Systemic Development > Speakers

Beefing Up An Old Speaker Cabinet

<< < (2/3) > >>

Nick B:

--- Quote from: James Edward on June 12, 2021, 02:08:25 PM ---Just a follow-up… I’ve settled on this- it will serve to beef up the box a bit and also eliminate the need for the fiberglass insulation, resulting in a neater project.
https://www.parts-express.com/Sonic-Barrier-1-1-4-3-Layer-Damping-Material-w-PSA-18-x-24-260-535
My friend still wants to refinish the cabinets, but the crossovers are rebuilt, and the speaker drivers are in. I’ll post some pics when these babies are singing. I should say I’ll TRY and post some pics!
Rebuilt crossovers done by Scott at SG Custom Sound Douglaston, NY
Drivers from Madisound- Brian was VERY helpful in getting drivers that fit and corresponded to the original T/S parameters.
I guess the proof will be in the pudding when these are finally together.

--- End quote ---

Yes, pls keep us posted. As to posting pics, I feel your pain… I’m able to post online pics, but none from my iPhoto library….  not yet at least  :lol:  the old heic, jpg, jpeg problem

rollo:

--- Quote from: James Edward on June 12, 2021, 02:08:25 PM ---Just a follow-up… I’ve settled on this- it will serve to beef up the box a bit and also eliminate the need for the fiberglass insulation, resulting in a neater project.
https://www.parts-express.com/Sonic-Barrier-1-1-4-3-Layer-Damping-Material-w-PSA-18-x-24-260-535
My friend still wants to refinish the cabinets, but the crossovers are rebuilt, and the speaker drivers are in. I’ll post some pics when these babies are singing. I should say I’ll TRY and post some pics!
Drivers from Madisound- Brian was VERY helpful in getting drivers that fit and corresponded to the original T/S parameters.

--- End quote ---

Decent choice however No-Rez is King in that department. I would install wood dowels forced into place to stiffen cabinet. Have fun.

charles

James Edward:

--- End quote ---
They are finally together- after two years! I’ll figure out a way to get some pictures on here. They sound good too- props to SG Custom Sound for the crossovers, and Madisound for all the back and forth regarding drivers that would fit both the cabinet and original specifications- these were purchased in 1980!
A little tung oil rub and the cabinets don’t look too shabby either.
Thanks to all who gave suggestions.

Nick B:

--- Quote from: James Edward on May 02, 2023, 07:20:42 AM ---

--- End quote ---
They are finally together- after two years! I’ll figure out a way to get some pictures on here. They sound good too- props to SG Custom Sound for the crossovers, and Madisound for all the back and forth regarding drivers that would fit both the cabinet and original specifications- these were purchased in 1980!
A little tung oil rub and the cabinets don’t look too shabby either.
Thanks to all who gave suggestions.

--- End quote ---

Great news! Would enjoy seeing the pics. Any idea what format the pics you’ll be posting are? jpeg,jpg, heic…?

S Clark:
Pictures!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version