Author Topic: Audible Illusions Modulus 2B  (Read 19484 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Audible Illusions Modulus 2B
« on: September 27, 2008, 07:39:07 AM »
 I just purchased a Circa 1987 Modulus 2B full function preamplifier from Echo Audio.I dont have it yet and its due here thursday. I was wondering if anyone here has any input on this particular preamp ? It is a dual mono unit with a tube phono stage, dual volume pots and a single gain stage. Are these Preamps as hard on tubes as the Modulus 3A ? Audible Illusions with some reservations recommends JJ E88CCs if they are matched and balanced and tested for noise and microphonics.I bought a quad of these from Eurotubes and they should arrive here about the same time as the Modulus 2B.I am keeping my fingers crossed  :D thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Audible Illusions Modulus 2B
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 07:50:28 AM »
Hi Bunky,
I found this review. http://www.audibleillusions.com/reviews/IAR1988_M2B.htm
I skimmed it, there is some talk about tube life.

Sounds like a nice preamp..
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 06:00:14 PM »
I had an AI 2d about 6 years ago.. I even wrote a little review about it here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rprea&1027541416&read&3&4&

It was modified by someone, can't remember who.  At the time, I considered it a great preamp.  I'd have to re-compare to see if that's the case.  It did burn through tubes faster than it should've, tough.. and I think the mods on my particular unit may have run the voltage too high, causing the problem. 

Hopefully Allen can chime in with more comments, he still uses the AI 2d.. and probably knows more about the 2b... I can't deal with 2 volume knobs, though. ;)

Hope it sounds at least as good as mine. :)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 05:49:26 AM »
I had an AI 2d about 6 years ago.. I even wrote a little review about it here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rprea&1027541416&read&3&4&

It was modified by someone, can't remember who.  At the time, I considered it a great preamp.  I'd have to re-compare to see if that's the case.  It did burn through tubes faster than it should've, tough.. and I think the mods on my particular unit may have run the voltage too high, causing the problem. 
Hey Carl
Hopefully Allen can chime in with more comments, he still uses the AI 2d.. and probably knows more about the 2b... I can't deal with 2 volume knobs, though. ;)

Hope it sounds at least as good as mine. :)

-C
Hey Carl,Its good to be back here and posting again  :D  I really seem to prefer Clean/ Neutral sounding tube preamplifiers and cool guy that he is Mike Galusha sent me a Music Hall MMF 5.1 with a Grado platinum cartridge to help me get a system together after my house burned down.Audible Illusions have always had a good reputation for sound quality so i figured i would try one out.I have always owned tube linestages but i figured now that i have a turntable that getting a preamp with a tube phono section might be a good idea :idea: I might replace the caps in the Signal path of the linestage with M-cap silver in oil's or something similar just to see what happens.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Bunky

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 05:52:09 AM »
Oh' by the way whos Allen ?  :duh
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:36:57 AM »
The AI's are known for their good phonostage so, you picked a winner for the MMF 5.1.  That's a great match and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  I recommend a high output moving coil in that setup.

Allen is a great friend that posts here everyone once in a while that has more experience with the AI gear than me. 

Glad things are coming together for you! :) :)

-Carl

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:29:31 PM »
While I've spent more time living with an AI M2D than Carl has, I'm not sure I can say I have more experience with it. 

My 2D has faithfully sat on my shelf for nearly 20 years (oh my, how can that possibly be?) dutifully linked to a B&K St202+ and my beloved B&W 802f specials.  I have tinkered a bit with different groups of tubes, but have never so much as replaced a power cord or tweaked it one bit.  (Carl has.  See : http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rprea&1027541416&read&3&4& )

I love my preamp.  It has never given my a bit of problem and has always sounded clear, rich, substantial and warm.  Mostly it made music sound more like music than any preamp I'd used before.  Shortly after my acquisition of the M2D, two events occurred: 1) the birth of my first child and 2) my departure from the quasi-high-end audio dealership where I worked.  Parenthood and the lack of day-to-day with the toys managed to taper my interest, so I never really explored much beyond the system I've come to know and love.

Part of the fun of owning a tube preamp is the ability to try a variety of different tubes and to see how hey each affect the quality.  Carl calls the 2D "the Tube Eater," which I can neither confirm or dispute.  I have never owned another tube preamp, so I have nothing by which to compare it.  Even so, if it consumes tubes the way a car crusher consumes automobiles, the fun is in the installation and trial of the new set.  There are plenty of tubes available from a variety of sources: just type "vacuum tubes" into Google.  The challenge is finding those that are not only good sounding, but are a deal as well.

I never considered myself expert in the electronic end of audio.  My strength was in finding the best combination of equipment to achieve the desired result.  That being said, I want to caution against identifying the 2b as "dual mono."  It has independent signal paths for each channel, including the volume controls, but it has a single power supply and thus cannot be called "dual mono."  The pair of volume controls equate to having a volume and balance control, but require a little more active participation on the user's part.  A balance control can be set once and forgotten; dual volume controls require careful setting with each volume adjustment.

Speaking of volume controls, one of the changes between the 2B and 2D was an upgrade in the volume control pots.  I don't have specifics, but I have heard complaints that the 2B volume controls tended to be noisy and scratchy.  The 2D pots are firm and smooth, even after 20 years of my wife's smoking.

What device is being replaced by the 2B?

Anyway...I hope some of my rambling helps give you insight. 

Allen

Offline Bunky

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:05:54 PM »
Hey Allen,thanks for your observations as a 2D owner.The Audible illusions website shows a list of models in chronological order along with the years of manufacture and they made it appear to me as if all of the Modulus preamps from the 2A thru 3A are dual mono :? I once owned at the same time four tube preamplifiers including a Anthem pre1L-Balanced Audio Technology VK3i-Odyssey Candela and a SAS Audiolabs 10A .The 10A was a single gainstage class A dual volume pot preamplifier similar to the Audible Illusion preamplifier designs and it got me closer to the music than any of my other preamps could. I lost alot of very nice gear and nearly everything i owned in a house fire earlier this year and i am rebounding and as of just recently trying to get it all together again.thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Bunky

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »
I just came home to find the Modulus 2B and a quad of select matched and balanced JJ E88CCs had been delivered one day early  8) This 2B is in really fine shape and the dual volume pots seem to work perfectly now i need about 40 or 50 hrs to let the tubes burn in so that i can get a better idea of how it is going to sound.So far So good.thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Cool! looking forward to hearing your reaction! :)

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 04:59:15 PM »
Me too!

Offline Bunky

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 04:22:29 AM »
OK Guys,I have owned the Modulus 2B for 18 days and i am pretty happy with it so far. This morning i finally hooked up the MMF 5.1 and right now i am playing a copy of Steely Dan "Cant Buy a Thrill "which seems like a pretty good recording. i noticed that when i take the volume controls to twelve O clock and above when the music is not playing i hear what seems to be a faint tube rush sound when i am close to the loudspeakers. Is this normal ? thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 05:49:10 AM »
That was pretty normal in my experience.  Glad you're enjoying it!
-C

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »
Plus when playing vinyl there is many times more gain because of the phono stage, normal. :) Sounds like you were able to get the TT working, which makes me happy. ;)

shep

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 08:16:34 AM »
I owned the same one, same vintage! sold it to a friend. Believe it or not it is still running all these years later and I believe still on the same original tubes! good bit of gear.