Author Topic: LFD NCSE amplifier  (Read 17783 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
LFD NCSE amplifier
« on: August 28, 2009, 06:32:55 AM »
I heard the LFD at Shane's last night, it is a great amp. I can understand now why "Sam Tellig" said that it's little brother is the best sounding amp, tube or SS that he ever heard.

http://www.generubinaudio.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/lfd.pdf
http://www.tonepublications.com/gear/lfds-latest-amplifier/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:41:20 AM by richidoo »

lonewolfny42

LFD NCSE amplifier
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:58:09 AM »
I heard the LFD at Shane's last night, it is a great amp. I can understand now why "Sam Tellig" said that it's little brother is the best sounding amp, tube or SS that he ever heard.

http://www.generubinaudio.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/lfd.pdf
http://www.tonepublications.com/gear/lfds-latest-amplifier/

How so Rich....what impressed you about the LFD NCSE Integrated Amp ? Thanks... :D

Offline richidoo

LFD NCSE amplifier
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:44:37 AM »
It was brand new at first, but loosened up dramatically after a couple hours.    It has a big clear, relaxed presentation, tonally balanced, ballsy firm bass, clear mids and highs, no noticeable distortion at all on the highs. It is the only SS amp I've heard to be totally free of treble artifacts, but the oversampling Oracle DAC has a slightly aggressive signature sound that is easily hear through any amp, so I look forward to giving the LFD a thorough audition on the Ushers to know for sure that the highs are as good as it seems. No doubt the amp will continue to get better for a few more hours.

But the best part about the amp is not the sound. It's the feeling. The music comes alive, there's a real person playing the music, the intent of the composer, the feeling of the performer are much more easily felt, than on the comparison amps last night, Belles 30W classA and Manley Neo 300B 22W classA.  The LFD has a feeling of being a solid chunk or iron, so balanced and truthful, the others have obvious personalities that sound like amps.

The LFD is less resolving than the Belles, and less warm than the 300Bs. More dynamic than both. But within a minute to adjust to the swap to LFD, the focus on the music becomes more intense, relaxation into the music is easy and fast. The other two take 30 minutes to get to temp before they relax and do their best. The LFD has the basic sonic character in place from first turn on, but it does improve some when warmed up. But all of that is during break in, so who knows. The LFD gives a very real, palpable, organic, dense tone feeling. Combined with great midbass detail it is very satisfying the listen to.  That's probably the overlying impression, satisfying.

All three amps sounded good on the Harbeths, they make anything sound good. But the more powerful LFD took better control of the bass, while not emphasizing it as did Belles.  The 300Bs sound a lot better on my easier Ushers than on the Harbeths due to the power limitations. But Ushers are very demanding of amps, but 300Bs might be overkill in the love department, so the LFD is intriguing to me. I hope it sounds as good when the Ushers drop its drawers. Still, $7,500 is out of my budget. Intro price is $6k. It's probably worth it, time will tell. But no remote is a deal breaker for some people. Logic level electronics seem to be the weakness of so many analog genius designers. It is a completely different discipline, but more necessary now than ever.

Hmmmm what else? It is small, like a 75W integrated! Euro hifi all the way. Nice build quality, beautiful dark gray color with a touch of brown in it, or olive. Very pretty. Knobs feel nice.  Stays cool. Inputs and speaker posts are jammed close together, but I don't think there was much trouble using them.

lonewolfny42

Re: LFD NCSE amplifier
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:02:22 AM »
Thanks Rich..... :beer:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:24:37 AM by lonewolfny42 »

shep

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »
Nice...I remember when these first came out and made a stir. Along the lines of pricey, highly developed little integrateds, there are two that have always been on my wish list: Lavarden and Etalon. The former is supposed to be ridiculously good (and not just because it's French!). Anybody ever heard either of these?

bacobits

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 06:48:39 AM »
I was going to say the same thing. The Lavarden and the LFT I would love to hear.
Both big $$$ for an integrated but supposed to be well worth it. I have not heard great Solid State unless it was separates and that was at Spudco's a few months ago. That was Pass equipment and superb!

D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »
I have heard of Lavarden, but not Etalon.

The LFD leaves a strong impression. I can't wait to hear it again, see if it is as good as I am imagining/remembering.

shep

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:21:54 PM »
According to Lavarden (and I assume LFT to a similar degree) the magic is achieved in the details. You can make the most humble parts ard circuitry sing by how you place them and connect them. This is radically different from the more-is-better approach. 

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 08:19:22 AM »
Get it while it's hot, LFD MK I all the way from Australia for $1175 ...

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1256780022&/LFD-le-mk-1-%28i-think%29-Integrat
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 11:25:49 AM »
Good find Tom... That one also has dual speaker outs for biwiring.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »
that one on audiogon is 240V... says so in the ad and the seller reminds folks that you'll need a 240V line or transfomer to be able to use here in the US...

Amp hasn't changed at all in the last couple days... It pretty much was the same from 24 hours on... I've been running it 24/7 just in case.... stone cold even after running non-stop... pure class A this is not...

this doesn't sound like hifi... it's got all the things you look for in hifi... imaging is stellar, the big Harbeth's completely disappear and the soundstage extends beyond the outside of the speakers and has more front to back depth than anything I've played on them save for the Butler Monads.  It's balanced from top to bottom... it's got the grunt of the Monads, as well as their size and scale.  But it has got emotion and doesn't focus on hyper detail or resolution or neutrality at the expense of the music... this is turn your brain off and just enjoy the darn music kind of amp... you don't focus on flaws as much as you bob your head and tap your foot to the music and forget to be critical because it sounds so darn good...

The lack of remote volume is driving me batty... I've got to find a solution to this as there is no way I can live without remote volume... I just can't do it given the wild variation in gain between my music collection... that's the only knock I've got against the amp at the moment... it is an absolutely perfect mate to the Harbeth Monitor 40.1s.... 

It's close enough in performance to the Butler Monads that I'm considering letting them go... The Butlers are still better no question, have more power, will drive more speakers, etc.  But they are quite a bit pricier than this unit, require a seperate preamp (thereby driving up the price even more), need two power cords instead of one, take up a lot more space in the rack, etc. etc. etc.   I'm not going to sell nearly as many Monads at $19K MSRP as I am this amp and its little brother...  given my current mix of products, unless I want to hear the all out balls to the wall best, the Monads are just the odd man out at the moment... They also highlight the bass issue in my room moreso than any of the other pieces.  That I'm even considering giving up my Monads should be indication to folks of the praise that this integrated is worthy of receiving...

I ordered its little brother to use in the other room with the Harbeth Compact 7s.... it should be here for the audio get together on the 12th... so a comparison can be made between the two units later that evening if enough folks are interested...

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 07:46:29 PM »
A long stick and some velcro? Or do what I do, hire small children. Pay them with room and board. My problem is that every week the volume control looks different.

LFD zero will be interesting to compare. Thanks for the update

shep

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 11:38:09 PM »
Getting up and changing the vol. is good excercize! I'm trying to visualize the velcro and a stick.  :duh
What about vol. on the cdp? Small children can not be trusted with buttons of any description. That Aussie one would fit nicely into my collection of insanity but I don't think it's going to happen.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 06:45:52 AM »
You take a long stick, put velcro A on one end. Put velcro B on the volume knob. Stick the velcros together. Place other end of long stick on couch. Do not invite the wife.

You have a collection of insane Aussie children?

shep

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »
 :shock: oh no, the secret's out  :shock: I woulnd't tell your other half about the long stick and velcro (she will have a good excuse to have you committed) if you don't mention...