Systemic Development > Bipolar System Disorders

Trying to Put a Round peg in a Square Hole

(1/7) > >>

rollo:
  I see so many systems consisting of VG expensive gear improperly set up. Drives me NUTS. Speakers with ports against the wall, speakers too large, distance from walls not equal. Fireplaces, couches, furniture in the way. Glass furniture and other harmful reflective surfaces.
  I say examine room for weakness and strengths. Then purchase the right speaker for that set up. If you have to put a speaker against or close to a wall forget the ported one.
   Once a speaker is chosen then select an amp to match it. Then put the rest of your money on the best source you can afford. Fine tune it with cabling. :duh

charles

P.I.:

--- Quote from: rollo on June 09, 2021, 12:24:55 PM ---  I see so many systems consisting of VG expensive gear improperly set up. Drives me NUTS. Speakers with ports against the wall, speakers too large, distance from walls not equal. Fireplaces, couches, furniture in the way. Glass furniture and other harmful reflective surfaces.
  I say examine room for weakness and strengths. Then purchase the right speaker for that set up. If you have to put a speaker against or close to a wall forget the ported one.
   Once a speaker is chosen then select an amp to match it. Then put the rest of your money on the best source you can afford. Fine tune it with cabling. :duh

charles

--- End quote ---
What you said.  The room is an interconnect

tmazz:
I too cringe when I see a system set up in such a fashion that it cannot put it's best foot forward.  but unfortunately there are a lot of people who do not have the luxury of a dedicated audio space that they can do with what they please. When you are forced to put your system in a shared space that usually involves compromises in the way that the room is set up because of the other people involved and the other ways that the space is used. No self respecting audiophile would choose to put a couch or a glass table in a spot that would be detrimental to the sound. But if you are in a shared space you often have no choice. Even when you are moving into a new house it is rare that you will be decorating the space from scratch , so you will also have the additional obstacle of setting up the system around furniture that you already own.

And I do know this from first hand experience. After having a dedicate audio room in the basement for 30 years where I put what I wanted where I wanted it and had free reign to place any kind of acoustic  treatment where ever I wanted, I moved into a house where the only plausible place to put my system was in the Living Room, the first place people see when they walk into the house. This lead to a number of changes to my system that I never would have made had I still had my own space. For example there was not a single place in the room where Ii could have put my big ARC VT-200 tube amp without tripping over it and yes, the speakers are located closer to the wall than I would have placed them if the room was bigger. But sometime you just have to do what you have to do.

I could have thrown caution to the wind and just set things up they way I felt was best for audio, but then it would have been hard to say that the system sounded better for it when I couldn't listen to it at all after being thrown out of the house.  :rofl:

So when you see a system that is set up "poorly" is is often not that the owner improperly set up the gear, but rather he did the best he could given the situation he had to deal with.

StereoNut:
The good 'ol WAF strikes again!  :duh

SN

tmazz:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version