Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

Balanced Audio Technology Vk 60 Tube Amplifier

(1/2) > >>

Bunky:
This Big dark heavy gunmetal grey Tube Amp showed up at my doorstep today. it uses four 6SN7 driver tubes per channel and two 6C33C-B power triodes per channel and features automatic individual biasing of the output tubes. Having a rated 60 Watts per channel in stereo configuration It uses no solid state devices in the signal path.It is a dual mono construction, Zero feedback design.It uses a single-ended bridge output stage combining the best features of both push-pull and single ended circuits. i got the topology info from the white papers that were shipped with it in the original double boxes along with the owners manual,tubes and a skinny IEC power cable.it seems at least as powerful as my Sonic Frontiers SFS 80 which is rated at 80 Watts per channel. the SFS 80 sounds really nice but i feel that the VK60 is a better sounding Amplifier from top to bottom.I am a happy camper :D thanks....WCW III

lonewolfny42:

--- Quote ---This Big dark heavy gunmetal grey Tube Amp showed up at my doorstep today.
--- End quote ---

Wow !!! Holy Batman....do you think it's lost ?

Maybe... notify the police....fill out a missing amp report.  :rofl:

Enjoy WCW...its a nice amp....does get a little hot....but good solid bass. :D/

Bunky:
I plan on getting another VK 60 and replacing the 4 Jensen paper in oil capacitors in the signal path of each Amplifier with .22 V-cap teflons.i want to convert both amps to mono configuration and be running a Hot Rodded 120 wpc pair of monoblocks in my tube rig.does this sound like a good idea ? thanks....WCW III

richidoo:
You might get stuck in your listening chair forever!

For me, going from 70wpc stereo to 100wpc monos made a BIG difference. Teflons sound like a good idea to try. Might be interesting to try to jury rig a switch to allow you to switch back and forth because when the teflons finally break in you will have long forgotten what the jensens sounded like. Of course the difference may be obvious. I would like to know which you preferred, as I have same jensens in my cary. Even Cary says upgrade to the oil/coppers.

What are your speakers, Bunky? If they are hungry, not sharing the power transformer will be noticeable improvement. You could also try biamping for kicks before you break out the soldering iron.

Be sure to show us a pic when you get all 24 tubes glowing. 16 vintage 6sn7s might need a credit card upgrade too.  haha
Rich

Bunky:
Hey Rich,Right now i am running them with a minty pair of vintage Polk Audio RTA 12C'S with some New and improved replacement silk dome tweeters. these are oldies but goodies and one of the best non SDA loudspeakers that Polk Audio ever made.i am thinking of getting some Silverline Audio Sonata or Sonatina loudspeaker's or maybe some Audiophysic loudspeakers. i am still undecided at this point  :-k thanks....WCW III

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version