Systemic Development > Speakers

Treating Speaker Driver For Ringing

(1/3) > >>

James Edward:
Good Afternoon,
As some may know, I use Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S speakers, and I’m quite happy with the sound. But, since this site uses the word ‘nervosa’, and I am certainly afflicted, here goes...
It is an open baffle design, and the drivers use stamped baskets. I’ve never heard ringing from them, though how sure can one be? Nervosa.
Being open baffle, the speaker frame is easily accessible. I was thinking of using Dynamat, or a similar substance on the frame. These speakers use modified pro audio 15” drivers from Eminence. I know I can just try it and see, but some of these products aren’t cheap.
Then my nervosa kicked in again and wondered- maybe I would kill the sound I love by deadening the frame. But I hardly think Eminence drivers are designed like some British speaker cabinets designed to flex and add to the overall character of the speaker.
Thoughts appreciated.

S Clark:
I would bet that Spatial has waterfall plots if you email him.  Otherwise, you have nothing to lose by deadening the frame of the woofers, maybe nothing gained, but no harm done. 

Folsom:
I think Ron measured them at NRD.

Also I highly doubt you'd gain anything by doing this.

P.I.:
I have used caulking cord for years on stamped baskets.  It is called Mortite.  Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-B2-Caulking-19-Ounce/dp/B000LNODSQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=mortite+caulking+cord&qid=1614744792&sr=8-3

Use into the inside of the basket that faces the cone.  It will reduce ringing... a lot!

Nick B:
Jim,
You won’t be out a lot of 💰 for Dave’s suggestion

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version