Author Topic: I have a tic  (Read 6024 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
I have a tic
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »
It is coming out of the left speaker, once every 30 seconds once warmed up, slower when cool. I've tried swapping and experimenting just about everything. It is not tubes. I had a ticking tube in the old Cary, so that's what I checked first. I swapped all tubes, either outright or L/R, still happens, still on left side.

I will toss this out there, but it is pretty out there... I thought I could hear it but much softer even than normal when the system was shut off, unplugged during a storm.  Happened a couple times. Tick coming from same direction as left speaker. Coulda been a coincidence, OR something is still discharging for a while after shutdown.

Could it be a resistor? I have only heard them fail as staticish sound, not ticking. Could it be a cap? Any ideas helpful. It is -40dB or less, so not a big deal except in soft passages. I wanna fix it before I move on to new gear.
Thanks!
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: I have a tic
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 04:52:58 AM »
Could be RF.. I've had my speakers pick up cell phones, cordless phones, etc.  Every once in a while your phone 'touches base' to make sure it's still available for connections.  Try turning off all RF-emitting devices and see if it goes away.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:15:33 AM »
Oh, and here's another method on 'how to remove a tic' (careful if at work)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:48:07 AM »
Could be RF..

Excellent idea! My cordless phone is 18yo from the glory days of wireless phones, I wouldn't expect it is being very respectful of RF. That would also explain why I hear it when the system is off with lightning around. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:50:09 AM by richidoo »

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »
Do you have an alarm system? Ours will tick every now and then from the horn when there is lightening in the area.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
Could be RF..

Excellent idea! My cordless phone is 18yo from the glory days of wireless phones, I wouldn't expect it is being very respectful of RF. That would also explain why I hear it when the system is off with lightning around. Thanks

Your dam phones seem to be the cause of so many problems! lol  :rofl:

When do you get the new one you ordered?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »
I installed them yesterday morning. The tic seems to have subsided. Not heard it yet today since I took out the oldie.  [-o<  here's hopin! Thanks guys!!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »
I know this isn't the tic issue you hear... but reminded me of something I noticed on my system playing the Audio PC. 

The virus scan caused a regular distortion-click sort of noise every x number of seconds during music play.  It didn't actually make its own sound, it distorted the music for a millisecond.  Once you noticed it, the system became unlistenable.  It was frustrating to figure out because if you hit pause, the problem wouldn't be there...   In any case, the virus software had to go. 

Just thought I'd add that tidbit.. or 'tic bit'. ha.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 07:23:43 AM »
That would drive me crazy, you're lucky you figured that one out!

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 10:28:40 AM »
I know this isn't the tic issue you hear... but reminded me of something I noticed on my system playing the Audio PC. 

The virus scan caused a regular distortion-click sort of noise every x number of seconds during music play.  It didn't actually make its own sound, it distorted the music for a millisecond.  Once you noticed it, the system became unlistenable.  It was frustrating to figure out because if you hit pause, the problem wouldn't be there...   In any case, the virus software had to go. 

Just thought I'd add that tidbit.. or 'tic bit'. ha.

Install NOD32. It's one of the better anti virus programs out there. It also sports a very small system footprint when running. I have run numerous scans with it while WinAmp (which is now a system hog) is playing FLAC files and have yet to have it effect the tune that was playing.

The only thing that causes me to have any issues.....is Rich's dam cordless phone.  :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »
The only thing that causes me to have any issues.....is Rich's dam cordless phone.  :rofl:

Might not help with the "issues," but maybe help you sleep better - proof of deinstallation:

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 11:09:51 PM »
 :clap:

Yeah.....the evil phone is dead!