Author Topic: the return of the prodigal son  (Read 3231 times)

shep

the return of the prodigal son
« on: November 05, 2008, 08:13:18 AM »
still wearing his tattered Nervosa tea- shirt! :rofl:
will soon return to the fold, with tales of wonderous new treasures gleaned during his long sebatical. Just to wet your whiskers: tales of new amps. The first will be a custom built ice-module based M. MArdis special and the second will be a Tripath-based testing by yours-truly of a recent addition, which you can discover on virtueaudio.com. The how"s and why's are too long to go into. Suffice to say my association with Micheal MArdis is about to bare ripe fruit. Y'all will be the first to know. By the way this forum has sure grown since I disappeared! congrads!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: the return of the prodigal son
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »
Welcome back shep!!

Please indulge us with all the details!!

http://store.virtueaudio.com/

shep

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:44:44 AM »
Too soon for details! well I'll give y'all a little taste! How about a custom made Ice-Module based amp? Hmmm
 :shock:this is where the story took a new turn (audiomagus.com) where M. has been a consultant for a while. I don't know which amp from Virtue he will send me. Hopefully the "audiophile2" with the bigger power supply; Finally I will have enough power to drive my Dutch TL's. The first amp will incorperate some of the parts we scavanged from the last aborted project, notably the wonderful stepped resistor attenuater I sourced from Australia, which M. found significantly better than stock one. I'm waiting for the package to arrive. Nothing else has changed in my system except my battered old Marantz got some upgrading in the UK while waiting. Michel promised to send me a dac as well but I know absolutely nothing about it yet.

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:57:45 AM »
Nice Shep, it'll be good to have your cheery, fatalistic self back 'round these parts.

shep

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:15:26 AM »
Arn't cheery and fatalistic mutually antagonistic? Ahh! being a Gemini might explain that conundrum...
Well at least I wouldn't let the side down and maybe entertain you with new and exotic entries (which by the way are very affordable) if either prove as good as expected, the low-cost end of audiophilia will get another nice boost. I have moved house and the system will be set up in a very large room, totally inappropriate for my little Crafty Tl's so I don't expect miracles but I do expect wonders! Most of us can only dream of the really high-end stuff and I do have a personal commitment to finding fabulous systems that are really affordable. For those of you who haven't heard my previous rantings, there are two absolute Musts on the short list for great cheap gear. The first is the Crafty TL from Holland, which is a miraculous little speaker
(given the right amp and a lot of break-in time) the second is single strand OSCC wire, sourced in Singapore off-the-reel, for peanuts. Actually the third, albiet not cheap, for those who live in the UK or nearby (this is a shameless plug!) is to send your aged cd player(that was great in its heyday) to Brent Audio in England. My Marantz went there twice and I persuaded a friend to send a rare old Sony hi-ender to him with amazing results. Over and out

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:22:21 PM »
Welcome home, Shep.
Maybe I should do another run of tea-shirts. ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.