Author Topic: New Dual Box Modwright Pre for Me!  (Read 15548 times)

miklorsmith

New Dual Box Modwright Pre for Me!
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:23:40 AM »
Order placed some time ago, ships tomorrow!   :D :D :D

It'll be interesting to compare to the Lamm which I may keep for a while until the used market comes back around.  I might have a Wyetech in house for a demo/review as well starting September.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: New Dual Box Modwright Pre for Me!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:17:49 PM »
Oooh, you're gonna have some fun!! I hope you will share your adventures!  Is that the Moddy 36.5?
Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »
Yeah, it's the 36.5 with the outboard power supply.  The official nomenclature is LS 36.5 DM.  Combined, it might be the biggest preamp known to man.  Probably not, but it definitely takes some rack space.  Apparently Dan has a new case supplier, he said the cases are even better than before and he's got a few new tricks with the PS and linear supply too.  So, I guess it's the LS 36.5.1 DM.   :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:22:36 PM by miklorsmith »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 01:43:18 PM »
We heard a Cary SLP 05 at a Triangle Audio Society meeting.  It's a 2-box preamp... and quite large.  The remote was diminutive, though. ;)

Looking forward to the review.  Any photos or links?

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
Here's a link to Srajan's review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright4/365+.html

I was going to review the 2-box unit but it made more sense for him to do the dual since he had previously done the standard 36.5.

I might put together a "second opinion" to go along with Srajan's review, if not I'll definitely comment here.

Offline richidoo

miklorsmith

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »
Dan says he's shipping it today and it should be here tomorrow.  I'll take pix and post here this w/e.

Woot!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 08:04:36 PM »
That's a nice preamp Mike....enjoy !!! :beer:

By the way.....are you going to RMAF this year ?

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 07:38:36 AM »
Out for Delivery!!!  Three of my favorite words.   :D

RMAF is unlikely for me.  Summers are madness in the PNW, come fall my wife really wants me to be around the house.  And trust me when I say "really wants".  I have thought/talked about it a fair bit, but the timing is tough for me. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 07:41:35 AM »
Somebody's gonna leave work early today!!!
Have fun!!

Don't forget the pictures..  :drool:

miklorsmith

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 08:12:14 AM »
Don't worry, pictures will be had.  I will be leaving just a little early as well.  I have a hot date tonight with my wife tonight so I won't get as much time immediately as I'd like.  I will get everything in the rack and burning over the Isotek fire before we head out for the evening.

I talked to Dan a fair bit yesterday, what a nice fellow.  He just got back from Hong Kong and Shanghai visiting his distributors and isn't sleeping regularly yet.  But he did have time to put 30 hours or so on the unit in testing and listening to make sure everything's solid.  He said the Modwright capacitors take about 400 hours or so to fully burn in.

That reminded me of when I first got the Lamm.  The unit was used but was fresh from Lamm with a full re-cap.  For the first few days I was ready to put it back on the market but over the 10 following days things got better and better and I have enjoyed the heck out of it since. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 08:27:30 AM »
I have a hot date tonight with my wife tonight so I won't get as much time immediately as I'd like. 

A man with his priorities straight.  :rofl: 

I look forward to the day when I can sample victuals of this calibre - Lamm, and now Moddie is too - fruit of the Gods.

miklorsmith

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:35:26 AM »
You mean like the Usher Be20's?   :rofl:  Yep, you're really slummin' Rich.

My Lamm preamp can be had on Agon today for $2,400 - hardly rarified air.  It's not chump-change either but definitely a supreme value at that price.  No, I'm not trying to pitch mine.  I'll be keeping it until the prices go back up a bit.  I thought about moving it to the living room system and that would be a good "reviewer" move for me but I don't think I can justify having that much dough or such nice gear tied up in a system that doesn't ever get any critical listening.  Heck, the speakers aren't even at the same height.   :?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 08:47:34 AM »
My point is that there is always more, More, MORE!  :twisted:

We are all very fortunate to enjoy this incredible magical hobby. Ecstacy at the touch of a button!

miklorsmith

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 08:23:32 PM »
It's here and playing!  I did take a bunch of pix, I'll get them up this w/e.  Early returns are GREAT!