Author Topic: 12V Linear Power Supply for Battery Powered Preamp  (Read 7273 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
12V Linear Power Supply for Battery Powered Preamp
« on: December 09, 2015, 08:01:29 AM »
   We have two Gary Dodd battery powered preamps to use. One a single tubed 6H30 variable gain and the other a [ 4 ] tubed unit using 12BH7 tubes.
    The battery is becoming an issue charging and so on. a new bigger battery costs $200 and a PIAudio Batterry Buss $499 which adds up to a $700 investment for proper battery operation.
     Along comes the Keces DC116 regulated power supply with either two 3A outputs at 12V or one at 6A at 12V. Cost $499. Plus power cord at $300 so $800 vs $700.
     The question is has anyone tried a linear PS vs battery. I'm sure there are other options for PS as well so feel free to offer suggestions.
      This is NOT a debate on which is better as there are advantages and disadvantages for both methods. Thanks for the input.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: 12V Linear Power Supply for Battery Powered Preamp
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
I just PMed you before I saw this new thread.  But I'll post my opinion for everyone else's amusement!

I used Optima Red Top car battery with Deltran Battery Tender charger when I was using Altmann BYOB amp and Altmann Attraction DAC, both were battery powered. It worked great. The amp had plenty of current for impressive transients on my Legacy speakers, but it only made 10W into 4 ohms at clipping, so it didn't last long. But the battery system was excellent. I liked the freedom from hum, PCs, I liked playing music in the summer lightning storms every night in late spring. The car size battery lasted a long time without charging. The Battery Tender can be left on all the time and not hurt the battery, it is intended for long term storage of vehicles. It has extremely low trickle, and smart logic to charge up to 1.5A when necessary. It knows what the battery needs and automatically provides it. I still have my Battery Tender and I think about going back to all battery system again. My chip amps need +/-24VDC so I'd need 4 batteries and chargers. I could not hear the difference with charger on or off.

The red top battery is very low impedance, much lower than typical plate batteries, and quieter. It has comparable performance to a aftermarket audio regulator like Belleson or Hynes. It is sealed, can be installed upside down, no risk of leak, safe for indoor use, imo.

Since the tube preamps are class A, the current draw from any power supply will be steady, so the PS will see no music transients. So anything rated adequate current should work fine. Remember, there is a distinctly non-audiophile DC-DC step up converter inside the preamp, so don't get too crazy over the quality of 12V you are providing. You don't need upgrade power cords on the 12V supply. The PS never sees music transients because the preamp is constant current draw class A.

Your price estimates are way too high, imo. Maybe that's Long Island pricing? ;)  You can buy a 12V 6.8A frame power supply from mouser for $103. See your PM for link. Box, fuse, switch, cables should bring to $200, +$100 labor. Make sure 6.8A is enough current. A battery can deliver much more than that. If it were very efficient step up converter it should be enough, but check to be sure. If it only needs 1A then there are less expensive supplies available.

Red Top battery is at any Advance Auto for about $150-200. Battery Tender is $45 from Amazon. You hook it up, no labor.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 04:54:49 PM »
  Rich never said thanks. Thanks good info.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
 FYI both Vinnie Rossi and Wyred for Sound now offer power supplies.

charles

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
FYI both Vinnie Rossi and Wyred for Sound now offer power supplies.

charles
Yes, but from what I understand they are power supplies designed to run a component, which is very different from using something to charge a battery which will then be used to run the component with the charger disconnected. As such they are considerably more expensive that something that will just be used as a battery charger
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
 Tom really thanks so much for your input. Go back to sleep :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is exactly what I'm talking about using a linear in lieu of battery.

charles