have done it for years.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 12:10:12 PM »
Simaudio W-5
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Double Ugly

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »
I really like WEEZ's suggestion (Belles), but if you want to stay away from brand names, I recommend trying a pair of Klaus' extreme monos.  

If you really want to go the extra mile, try to find a pair of BEL 1001 MkVs and run 'em in bridged-mono.  They're near the top of the SS heap, or so I'm told.

Regardless, I think any of the above will satisfy your need for quality SS amplification.

miklorsmith

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
Actually, I'm trying to lean toward brand names that people are more likely to know/respect.

lonewolfny42

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »
Quote from: "miklorsmith"
Actually, I'm trying to lean toward brand names that people are more likely to know/respect.
Good....the more that they can relate to the equipment the better. :wink: