Systemic Development > Speakers

Speaker burn in

(1/2) > >>

Emil:
 :duh
How do we as consumers of high end, expensive speakers, accept the fact that the speakers we've just purchased will not sound their best until we reach 500 hours of play? I'm following owners over at Aucdiocircle's Spatial Audio group and they seem just fine with it.
Just think. If you played music through your speakers 24 hours a day, it would take 21 days to be fully broken in and playing at their full potential.
Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying burn in is bogus. I would expect burn in to be done by the manufacturer and when they are at my home, they will play at their full potential.
So why isnt it done? I'm not picking on Spatial. Many if not all do this. Is it cost? How much could it be?

S Clark:
Years ago I remember Danny Richie showing graphs of his before and after break in.  The vast majority of change happened in the first 3 hours- mechanical break in.  Electrical is another thing altogether.  If a manufacturer pitches huge changes after 500 hours, I suspect he's simply making it harder to return an item.  Again, not saying there is nothing to it, but I'm not waiting 100 hours to evaluate gear. 

P.I.:

--- Quote from: Emil on March 10, 2022, 05:35:07 AM --- :duh
How do we as consumers of high end, expensive speakers, accept the fact that the speakers we've just purchased will not sound their best until we reach 500 hours of play? I'm following owners over at Aucdiocircle's Spatial Audio group and they seem just fine with it.
Just think. If you played music through your speakers 24 hours a day, it would take 21 days to be fully broken in and playing at their full potential.
Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying burn in is bogus. I would expect burn in to be done by the manufacturer and when they are at my home, they will play at their full potential.
So why isnt it done? I'm not picking on Spatial. Many if not all do this. Is it cost? How much could it be?

--- End quote ---
It is more a question of space.  Imagine having anywhere from 20 - 500 speakers burning in.  Then there is the cost of amplification...

Emil:

--- Quote from: P.I. on March 10, 2022, 11:08:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: Emil on March 10, 2022, 05:35:07 AM --- :duh

--- End quote ---
It is more a question of space.  Imagine having anywhere from 20 - 500 speakers burning in.  Then there is the cost of amplification...

--- End quote ---

Maybe begin to burn in speakers and crossovers prior to assembly?
Cost of amplification? No answer for that. Just need quantity. Not quality.

Spatial Audio are built to order. How many speakers from big names like Magnepan and Vandersteen build a day?

Amuse me. Just a pet peeve of mine  :lol:

rollo:
  Our Qln line requires 200 hours. We allow for break in for return. None have been returned. We use 12 hours on 12 hours off after intial 48 hr burn in.

charles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version