Author Topic: Horneshoppe horns in the house  (Read 8026 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Horneshoppe horns in the house
« on: August 13, 2011, 06:31:21 AM »
After a couple rough days they are coming into their own!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

Re: Horneshoppe horns in the house
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 06:39:51 AM »
How many glasses of wine did you have ? I only see 1 empty glass

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:06:36 AM »
Try those Model 2's with a bra.... :rofl:

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/model2.html

evan1

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:55 AM »

evan1

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »
Chris is this your girlfriend ?

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 10:00:09 AM »
Holy comb filtering, Batman.

Hard to imagine the sound not being all phasey and weird, especially if you move your head a few inches.

But I've never heard a full range driver speaker before so maybe the "magic" is there but I just don't know it?

Good luck, Mike!

-Mike

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »
I've only heard the single version of that speaker, and it was a really good design... Price:Performance ratio was very good!  I don't see how the double-barrel approach would work either.. but if it does, it does.  Would love to hear some more from you after break in about these.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »
I think most of us have passed the performance of these in their systems on certainterms.
They have no real bass to speak of. Of course I have not played with different amps yet and positioning has to be optimized, but they have a great midrange and the highs are suprisingly good. Suprisingly I say, because I had the Cain and Cain Abbeys with the same drivers and they had no high end and nil air.
These outperform the Abbeys by a large degree.

People say I got thru a lot of gear, and I would have to say YES!, but most of it is not mine and usually on loan. I enjoy experiencing different sounds, they all have their pluses and minuses.
Single drivers do have an allure, no crossover is a big plus, plus high efficiency lets you use low power amps built for beauty rather than brute force.
Crossovers get in the way, no way out of it unfortunatley, you can hear them when you hear a single driver system, unfortunatley a single driver can't do it all either!
So pick your poison.
Some music sounds glorious on these speakers ..rock and roll well you can imagine it not working out too well.

And Mike the two drivers are not phasey at all..I listen in nearfield and the focused soundstage is pretty wide so no head in a vice here

all in all ...fun...not the answer for me...but not bad, from what I understand alot can be done to the drivers to help them perfom better, these drivers are stock and still burning in.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
I preferred the Horn's to the Abbey's also... more versatile, bigger sweetspot.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline JLM

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »
Mike,

My single driver speaker (with DEQ as the builder recommends and EnABL modifications by Bud Purvine himself) get very close to "full" range (the driver alone is rated 30 - 20,000 Hz, 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohms):

http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/FTA-2000/Main.html

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
C'mon, Mike! Those aren't man-like horns!!! You need some big honkin' horns!!! You cannot defy the laws of physics, dude!

Man-up, I say!

Here are some REAL horns for you! ... http://theaudiobeat.com/highend2011/highend2011_horns_aplenty.htm
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »
C'mon, Mike! Those aren't man-like horns!!! You need some big honkin' horns!!! You cannot defy the laws of physics, dude!

Man-up, I say!

Here are some REAL horns for you! ... http://theaudiobeat.com/highend2011/highend2011_horns_aplenty.htm

Spoken like a truely horny audiophile.  :rofl:

And what's up the the turntable pictured in that Audiobeat article? I've seen TTs with two arms before but never one that played both arms at the same time.  :-k

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
Agreed, they ain't real horns :rofl:
Single drivers will never be for me, especially these Fostex drivers, very papery sounding and a bit shouty and colored. But if you can get past that they ain't so bad. They almost pull it off, I am sure better designs come a bit closer to what I like, but then again no crossover is very appealing and being able to use beautiful sounding SET amps makes these high efficiency designs something to look at.

Having been in the company of real horns Pete is right you need big ass horns to do the trick, and when it is right there is no better!!!

Offline JLM

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 06:38:25 AM »
Mike,

The F200A in my speakers are not your typical shouty/thin sounding Fostex drivers.  Huge AlNiCo magnets provide rich tone with detail.

For horns to go this low (20's Hz range) they have to be the size of a garage and weigh tons in order to be properly braced.  That would make them much more efficient, but would introduce huge phasing issues trying to integrate with midrange/tweeter drivers.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
JLM<
Please take no offense, I am sure your Fostex drivers are way better than the ones being used in the application I have at home. I also has Cain and CAin Abbeys and they were terrible, so maybe those drivers are just not to my liking.

I never heard Brines speakers, I like the idea of a larger driver and Alnico always is the way to go, unless you go field coil! The sound of no crossover defintly appeals to me, as well as low power, so I am definetly open to a design like this that can work for me.
I tried to like the Abbeys, they were so positively reviewed over at 6 moons(which I now hold with some suspicion) but they were terrible.
The Hornshoppe horns have such a huge fanboy base that I just had to try them, I am always suspicious of fanboys!