Author Topic: Different Shades of Reality  (Read 2574 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Different Shades of Reality
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »
What do you think of this?

mgalusha

Re: Different Shades of Reality
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
I'm guessing you have listened to this...  I have this CD somewhere. No question it puts a different perspective on things. Hopefully the engineer pics a mic that come close to reproducing what is being recorded, at least for part of the range.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
I need a little more info to form an opinion.. not sure what this is.
What do you think of it?
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline RichardS

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »
This is from the Stereophile CD where as JGH speaks, the mics are continuously changed. Both the mic changes and the content are enlightening, but especially the mics. I remember the first time I heard it and thought, wow, how can one ever assess whether a system is accurate to the source when the mic used in recording has such a profound affect on the sound one hears.

And the comments about how each of us values the various strengths/ weaknesses in a component or system are right on. For example, I can overlook  a little harshness in treble (esp. as I've aged) that drive some audiophiles nuts. But I can't get past sloppy bass or a shallow and congested soundstage. To each his own... but it can take a long time and trial and error to discover one's own bias.