Author Topic: ICE is nice  (Read 21145 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: ICE is nice
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 09:16:47 AM »
John has posted about the w4s stuff a couple times:
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1525.msg15071#msg15071
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=934.msg14204#msg14204
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1119.msg12418#msg12418

The latest W4S amps coming out now are supposedly a new signature or reference level design with improved sound over the previous batch that was so popular. This according to Cullen's rebut to the TAS Bel Canto/W4S comparison from last year.
http://www.avguide.com/review/tested-wyred-4-sound-sx-1000-and-bel-canto-ref-1000-mk-ii-monoblocks

shep

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
I think this is a very fair review http://www.avguide.com/review/tested-wyred-4-sound-sx-1000-and-bel-canto-ref-1000-mk-ii-monoblocks. I will concur about the truncated sound stage, although I had put this down to the speakers, the room or both. I don't hear the "dust" but my system may not be up to that level of definition. The integrated should push this all to a higher level since it has the built in pre, which is supposed to be so good and may address some of these short-comings.
I hope John will chime in at some point. It's worth remembering that we're talking less than half the price of the Belcanto, with full-function pre. Jeez I sound like a sales person for Wyred! and I don't even own one.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:17:04 PM by shep »

Phil

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
Reviews would be more enjoyable to read if other reviewers were as objective (or at least conscious of their own subjectivity) as that reviewer.  Nicely done.

It would be interesting if he compared the latest Nuforce V3se with the Belcanto.  I wonder if it is just a matter of time before someone will move the class D very close to other designs, or if there if an intrinsic sound that can't be overcome. 

I had a PS audio chip amp long ago and it did have qualities that I liked (it did sound cool rather than warm but sounded like a clear, cool stream).  Still, I joined the tube lovers society in the end.  Might be interesting to test a newer version class D amp in my current system.  Always teaches something about the current setup. 

vman71

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 07:02:36 AM »
I took a chance on a custom Stan Warren chip amp and loved it.  I loved it so much, I bought a second (slightly different) custom Stan Warren chip amp and a pair of ICE-based custom Audio Magic amps.

They are outstanding amps and compare favorably to my John Hogan 6sn7/76/300B SET amp.

I think it really boils down to the design and implementation.  I love my SET amp, it is amazing.  However, Stan's custom chip amps are amazing as well.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 07:18:14 AM »
vman, superphon.com is dead. Do you have a link to Stan's site?
Thanks

vman71

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 10:49:37 AM »
I've got Stan's email and phone number.  Would you like for me to email or call him to ask if I can give you his information?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
No thanks vman, just curious what he is selling and details about the amp.

What convinced you to buy the amp? How did you learn about it? Is it class D like tripath chip amp? Or gainclone linear amp like National Overture series (3886, etc)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »
Nuforce SE v3s on there way back to me. Should be back in my system in less than a week!
Cant wait.
M

Mike, I saw this preview today:
http://www.avguide.com/blog/first-listen-nuforce-reference-9-v3-special-edition-monoblock-amplifiers

How do you likey?

shep

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 09:19:05 AM »
I am still waiting patiently for John to come in and give his impressions of ther Wyred Integrated!

Deton Nation

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 09:35:54 AM »
The Nuforce SE v3s are very nice indeed. A definite step up from the V2. Its strange but true, there is a definite theme amongst the upgraders that Ive read so far. A deeper & wider sound stage with sound that envelopes you. More detail in the lower midrange, bass is punchier, tighter. The soundscape is more integrated as one, perhaps theyve remedied the tip up of the high frequencies and now it is more cohesive. They are still breaking in, maybe I have about 100 hours on them, but am enjoying them a lot.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »
Awesome! Sounds like the upgrade was worth the investment.

Offline laserman

• Seeking Help
  • Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »
I auditioned a new pair of Nuforce amps about 2 years ago and had issues with RFI interference with my turner, so I returned them.

Does anyone know if this issue has been corrected/fixed in the v3 model?

Lou
A musically satisfying system is 50% the components and 50% you.  Until you have a handle on your own "inner sensibilities to sound and music," you are only dealing with half of the equation.

Deton Nation

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »
I thought they fixed that with an update in Version 1. I havent noticed any RF interference, though my cables are unshielded and when my phone is near the stereo it goes through the speakers...
Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
I get the sound with my tube amps and car stereo if the phone is near.

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »
I think this has been touched upon before but the biggest qualm people seem to have with D amp technology is this sense of lack of palpability in the midrange, some of the English flathearthers called it  lack of "grunt" and I perceive it more like a real sense of "hollowness" that relies on massive number of watts that is accompanied with efficiency.  I call it "hollow watts" as some of these especially switching power supply versions of D amps can muster couple of Kwatts at some levels but really cannot phantom below 2 watts. 

From all these makers of D amps out there with the many types of modules used, the only one that I can think of that seems to have found some sense of grunt and real power where is counts seem to be Henry Ho of H2O audio.  The biggest difference between his creations and those of other people, he seems to think that standard, analogue grossly overbuilt power supplies CANNOT be easily replaced.

There is no other manufacturer that to me seems to have gotten this challenge of making really good sounding D amps that can run neck to neck and even surpass a standard bear of Class AB amp.  There are many defenders of these D amps, but the numbers of what their owners think about them is seen in the number of D amps that have gotten RAVE reviews across the NET and yet, wind up like dead/poisoned fish on the shores of Audiogon.  #1 brand that seems to be overrated Bel Canto, even NuForce is there.

The affordable Tripath based amps that are low powered (anything below 100 watts) are affordable enough but not one of them seems to have tempted me into pulling the trigger. 

Going back to the different ways of executing a D module to sound really really good, the real way of doing it is expensive and quite heavy.  No escaping it. 

BTW, anyone thinking about selling their Class A.2 Pass Laboratories creations on the X range for 15% of their original price because they have found the latest and the greatest in a D amp, ping me ASAP!