Author Topic: Audio Room V2.0  (Read 8015 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Audio Room V2.0
« on: August 09, 2023, 08:06:09 PM »
After the water problems in my room are finally fixed, time to start fresh.

Over the last few weeks the drywall has been replaced, the walls painted, the floor and trim replaced.  As of today that is all done.

Bought a few area rugs to use in the rear of the room where my listening chair will be.

Attached before and after pictures.

I have contacted SonitusUSA about their acoustic treatment HT Ultra package after hearing it in another room and had great results.  This is the system for either audio rooms or home theater rooms.  After weeks of waiting still no real response about any timeframe for getting the products.  Their supply is getting affected by the conflict in the Ukraine.

Will start looking at GIK, Aurelex and a few others to get pricing and availability. 

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: Audio Room V2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 06:40:50 AM »
After the water problems in my room are finally fixed, time to start fresh.

Over the last few weeks the drywall has been replaced, the walls painted, the floor and trim replaced.  As of today that is all done.

Bought a few area rugs to use in the rear of the room where my listening chair will be.

Attached before and after pictures.

I have contacted SonitusUSA about their acoustic treatment HT Ultra package after hearing it in another room and had great results.  This is the system for either audio rooms or home theater rooms.  After weeks of waiting still no real response about any timeframe for getting the products.  Their supply is getting affected by the conflict in the Ukraine.

Will start looking at GIK, Aurelex and a few others to get pricing and availability.

Hi Rich (I believe I recall your true name correctly, if not, please correct me) :)

I use GIK acoustic paneling (four CT Alpha Series Corner Bass Traps 2DA, four 4A Alpha Pro Series Bass Trap Diffuser/Absorber 2DA, four 244 Bass Traps). It was relatively recent (a year and a half ago) I purchased them and had them installed. While I'm (now) very happy with the work Mike Major (their acoustician, employee) provided and the results I now have, it wasn't without incident. I spoke with owner Glenn Kuras twice, and both conversations weren't exactly pleasant.

So, look out, cause here comes some free advice (Bob Weir reference  8) :thumb:)

This advice applies specifically if you're purchasing any of their diffuser plates, whether they be attached to an absorption panel or stand-alone. First, reiterate to them that you want it packaged (which by the way you'd already be paying handsomely for) individually and with protective sleeving. Otherwise, expect some damage. If you check other forums, you'll discover this is a common occurrence with their diffuser panels.

Secondly, if aesthetics means anything to you, and with the assumption you would place them on various sides of the room, consider whether or not you want the panels "mirrored". If you do, specify that on your order. Otherwise, hypothetically, you could purchase four panels. Three would look the same, the fourth may not.

Best of luck.

Hal

p.s. if you want additional particulars, just ask.  :) Best of luck with your "new" room.  :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 06:46:18 AM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 10:27:26 AM »
By the way, I'd be remiss if I didn't point something out regarding your listening chair.

Based on the photo, it looks to me as though your head, and ears specifically, may not clear the headrest. If your ears do not fully clear the headrest, that will affect your sonic experience/presentation. And perhaps, not in an optimal way.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 10:49:20 AM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 10:51:37 AM »
GDHAL,
You have the correct name.

I have seen the plan from GIK and not very happy with their ideas of how to treat the room.  Seems counterproductive to place diffusors over top of absorbers, when all that is needed is a diffusor.  You just pay a lot more and I am sure it makes them happy. 

The SonitusUSA treatments are much reduced and makes more sense to me.

The chairs headrest is all the way down so that my head is over it.  :)

Rich

« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:00:03 AM by HAL »

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 12:08:47 PM »
I have seen the plan from GIK and not very happy with their ideas of how to treat the room.  Seems counterproductive to place diffusors over top of absorbers, when all that is needed is a diffusor.  You just pay a lot more and I am sure it makes them happy. 

:thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 12:17:29 PM »
GDHAL,
You have the correct name.

The chairs headrest is all the way down so that my head is over it.  :)

Rich

In my case, I needed both diffusion and absorption. I had an acoustician besides GIK who physically came to my place and confirmed the same.   8)

Good to know your headrest is below your head.  8)

EDIT: BTW, GIK offers diffusers only if that's all you need/want.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 12:21:51 PM by GDHAL »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 03:24:02 PM »
GDHAL,
I have an estimate coming from an acoustician to cost out measuring, modeling and coming up with a plan to acoustically treat my room.  Should have the proposal tomorrow. 

Cool thing is the acoustician already knew about HAL and had some questions about my services.  A small world.

My room will need absorption, diffusion and bass traps to correct it, even though it has very good dimensions.  First reflection point absorption on the side walls and ceiling this time.

