Author Topic: ICE is still nice  (Read 12149 times)

shep

Re: ICE is still nice
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 04:12:25 AM »
That's what it is, Strathmore. I since moved the amp down onto a thick piece if elm wood. Don't want to bum you out, but I pay 400$ a month and have 5 rooms plus a 15th century tower I don't even use. Well hell, you guys get to party with each other and make yourselves pleasantly neurotic so I get my little country perks! The amp seems to have settled down now. I'm still not entirely happy (duhh) but I am pretty sure this has to do with the speaker wire. The amp has BIG balls now. It really would stand up and be counted amongst your various monsters. On the subject of small can be beautiful, I am itching to order a MiniWatt tube amp. I've been reading forums (there are only two places really at the moment: AC has a thread as does the bunch from Hornshop). The rep. in HK is addressing quality control and bending slightly to pressure to do some minor upgrading. I haven't had a tube amp in 30 years. It's so cute! I am having a hard time resisting...recognize the symptoms y'all???

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »
Hey Shep that is a steal where I come from. A tower? Cool. So is the Ice amp a bit cool sounding ? Speaker cables may add some body but a tubed Pre should make nice with the Ice.
   I cannot put my finger on the gents name but some time ago he recommended using album covers, a ream of paper and other various paper cardboard solutions. To my surprise the old albums [ 6 stacked with LPs still inside] were quite affective at isolating the CDP. Go figure. I tried using a ream of paper on top and bottom of CDP. it worked fine. Not until I bought some Sound Fusion footers and EMF/ weight did the paper retire. The Lector has a midbass emphasis if not isolated properly. The paper and album covers worked just not as effectively as the Sound Fusion footers. 

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »
Yes that tip came from someone on AC a while back. I used it too. No the ICE amp is not cool sounding, despite the name. It is very organic and doesn't sound either like SS or tubes or anything like Tripath chip amps. Hard to define really. No offence to anyobe using Belcanto, but I suspect the Wyred (Cullen) amps are the very best use of this technology (but then I would be prejudiced). In total my version has cost me about 800$ and I doubt if here is an SS amp in the price class that can touch it. Tubes are a while nuther matter though. Being as mine is a purist design, there is no possibility of putting a pre. anything in front of it. It's an integrated, with one set of RCA's in and spkr posts out. I really don't want to try anything except speaker cables and I'm waiting patiently for something to happen here in a group buy. I simply can't afford and where I live , the nearest decent Hi-fi salon is a two hour drive and anyway the French are serious gougers when it comes to pricing and have not much selection. I am very pleased with the work done by Cullen and recomment them unreservedly for anyone who has an ICE amp.

shep

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 03:40:10 PM »
I was impressed by my "new" amp, pleased at it's transformation but I wasn't in love with it until...I was listening to some Ricky Lee Jones (Geffen) tonight, with the pot turned up high and I realized something was going on,;something very intense (it's called music!). I was listening farther into it and enjoying revisiting an album that had not tuned me on before. All sorts of things were going on all over the place (good recording) and I listened from beginning to end without any criticism going on in my head. I still can't understand half of what she is singing...I love her but she has terrible diction! So at around 300 hours this little amp has reached its sweet spot, is playing in the comfort zone and making a hell of a job pretending to be a big, ballsy, hi-fa-looting, music machine. Good gracious, talk about detail and sound-staging and all the rest. I'm speechless. (well not quite) I still can't make out where to place this. It's not tubes and it's not your usual solid state. It certainly sounds nothing like the Tripath chip amps I've had. Anyway this one is a keeper and I think some better cables are going to take it even further. I have heard negative comments about ICE-based amps and they certainly don't apply to mine. I got lucky. I have a really high-class vol. control and obviously Cullens have some magic circuitry. I have had a lot of amps over the years, some good, some bad, and I'm pretty sure this is the best I've ever owned. I can't write a detailed review and anyway there's no point since this is a one-off piece. Voila, verr nice indeed.