Author Topic: Balanced Cables?  (Read 6757 times)

miklorsmith

Balanced Cables?
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:34 AM »
I just realized my new preamplifier has a balanced input option, and my DAC can do balanced out.  I have a couple of moderately priced balanced cables I can use but I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on whether they vary quite a bit in sound or if they're more similar than different with competent construction.

I definitely have nicer RCA cables and can experiment with those as well.  But, since I can do balanced I feel I should give that a go . . .

Most of my best cables are Zu.  I sent a message off to Sean with these questions and we'll see what he thinks too.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:58:29 AM by miklorsmith »

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Balanced Cables?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:29:48 AM »
My personal experience has been that there are similar improvements moving up with XLR's as there are with RCA's. The better the cable...then more accurate the sound.

Also, I usually get more gain, and a quieter background when using balanced cables.

My cable iterations over the past year (or so) have been Harmonic Tech Pro Silway MkIII's...which were slightly bested by the Grover 'whites'...which were further bested by JPS's.

Obviously, your experience may vary  :lol:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »
That's what I was afraid of.  Dammit.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »
What, you wanted to hear all XLR's are the same?  :rofl:

I will add this note.. if your system is truly balanced and sounds better with XLR's over single ended, you have to use XLR's. 

My preamp has XLR outs but the 'balancing act' is synthesized with an integrated chip.  If I use XLR's it sounds worse than single-ended.  It's just not a balanced design... but they made a circuit for those that must have XLR. 

The XLR will be better even on cheap cables if both components are using a balanced design.  You'll likely hear the improvement, even using cheap XLR cables to compare.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 01:18:22 PM »
Sometimes you *know* the answer to something but still want to be wrong.

I'm not sure if both pieces are truly balanced but I'll give it a whirl.  I needed another pair anyway so I bought a pair of 1m Mogami microphone cables at lunch.  They're intended for the pre > EQ leg but I'll try them along with the Zu Gede on the DAC as well.

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 07:34:03 AM »
How about length?  2m vs. 1m? 

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:09:54 AM »
If your equipment is less than 1m away from each other, 1.  But if it's over 1 but less than 2m apart.. well, I'd go with a 2m.  ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline stereofool

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:30:21 AM »
If your equipment is less than 1m away from each other, 1.  But if it's over 1 but less than 2m apart.. well, I'd go with a 2m.  ;)

There's always ONE in the crowd...eh!!! :rofl: [-X :lmc:
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:35:45 AM »
Yes indeed.  So pragmatic, sure, of course.  I thought of explaining the question then thought better of it.  Now I'll reconsider that.  I'm nothing if not inconsistent.   :D

I have a 2m pair of midline Zu Gede cables, I thought they were 1m.  I bought the Mogamis at 1m thinking they'd probably end up in pre > EQ duty but also that they could trade in for the Gedes.  The Mogamis weren't expensive but they aren't cheap either, $80 a pair.  I got them instead of the much cheaper "pro" cables thinking I could have another interesting option for the source.

However, the Gedes are actually 2m and the rack actually needs that reach as currently configured between the pre and EQ.  If I keep the 1m Mogamis they'll only work for the source which seems impractical.  If I'm planning on using the new cables for the pre > EQ leg it seems silly to spend $80 for that and I should downgrade to cheapies.  

And, if I'm giving up too much with the extra meter on the Gedes I may need a dedicated 1m pair anyways though I definitely don't have $500+ to drop on an interconnect right now.  Sorry for the tail chasing.

Offline stereofool

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
Actually...one of the MAJOR strengths of balanced cables is their ability to reject 'noise' interference over long(er) cable runs. SO...you really shouldn't have to worry about having XLR's that are longer than necessary.

Hope that helps.
Steve