Will see what happens.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 04:56:37 PM »
GDHAL,
I have an estimate coming from an acoustician to cost out measuring, modeling and coming up with a plan to acoustically treat my room.  Should have the proposal tomorrow. 

Cool thing is the acoustician already knew about HAL and had some questions about my services.  A small world.

My room will need absorption, diffusion and bass traps to correct it, even though it has very good dimensions.  First reflection point absorption on the side walls and ceiling this time.

Will see what happens.

Kewl!!  8) :thumb:

Small world indeed. Please keep the group informed. I sincerely hope everything meets or exceeds your expectations.  :D

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 05:50:57 PM »
GDHAL,

Will see what happens.

Attend to the corners, Rich.  90 degree intersections SUCK - out mids.  They are the single worst problem in every small room.  Pay particular attention to the four upper tri-corners where walls and ceiling intersect.  Comb filtering, honky nightmares!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 02:09:21 AM »
Attend to the corners, Rich.  90 degree intersections SUCK - out mids.  They are the single worst problem in every small room.  Pay particular attention to the four upper tri-corners where walls and ceiling intersect.  Comb filtering, honky nightmares!

Hi P.I. I'm in zip 11520. With virtually zero notice you can stop by my place. After (actually during) listening, I think you'll change your mind about 90 degree intersections suck out the mids in the corner. Bring your measurements gear too!  :rofl: 8) :rofl: 8) :thumb:

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 02:54:05 AM »
GDHAL,

Will see what happens.

And by the way Rich, my (good) advice about the mirroring of diffuser panels applies to whatever vendor you use.

At some level, aesthetics plays a role in everyone's A/V system.

Best.

Hal

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 04:30:04 AM »
GDHAL,
The Sonitus USA system I have heard is all about asymmetry in setting up acoustic materials.  Their theory is that any symmetry leads to resonances.

After hearing a room treated with their system with very good speakers installed, I would have to agree with their theory.  Having asymmetrical diffusors on opposite walls may look wrong, but acoustically was better.

Dave,
Yes, the tri-corners will all get treatments.  At 10ft up, probably not by me.  The Sonitus USA system has corner traps in all the upper corners and bass trapping for the lower corners.

Now if I could only get them to answer the question about east coast installers for their acoustic treatments I would be happy.

Should have the acoustician estimate today if things go well. 

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 06:50:54 AM »
GDHAL,
The Sonitus USA system I have heard is all about asymmetry in setting up acoustic materials.  Their theory is that any symmetry leads to resonances.

After hearing a room treated with their system with very good speakers installed, I would have to agree with their theory.  Having asymmetrical diffusors on opposite walls may look wrong, but acoustically was better.

Dave,
Yes, the tri-corners will all get treatments.  At 10ft up, probably not by me.  The Sonitus USA system has corner traps in all the upper corners and bass trapping for the lower corners.

Now if I could only get them to answer the question about east coast installers for their acoustic treatments I would be happy.

Should have the acoustician estimate today if things go well.

Rich, I humbly disagree that asymmetry has anything at all to do with resonance. And I mean ** anything **. And, I don't care if the president of the U.S. AND the pope say so. I know (for certain) so.

But, it's your space, do as you will.

If you're looking for an east coast installer, I have one. Likely the best as he does professional installs and is recommended by Bruce Clark of Audio Breakthroughs. He did my room. If you want his name and number, just ask. He works with a licensed carpenter using two laser where things are "exactly perfect" (Grateful Dead term). And I mean exact. Also uses the ** correct ** hardware to affix the materials to the wall/ceiling. Not cheap, but reasonable though IMO.

EDIT : Rich, if Sonitus USA is telling you asymmetry has something to do with resonance, please let them know that ** I ** say that so does the earth's position relative to the moon and sun at any given moment.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 06:55:55 AM by GDHAL »

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 06:59:13 AM »
.....  The Sonitus USA system has corner traps in all the upper corners and bass trapping for the lower corners.....

What's the difference between "traps" and "bass trapping"?  :duh

Sorry, Rich. I started my drinking a bit early today.  :shock:

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 12:23:41 PM »

Hi P.I. I'm in zip 11520. With virtually zero notice you can stop by my place. After (actually during) listening, I think you'll change your mind about 90 degree intersections suck out the mids in the corner. Bring your measurements gear too!  :rofl: 8) :rofl: 8) :thumb:
My mind has nothing do do with the reality and immutability of physics.

https://www.physicsclassroom.com/Physics-Interactives/Waves-and-Sound/Wave-Addition/Wave-Addition-Interactive