Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

AVA T8 reviewed in TAS

(1/2) > >>

richidoo:
Dick Olsher reviewed it in the new TAS which arrived by mail today. I think he did a good job of describing the positive aspects, but he did not like the midrange/treble tone/texture. Didn't like the phono section either. Actually he didn't like the headphone amp either, due to being a SS opamp. But he said if you bury it under a tubey romantic amplifier, you can sit back and 'relax' and enjoy. Hmmm, is that good? 

The problems he had with tone could be related to the stock tubes, which are standard production cheap stuff. I love the design and features of this amp. In every way it is a perfect preamp for me, so I bought one yesterday so I could check out the one variable you can't tell from spec sheet, the sound. AVA 30 day satisfaction guarantee made it a safe decision. If it sounds great as everyone says, I'll keep it. If it sounds less great like my favorite reviewer says, I won't. I also bought some NOS cryo tubes for linestage and will try some Telefunken and RCA phono tubes. I hope I like it better than Dick did.
Rich

Bunky:
I would hope so! :rofl:

miklorsmith:
Ears for gears, everyone's are different.  I know you've been pondering this for a while.  Congratulations and good luck!

WEEZ:
My local "Books-A-Million" won't have the new issue of TAS 'till Saturday, so I haven't read the review yet.

Best to listen with your own ears in your own system, that's for sure. Over the years, many of the components that Olsher has written about don't sound anything like he described when I had a chance to hear them. His 'bias' leans toward more 'vintage' sounding tubed equipment (he has admitted so). So it's no surprise that the T8 didn't trip his trigger.

While I look forward to reading the review; I'm much more interested in 'your' impression, Rich. :-|

WEEZ

richidoo:
Thanks Guys! That is very helpful for my nervosa! But I'm not worried. :) T8 is well-loved by many. I'm also gonna try the Minimax Preamp and the SAS 11A, of course. Glad to finally be in the preamp search.
Rich

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version